A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 92357 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #530 on: October 13, 2013 07:42:53 PM »

Class: Dumbledores Army, Have a Drink in the Hog's Head
House: Ravenclaw
Title: Deep Dish Chicken Pie
Link: none, but I got it from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Description: This deep dish pie is huge. It will easily feed six to eight people and is a huge crowd pleaser. I made this one for a potluck we were going to at my cousins house.
I adjusted the recipe to use a pie pastry topper that I had already made and frozen. It is basically the same recipe as the one below except I made 1/3 of it using whole wheat flour. I changed out the bell pepper for carrots since thats what I had on hand. And, no, I didnt wait the full 20 min before serving. Seriously, I only waited 10 and you could tell the difference from before when I had waited. Its much more liquidy if you dont wait so take the extra 10 min and please WAIT!!

Deep-Dish Chicken Pie
1 Pastry topper (recipe follows)
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper (I used thinly sliced carrots)
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp poultry seasoning (I also added half a teaspoon of cumin)
1/4 tsp black peppper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half, light cream or milk (I used 2% milk)
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cups loose-pack frozen peas
1 beaten egg

Prepare pastry topper; set aside

In a large saucepan cook onions, mushrooms, celery, and sweet pepper in hot butter over medium heat for four to five minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour, poultry seasoning, cumin, pepper and salt. Add broth and half and half all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour into a deep dish pie crock or 2 quart rectangular baking dish.

Place pastry over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry under; flute to edges of dish. Brush pastry with some of the egg.

Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand about 20 minutes before serving.

Pastry Topper:
In a medium bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until dough pieces are pea-sized. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Sprinkle an additional 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water over remaining flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until all dough is moistened. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13X9 inch rectangle, or whichever size will fit your dish with one inch overlapping. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape after placing over top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: October 13, 2013 09:06:41 PM »

I know this is a bit late but I wanted to post it anyways and I'll do some catch up tomorrow!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bean- Apple
Project Name: Apples are Rubbish Necklace
Brief Description: Im not a big fan of just apples, I love applesauce, juice, cider and pie but I dont really love eating them fresh. So I decided to draw some inspiration from my friend the Doctor and make this necklace.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Magpirate
« Reply #532 on: October 13, 2013 09:27:54 PM »

DragonChilde, that mandrake is awesome!  I love all the different textures.

Jellybean89 - I've never heard of applesauce bread, but yours looks delicious.  Smiley

Jenleahlyn, fantastic work on the bag and patches.  That castle is beautiful.  And I'm amazed at the detail you got into the Gryffindor patch, great work!

Tiamatfire, I adore the pattern on your mittens.

Nicajeanie, nice job on the grannie squares!  The rainbow one is my favorite, it's so bright and happy.

Audania1 - Those recipes are making me hungry!  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try your chicken salad/apple/honey sandwich, but I could definitely go for some chicken pot pie!

BadWolf314 - That necklace made me giggle.  Cheesy

Magpirate, that's a neat cuff! Did you just use tin snips to cut and bend?

Thanks!  I actually just used an old dull pair of regular scissors to cut it out.  Then I bent the edges so they wouldn't be sharp, then again at an angle to make the twisty bit in the middle.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy class
Project Name: Four Elements Etched Stones
Project Page Link: Yes!
Brief Description: There are four alchemical elements - earth, air, fire, and water.  I used glass etching cream to etch symbols for each of these elements onto polished stones of appropriate colors.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #533 on: October 14, 2013 05:35:52 AM »

Joining the SPEW-crew late in the game, Naantje wanders around the entrance to the club room for a while, before shyly slipping inside and trying to blend in as if she was always there already. Slytherin was in desperate need for extra SPEW-representation ...

I've made three hats for the Innocent Big Knit (or Goedgemutste Breicampagne here in Flanders, which has an ambiguous meaning: it can both be good-humoured knitting campaign as well-hatted knitting campaign. Our deadline for submission is December 1st) two knitted bottlehats and one crochet. Good use for scraps Smiley Even though they are rather small, I'd still like to submit these as three separate projects, because all in all, these three hats took me about five hours to make. The striped crochet one  was quickest at about an hour, I think the knitted ones took me 75 mins for the striped one and 135 mins for the spotted one. My knitting speed is increasing, but colourwork does complicate things. The spotted pattern required plenty of concentration and also a couple of times frogging because of serious tension issues! For both I had a lot of problems with my thread tangling. Anyway, great use for scraps.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: SPEW
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Striped Smoothie Hat
Brief Description:
Knitting hats for everyone's welfare! I knit this tiny hat for the Big Knit campaign by Innocent, a brand of smoothies that will outfit their bottles with hats during the month of January and will donate 0.20 to "Welfare-care" for each behatted bottle sold.  Welzijnszorg (welfare-care) supports poor people in Belgium in many ways, like organising summer camps for poor children, workshops "cheaply cooking healthy food" and care for pregnant women that live in poverty. Over the past two years, the campaign has raised 70,000!
Project Picture:

