A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 92615 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhistleFish
« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2013 05:36:24 PM »

@SiakelA: I'm glad you liked it!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Magpirate
« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2013 06:24:59 PM »

Great bookmarks, WhistleFish!  I am also reading the series yet again, and your bookmarks are much nicer than the ones I've been using (usually a scrap of whatever paper happens to be nearby).

Nicajeanie, those clips are super cute!  I especially like the crab.  Smiley

Rockmygypsysoul, I love the stamps!  (Although I have to admit that despite being a child of the 80's, I don't recognize the middle one.  Huh )  Also your pillow made me giggle.  Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA - Fear of a Name challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Fused Glass Pendant
Brief Description: I did it!!  Grin  I was pretty nervous about using my microwave glass fusing kiln for the first time, but I followed midkiffsjoy's excellent safety advice:

You're right about glass being a little scary, but I think it's really all in our heads.  You're gonna wear gloves, not put the cat anywhere near the microwave, and follow the directions, right?

...and nothing terrible happened, and it turns out that using a microwave kiln was not nearly as frightening as I was expecting.  Actually I think I'm more likely to cut myself on glass shards than burn myself (or the cat, or the apartment) with molten glass, even if it is over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have discovered that by far the hardest part of glass fusing (for me, anyway) is waiting the required thirty minutes between taking the kiln out of the microwave and taking off the lid.  If you remove the lid too soon, your glass can cool down too quickly and it might crack.  I had to have four different projects going while I experimented so I wouldn't get too impatient with waiting.   Roll Eyes

Project Picture:

All the bits I've fused so far...

This one was my favorite so I put a wire loop on the back and turned it into a pendant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2013 06:48:12 PM »

Class: SoAR
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Roseberry
Brief Description: A bigger version of Fizzy.  It's for my daughter as a huggy friend.  Everyone deserves a special huggy to embrace when you are feeling low.  A special huggy, especially one made and/or given to you by a loved one, gives a sense of love during sad or hard times, and is meant to give one the sense that though you are low, that this will pass and that you are loved...no matter what!
Project Picture:

Crafty Details
Yarn Used:  Impeccable Ombre by Loops & Threads-Colorway: Holland-Used 1.75 skeins
Hook Used: Ghook
Measures: 17-1/2 inches tall

Challenge: Lobster Bean
Project Name: Ocean Blue Washcloth
Brief Description: Not only inspired coloring of the ocean, but homemade washcloths & dishcloths remind me of my mom & grandmother, who made there home fully of homey, crafty goodness.  These pieces were unique to my home and added a sense of love and comfort that only handmade items can bring.  I hope my children will have the cherish the handmade and feel its meaning of love as I do.
Project Picture:

(one of my fave colorways)

Class: Astronomy
Project Name: Viridi Arneam aka Webster
Free Pattern Link: Sheep(ish) Spiders by Allison Hoffman
Brief Description:
Long ago, long, long agowhen the earth was very new, the animals had no fire. Why. without fire they kept bumping into one another, Hey, watch it. You just stepped on my toe! And, it was difficult to find food no fire.  One day Raven came swooping down into the forest. He called for the animals to come together for he had big news. Ive seen it! he cawed. "Fire! It is beautiful. Full of color!"  Someone must go and bring fire back, so we can all enjoy it, said Raven.  The animals looked at one another. And just where did you say that this fire is?   At the edge of the world. It is a long way away, but someone must go! ...Many animals went to fetch the fire...the possum, the buzzard..but none could succeed at catching the fire.Finally, one day, Grandmother Spider came forward. I will go, she said in her weak, humble voice.  What? cried the others you will go! Hah! You are too little, too weak, too slow andtoo old.  Yes, I am old, but I have listened to the stories you told about trying to get fire. I understand fire. I may be slow, but sometimes slow is better, and as far as being too little and too weak, I think not. Strength can be measured in many ways.  Unlike the other animals before her, Grandmother prepared for her journey. She found some wet clay and fashioned it into a small pot that she place on her back. Then, she set out for that lake of fire. Step by slow step, she marched on and on and on. It was a very long time by the time Grandmother Spider found the fire. She thanked the fire for its beauty and heat. She asked if she could have just a small coal to place in her clay pot. Fire gave Grandmother Spider a tiny coal. Now, the clay pot had had plenty of time to dry out and was ready for the fire. She put the pot on her back and started on her long, long journey back. As she walked the coal grew bright firing the inside of the pot to make it strong. Finally, Grandmother Spider came home to her animal friends. They gathered around. Grandmother, Grandmother! they cried, where is the fire.  Oh, now be patient. Gather some dry sticks and leaves and logs for me. Quickly, the animals did as grandmother said. Then, she carefully poured out the red-hot coal onto the wood. Immediately, it burst into flames. The animals cheered. Yes, Grandmother Spider. You have brought us the light.  In Grandmothers wisdom she took some of the sparks from the fire and placed them inside trees and rocks, so others could make fire without going to the Lake of Fire.   Grandmother Spider was very tired, but she knew she had to do one more thing. So, she took her pot and put in two coals and walked to the top of a tall mountain. There she threw the larger piece into the sky and that became the sun. Then she threw the smaller piece, and that became the moon. She then took the sparks at the bottom of the pot and threw them into the air and they became the stars in the sky. She then, spun a web around the universe. To this day, she pushes and pulls on that web so that the sun and moon and stars move to provide day and night and the seasons of the year. It was Grandmother Spider who taught us many things. She taught us about pottery and weaving. She taught us about fire and light and dark. She taught us that we are all connected on the web - each one of us having our place in this world.

