A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 90096 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

netchez
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2013 08:25:10 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: S.P.E.W.
House: Raveclaw
Project Name: Ollie the Owl
Project Page Link (if available): www.redheart.com/ollie owl (pattern LW2757)
Brief Description: This little stuffed owl will be donated to the local women's shelter.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpirate
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2013 08:57:53 PM »

Aww, I love the house pride owls!  Ravenclaw has the cutest one.  And of course I'm not at all biased.  Wink  Now I need to get my House Unity on because that owl is FIERCE.

Noodle-bug, that really sucks.  Sad  Your housemate deserves a thousand Howlers and a dragon bite.  Or at least, as rockmygypsysoul suggested, a kick in the shins.

I believe I have cranked out more crafts in the last three weeks than I've produced in about three years.  Since I started working full time I'd forgotten how much fun it is to make stuff.  Thanks, HPC!  Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy class
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Phoenix Painting
Project Page Link: Right here
Brief Description: The Uroboros is a symbol of cycles, rebirth, and infinity.  A creature that embodies eternal cycles of rebirth is the phoenix.  I made an acrylic painting on a 4"x4" mini canvas of a phoenix rising from its ashes, completing (or beginning) another cycle.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2013 10:14:24 AM »

Class: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Mermaid's Dream Charm Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427703.0#axzz2fuL0C5o3
Brief Description:  I've been making so many new charm bracelets!  Here's one of the new ones that I've been dreaming about for a while now.  I wanted the colors to be reminiscent of the shimmering iridescent quality of scales. The beads are a mix of freshwater pearls, fire polished glass, Czech glass, and iridescent crystal beads in the four colors of purple, blue green, yellow & rose.  The charms include mermaids, seahorses, shells, fish, squid, octopus, and a tail fin. (*Please note that any bracelets posted as class projects are NOT being counted towards my NEWT goal.*)
Project Picture:

Challenge: Bertie Bott's - Lobster
Project Name: Connecticut Style Lobster Roll

Brief Description:  Since I've been dreaming about Lobster Rolls, which were the inspiration for this prompt, I finally got around to making some!  Well....  Sorta....  You see, fresh lobster isn't really available much in Kentucky.  And what is available is incredibly "overpriced" to a girl who grew up 40 minutes from the coast, with fresh seafood delivered to every grocery store each morning.  Add to that the fact that the traditional split-top style hot dog rolls that New Englanders prefer don't seem to be sold in the rest of the country, and you have to start making some choices.  And by choices I mean substitutions.  So, I present to you a recipe for a traditional Connecticut style Lobster Roll, and a variation on said recipe.  (Note: Connecticut style Lobster Rolls vary from what many outsiders consider a New England Lobster Roll, which is really a Maine style Lobster Roll.  Maine style consists of a creamy dressing made of mayo.  Some recipes call for the meat to be drowned in it to the point that you loose the lobster flavor.  Connecticut style uses melted butter and lemon juice as the dressing.  This has been your regional food lesson of the day.  I feel Alton Brown would be proud of me.)
Project Picture:

Connecticut Style Lobster Roll Recipe
Two 1 1/2-pound lobsters*
2 lemons, 1 juiced plus 1 wedged for garnish
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
4 New England split-top rolls, or potato hot dog buns
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/3 tsp. paprika
Salted butter, softened to toast buns
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Directions
Steam the lobster in 2 inches of boiling water until bright pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately shock in an ice bath, and then remove the tail and claw meat. Chop and reserve.

Melt 1 stick unsalted butter in a saucepan with the juice of 1 lemon and 1/3 teaspoon paprika. Remove from the heat; stir in the lobster meat and chives. Season with salt and fresh black pepper.    

Brush the outside of each split-top roll with some butter and griddle or toast until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to allow the butter to drain as you fill each roll.  Please note that you will have a large pool of butter left over.  Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side, as well as the traditional side of potato chips and a pickle.  (Note, I forgot and ate my homemade pickled brussels sprouts before remembering to take the picture. Sad)

*Variation for those of you living without fresh lobster & split top buns: You can do what I did and use either frozen pre-cooked lobster meat, or a mix of half imitation lobster meat and half shrimp, roughly chopped.  Cook the shrimp in a small skillet, chop, then add to the melted butter along with the lobster.  Since the rolls are not split-topped, open up your regular rolls and lightly butter.  Grill them split open for a few minutes to get them warm and crispy.

Class: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name: Guardian Angel Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427702.0#axzz2fuL0C5o3
Brief Description: Another new charm bracelet!  This one was inspired by my aunt, who is a devout Catholic and firm believer in the help of guardian angels.  The charms include hearts, wings, and the angels Samuel, Rafael, Gabriel, Jaliel, Michael, Uriel.  The beads are a mix of glass, Czech glass, crystal, moonstone, clear quartz crystal, rose quartz for love, and amethyst for protection.
Project Picture:

Class: Frog Choir
Project Name: Celtic Knot Charm Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427701.0#axzz2fuL0C5o3
Brief Description: I've been collecting the beads and charms for this last bracelet for a couple of years, and while it didn't come out how I envisioned it at all, I'm trilled with the different direction it took and the finished bracelet.  The beads are a collection of green and tan Czech Druk glass, rivershell, moss agate, green aventurine, and bloodstone.  I'm sure the Frog Choir would approve of my green/Earth toned color palette.  Wink
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013 05:47:12 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2013 11:47:11 AM »

jennie, your bracelets look AMAZING!