Project Name: Spotted Smoothie Hat
Brief Description:
Knitting hats for everyone's welfare! I knit this tiny hat for the Big Knit campaign by Innocent, a brand of smoothies that will outfit their bottles with hats during the month of January and will donate 0.20 to "Welfare-care" for each behatted bottle sold.  Welzijnszorg (welfare-care) supports poor people in Belgium in many ways, like organising summer camps for poor children, workshops "cheaply cooking healthy food" and care for pregnant women that live in poverty. Over the past two years, the campaign has raised 70,000!
Project Picture:

Project Name: Striped Smoothie Hat
Brief Description:
Crafting hats for everyone's welfare! I crocheted this tiny hat for the Big Knit campaign by Innocent, a brand of smoothies that will outfit their bottles with hats during the month of January and will donate 0.20 to "Welfare-care" for each behatted bottle sold.  Welzijnszorg (welfare-care) supports poor people in Belgium in many ways, like organising summer camps for poor children, workshops "cheaply cooking healthy food" and care for pregnant women that live in poverty. Over the past two years, the campaign has raised 70,000!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic
Project Name: Diamond Speckled Baby Hat (Knitting pattern included on the project page!)
Project Page: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428246
Brief Description:
Events in recent history that were chronicled in the seven part biographic book series that focuses on Harry Potter's puberty and secondary education have forced scholars to edit and expand the work of renowned magical historian Bathilda Bagshot. Changes to the latest revision include:
- the renaming of the chapter "The legend of Slytherin's Chamber of Secrets" to "The Chamber of Secrets". The revised chapter includes the historical basilisk attacks with a list of all victims, with a special attention for the fatality of muggle-born Myrtle, the key role the basilisk fangs played in defeating the Dark Lord Voldemort and the decision of the current headmaster to convert the space to a museum about the second wizarding war and the battle for Hogwarts. A silent sanctuary will be created in the antechamber, where students and staff can meditate and connect to lost loved ones and relatives.
- the chapter "The building and its grounds" includes a couple of paragraphs about the room of requirement (an explanation of it's properties: what it can and can't do, it's unique ability to recover from fiendfyre and references to more indepth studies of the rooms physical and magical properties) and a single paragraph on the shrieking shack.
- expansion of the list of notable residents
- an all-new chapter about the wizarding wars
- the all new-chapter "Hogwarts as the cradle for magical equality" that focuses on the birth of the equality movement in the timeframe between both wizarding wars, where we see an increasing acceptance of half-blood and muggle-born witches and wizards, efforts to rehabilitate werewolves and the foundation of SPEW, the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare, by Miss Hermione Granger. This society searched to empower the house-elves, grant them recognition and free them from slavery. This chapter explores how the sparks that originated at the school spread out into the regular wizarding community, laudes the house-elfs for their valiant contributions in the battle for Hogwarts and discusses the emancipation of these and many other sentient magical creatures.

I was inspired by this last chapter. I had this vivid image of Hermione sitting in the Gryffindor common room by the fireplace, diligently knitting elf hats while reading ahead in her textbooks. As her knitting improved, I imagine she tried giving each hat a more unique appeal, so that every house elf could find something to match their tastes.

I knit this hat using the magic loop technique. It's a bit more laborious than knitting in the round on double pointed needles, but since you don't get "ladders" when you change needles, the end result does look a lot tidier. Apart from the spotted bottle-hat above, this is my first go at stranded colourwork. The pattern is adjusted from this red heart pattern: http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/stripe-knit-baby-hat
I'm really pleased with the end result, my tension was quite even throughout, the loops on the inside are neither too tight nor too loose, and I'm pleased with the shape of the diamonds. I really wasn't sure how they'd turn out!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Ant Bee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #534 on: October 14, 2013 07:11:22 AM »

Ant Bee, I always love your S.P.E.W. reviews - the poetry is so fun and reminds me of the Sorting Hat  Grin

Aww, thanks!