The Grandmother Spider, sometimes referred to as Spider Woman, legend goes back to Pre-Columbian times. In fact, as far back as the Maya, Olmec, and pre-Toltec civilizations.  In this legend, she creates the sun, stars, and moon. 

For my Astronomy homework, I represent this legend of the moon's creation with a spider, a common symbol of Grandmother Spider.

Project Picture:

I've been busy trying to wrap up my Hogwarts swap package and Fear of a Name...amongst regular busy things.  These have delayed my updating, but don't fret.  I haven't forgotten you and will update before week's end. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #413 on: September 30, 2013 10:28:13 PM »

Rockmygypsysoul, I love the stamps!  (Although I have to admit that despite being a child of the 80's, I don't recognize the middle one.  Huh )  Also your pillow made me giggle.  Smiley

The middle one is from Rainbow Brite - her little dudes that followed her around (I forget their names  Cheesy)

Thanks about the pillow - what's really fun is that it combines two elements of home - my home and family with my husband and the green giant easy chair that takes up a huge chunk of my craft room that used to live in my parents' house.  It was dubbed the makeout chair at parties I threw as it was required for each person to make out with someone in the chair at their first party at my place.  Cheesy

I am LOVING your fused glass!!  What microwave kiln is it and would you recommend it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #414 on: October 01, 2013 05:56:23 AM »

Love to Erin xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Magpirate
« Reply #415 on: October 01, 2013 06:31:55 AM »

I am LOVING your fused glass!!  What microwave kiln is it and would you recommend it?

Thanks!  Cheesy  What I have is a Fuseworks Beginner's Fusing Kit, which costs about a hundred bucks but it comes with the kiln, kiln paper (so your glass doesn't get fused to the bottom of the kiln), heat-resistant gloves, a glass cutter, samples of different kinds of glass to play with, and jewelry findings for your finished pieces.  (Also instructions.)  As far as microwave kilns go, this is the only kind I've ever seen for sale, so it might be the only option out there.  It is definitely cheaper than getting a standalone kiln though, and I think it's a good intro to working in glass.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology class
Project Name: Whomping Willow in Wire
Project Page Link: Yes.
Brief Description: My cat got me up early this morning so I decided to be productive and make a twisted-wire Whomping Willow.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #416 on: October 01, 2013 07:15:34 AM »

Love to Erin xxx

Sending some from Jersey, too!

Love the fused glass pendants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #417 on: October 01, 2013 02:07:29 PM »

Challenge: Bertie Botts: Apple
Project Name: Poison Apple
Brief Description: I was inspired by the apple from Snow White and dyed this yarn yo go with it. To me, the apple would not exist or pose a threat without the witch, so I had to incorporate her into it as well.

**I am excited to find a way to participate in the HPC again because dyeing is a Craftster category. I really hope my knitting will become more frequent and I'll be able to participate that way.**
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013 08:24:22 AM by pinkleo - Reason: edit to comply to Craftster's guidelines & add bigger pic of fab yarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: October 02, 2013 11:53:03 AM »

Awesome projects!!!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defence Against the Dark Arts
Project Name: Pergola
Brief Description: Long and labor intensive projects are my weakness when it comes to crafting I get distracted fairly easily. So when the husband suggested we build a pergola, I knew I was in for a challenge. After much moaning and groaning, sore muscles and rainy days, we were finally able to get it built and stained! Probably worth the work but we wont really get to use it till next spring/summer.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
stillatthetop
« Reply #419 on: October 02, 2013 12:21:15 PM »

Beautiful. I can't wait for the update with the vines, etc. growing up on it.
You might like to take advantage of the after summer sales for some large growing pots to put around it?
Wonderful job. Looks like cedar??? That will last you for years and years.
I love honeysuckle vines. And there are several other flowering vines that are way pretty. Tea rose comes to mind, too. And you get rose hips for tea from those, as well (steep in water...edible, and sweet.. decoctions, I believe they are called). You both did fine, sore muscles and all  Wink

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Pastels Makeup Tutorial
Summer Corals Makeup Tutorial
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...