~*HPC NOTICE: Our Deputy Headmistress jennieingram has changed her name to Mistress Jennie.  Please note this when you are sending owl posts and PMs.*~
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 11:49:58 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2013 11:48:36 AM »

Mistress Jennie I think Alton would be proud! He's my favorite!!! And as always AMAZING bracelets!!!
Magpirate Awesome phoenix!!!
netchez Such a cute little owl!!!!
pinkleo Those owls are SO ADORABLE!!!!!!
And so many other awesome projects!!!

I've been working on my OWL and now have 163 blocks done. That's not quite half way and by my original estimations I was supposed to be done by about now... man I was way off!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bean: Lobster
Project Name: Hulk Stamp
Brief Description: Growing up my mother collected rubber stamps and would always use them to make cards for gifts. When it comes to having to give someone a birthday/thank you/Christmas card, I really miss my mothers stack of pre-made ones that didnt cost me a penny. So I carved this stamp to use to make some cards probably just Birthday Boy ones, but I couldnt resist! The Hulk is my favorite!!!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Fear of a Name Challenge
Project Name: The 10th Doctor Digital Drawing
Brief Description: As a programmer I consider myself very adept at the computer, but I have always refused to try digital drawing. I dont consider myself very good at drawing with pen and paper and then trying to be as accurate and precise on something as temperamental as a computer, didnt sound like something I could even begin to try. I still dont think Ill ever be great at it but at least I can say I have done it and its not as scary as before.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: September 25, 2013 12:12:05 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress.....

Oh wait, pinkleo already explained!  Wink  As she mentioned, I've changed my username.  I made sure to keep the same avatar and signature, so you'd realize it was me.  Smiley  (I've had a couple of people find me in "real life", and it was enough to make me want a little bit more privacy.)

Mistress Jennie I think Alton would be proud! He's my favorite!!! And as always AMAZING bracelets!!!

Warning: Fangirl moment about to happen...   OMFG, I'm going to see Alton Brown Live in November!!!  I just bought myself tickets for my birthday, even though it's weeks away.  I was so disappointed that I missed the promised hot air balloon ride 2 weeks ago, that I told my husband he *HAS* to take me to see Alton down in Nashville in November.  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 02:01:24 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #366 on: September 25, 2013 03:49:23 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying
House:Slytherin
Project Name: EXTERMINATE
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: While doing some flying lessons (and believe me, I need those!!!), I came across one of those. Apparently the muggles use them to clean their dishes (they REALLY need to get either an House Elf !!). The thing on it is called a "Dalek", and apparently it's quite a feared thing that has evolved to fly over a long period. I really wouldn't want to come across one of those - wonder if an "expelliarmus" would remove those suction cup thingies and the eye thing?

This is my first ever knitting project that includes purl stitches (the only things I've done so far were chunky scarves with only knit stitch). And while I can see some missed rows (that Dalek was on a quick diet) and even 1 or 2 dropped stitches and no cast off just yet, I decided to hand in my Challenge for it. ;)I'm sure I'll knit another Dalek Wash Cloth or might even transform it into a blanket with other Doctor Who inspired blocks. Pattern is from Ravelry.

Knitting around here is a bit of a dangerous thing, which I learned the hard way since back from our holidays. The Hobbits constantly shuffle over and either try to take away the wool or play with the needles - doesn't help that my needles are purple - the girls' favourite colour at the moment. Wink I've done it in steps with breaks, and without writing down rows, no row counter and added/dropped stitches I have re-started the wash cloth about 4 times since yesterday!! Shocked I'm going to get some knitting accessories tomorrow at Lidl (including counters!) and then will try my luck again! Wink

Project Picture:

Will do lots of commenting on projects tomorrow .. it's kinda late right now and time for bed (but I stayed up to get that Dalek sorted!! Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #367 on: September 25, 2013 03:53:26 PM »

Umm, just before I head to bed, can the Headmistress or Deputy Headmistress please confirm the following for me (I'm currently a regular with Madame Pomfrey for cold remedies - nasty little things!! And the brain is not working 100%, all gunked up! Sad ):

1) Classes are the same for the full semester - or do they change every month?
2) Detention changes every month
3) Anything else (apart from Bertie Botts Beans) changing every month?

Thanks!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #368 on: September 25, 2013 03:57:07 PM »

Umm, just before I head to bed, can the Headmistress or Deputy Headmistress please confirm the following for me (I'm currently a regular with Madame Pomfrey for cold remedies - nasty little things!! And the brain is not working 100%, all gunked up! Sad ):

1) Classes are the same for the full semester - or do they change every month?
2) Detention changes every month
3) Anything else (apart from Bertie Botts Beans) changing every month?

Thanks!! Smiley

Hope you feel better soon! Kiss

1)Classes remain the same all semester
2)Detention changes every month, but you have all term to complete them.
3)The Bertie Bott's Bean Challenge changes every 2 weeks.  And the new DA Super Challenge has varying deadlines, which are clearly posted.  Other than that, there may be challenge with deadlines within a semester.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 04:00:00 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

3plyproblem

Is it jumper weather yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: September 26, 2013 12:38:03 PM »

[sneaks into the Hufflepuff common room] What are you talking about? I definitely wasn't here a couple of semesters ago as a Ravenclaw, of course not... Now, if you'd kindly pass me a cauldron cake~  Wink

I got super-busy at the beginning of the year and it didn't really let up, but autumn came around and I knew I had to come back to the HPC. You've all made such amazing stuff, I've loved looking through it all to catch up! In my excitement I may have made a colour-coded list of assignments for different classes. Eight projects on there, which is possibly a little overambitious, but I'll try my best!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I got 99 problems and they're all unfinished projects.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Old Hollywood Glam Look
Elegant Updo Hair Tutorial
The Elva Hsiao Asian Look
How to Get Side Swept Bangs
Homemade Moisturizing Hair Conditioner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...