I'm definitely going to try your pie recipe next month- I love meat pies for supper in cold weather.

I've been so exhausted that I've barely crafted and although I read (and oohed and ahhed) over everyone's postings I've not had the energy to reply a proper kudos. I think I will go make some coffee, put on some yoga pants and give the dogs a long-lasting chewy treat so I can craft some responses to the awesomeness that is this group.

OH! But first I have to share this:

Last night my friend and I were in a Muggle coffee shop and there was an older (than us) man there (Probably in his 70s, I'd say) who was working at another table. I'm not lying when I tell you he was totally a wizard from Hogwarts.  No, seriously, you guys, he was wearing rugby style sweater in GRYFFINDOR quidditch colors and when we walked by him to leave he had a bandless analog watch on the table amidst notebooks and worn copies of books. He was writing very fast on the last page of a very full notebook that had almost every inch of space covered in writing in a foreign language (I think. It could've just been messy. I didn't want to be rude and stare. more.) When we got out into the parking lot my friend turned and excitedly said, "Did you see what was in his book? It was A PICTURE OF A CASTLE!"
 Grin

I've decided he is a professor emeritus of history at Hogwarts, newly retired and on a sabbatical in the US to do research on his book  and consult on the muggle version of Newt Scamander's story. His Gryffie team sweater tells me that he was a student at Hogwarts and a star athlete who probably played pro for a while before returning to scholarly pursuits.

The only (only!) thing that would have been better would've been if he was also wearing a woman's nightgown or scuba flippers and if I had had the courage to say "Don't let the muggles get you down" as we passed by his table.

OK, coffee time. Happy Columbus day to fellow U.S. W&Ws and Happy Thanksgiving to you Canadians... Happy everything else to everyone else and of course,

Happy Crafting!

Oh, PS- Nice work, Naantje! Thanks for getting some Caring points for Slytherin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #535 on: October 14, 2013 02:02:44 PM »

Oh, thank goodness for make-up day for DA. I was pretty bummed to have missed it. Thanks for the extension!

Mmm...chicken salad...looks yummy!
The Hogwarts bag is phenomenal. Excellent painting jenleahlynn.
tia, I cannot wrap my head around colourwork knitting at all and am totally in awe of your mittens.
Love the upcycled bracelet, Magpirate! Great way to recycle.

Feels good to be hanging around the castle again. I was getting sirius withdrawal.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #536 on: October 14, 2013 03:59:54 PM »

Ant- bee, your story reminds me of a newpaper story I read and cut out to piut inside my work locker because it made me laugh so much -

in London, we have 'oyster cards' that are basically pre-pay cards you use on the transport system; they have an rfid chip so busy commuters don't have to take them out of their wallets to scan them over the barriers at tube stations and as they get on buses. Well, this guy had taken the chip out of his and put it in the and of his homemade wand, so instead of swiping a wallet like most people, he'd just point his wand at the reader and the doors would 'magically' open for him. How cool is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #537 on: October 14, 2013 04:19:09 PM »

Ant- bee, your story reminds me of a newpaper story I read and cut out to piut inside my work locker because it made me laugh so much -

in London, we have 'oyster cards' that are basically pre-pay cards you use on the transport system; they have an rfid chip so busy commuters don't have to take them out of their wallets to scan them over the barriers at tube stations and as they get on buses. Well, this guy had taken the chip out of his and put it in the and of his homemade wand, so instead of swiping a wallet like most people, he'd just point his wand at the reader and the doors would 'magically' open for him. How cool is that?

I need to find that guy and marry him.
True story.
lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: October 14, 2013 06:35:37 PM »

True story.
lol

Good.  We'll all be at the wedding.  I have my jar of Floo Powder at the ready.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Fall Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #539 on: October 14, 2013 07:50:28 PM »

True story.
lol

Good.  We'll all be at the wedding.  I have my jar of Floo Powder at the ready.
Ooh, yay! Sunshine yellow robes for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Homemade Felt Board
How to Create Easy Book Covers
How to Create a Mending Kit from a Mason Jar
How to Make Animal-Themed Towels for Kids
How to Silk Screen Your Own Designs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...