A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 95312 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PotterheadAlways
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2013 05:02:15 PM »

Hi I just registered with craftster to do the harry potter craftalong and stuff so I don't know much about posting pictures or anything I also have a few questions

How long are classes allowed to take is 30 mins the max?

What do you think is a simple class to do first?

Thanks everyone here seems very nice and I look forward to joining you all.
Oh and the sorting hat had a think about me and decided I am a true Gryffindor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2013 05:26:32 PM »

Hi I just registered with craftster to do the harry potter craftalong and stuff so I don't know much about posting pictures or anything I also have a few questions

Thanks everyone here seems very nice and I look forward to joining you all.
Oh and the sorting hat had a think about me and decided I am a true Gryffindor!
Hi PotterheadAlways! Grin Welcome to Hogwarts!  Since you are new, your pictures will not post until you have 15 posts under your belt; best way to do that is spread some love!

As for your questions...
1. 30 minutes is the minimum amount of crafty time for projects.  You can definitely take longer; most of us do. Grin

2. I think that the easiest class/challenge to start off with is the one that inspires you the most.  I am fairly lenient when it comes to how a project fits a prompt; if you try to connect your project to the prompt, then all will be well. (suggestion: use your description to explain how your project fits the prompt).  If the class prompts are an overwhelming beginning point, then I suggest going to serve Detention in the Dungeons.  The September challenge has no specific prompt, only that you finish a WIP aka Work in Progress (which can be projects you haven't quite finished or projects that you bought all the supplies for but never got around to actually making).  And you can always turn-in a House Pride or House Unity; most HP crafters have a project they want to do that fits into one of these challenges.

I hope that helps!  Help can always be found at Hogwarts.  Never hesitate in either posting a question in this thread or sending a PM aka Personal Message to your Headmistresses pinkleo & jennieingram.

I can't wait to see your crafty magic! And ROAR GRYFFINDOR! Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013 05:27:46 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2013 06:02:52 PM »

Welcome to the Gryffindor team Potterhead!

I am in no way knowledgeable about any of this past this being my first semester so I may be totally wrong, so keep that in mind.

Projects are supposed to take you a MINimum of 30 minutes - some projects can take quite a long time but they have to take at least 30 minutes.

I don't think there's any particular class that is easier or harder than others - just whatever inspires you!  As long as it relates back to the prompt and takes you at least half an hour, you're gold.  So whatever strikes you, go for it.  And don't let it bother you if it's not what you thought it might be  Cheesy

You can also do your house pride project, a house unity project, detention, Bertie Bott's mini-challenge, etc - there are plenty of choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #323 on: September 21, 2013 07:36:16 PM »

Hi there, welcome!

30 minutes is the MINIMUM craft time for a class or any challenge project. Personally, I consider that to be 30 minutes active crafting (so not including any drying time/ baking time etc) but I'm not sure if that's a rule as such.
There's no maximum time. But if you are planning something you know will take a few weeks, it's worth considering submitting an OWL proposal, since that can be a nice motivator (see the first page of the craftalong thread for info on that)

I would find it hard to say which classes are simpler. since they are all inspiration points that can be interpreted many ways, that will just depend on what ideas you find inspiring! maybe have a bit of a think, brainstorm on some of the class prompts, and see what you come up with. You are welcome to use techniques and methods that you're familer with, or try new things.

ohh.... pottermouth, great book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
WhistleFish
« Reply #324 on: September 21, 2013 08:18:30 PM »

Class: Charms
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name:  "30 Days of Lists" Page TWO!
Project Page Link: http://two-forty-six.blogspot.com/2013/09/day-12-17-thirty-days-of-lists-pl.html
Brief Description: I've been working hard on my Charms homework by crafting a bunch of list cards that help me keep track of my thoughts and memories. In a couple years I'll be able to look back on my homework and reflect on memories and thoughts of this time in my life. Smiley (This is part of my "30 Days of Lists" project I'm participating in. You can read more in my blog in the link above or go to the 30 Days site.)
Project Picture:

Class: Study Of Ancient Runes
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name:  First Week of September Project Life Scrapbook Pages
Project Page Link: None
Brief Description: Throughout the whole summer I have diligently been working on documenting all our time in Project Life format. The following pictures are the pages I've just done from end of August and the first week of September. My little Luna is growing so quickly I've tried to capture all our time and moments through pictures and journaling. Can she just stay little forever?
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013 08:56:35 PM by WhistleFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nicajeanie
« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2013 09:28:31 PM »

Challenge: SPEW
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: more grannie squares
Project Description: Grannie squares for prayer shawls for church
Project Picture:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Flying Squirrel
Project Description: When I was visiting my daughter at her summer clinical for wildlife rehabilitation a couple baby flying squirrels were brought in. They were less then 24 hrs old. For class I made a paper flying squirrel.
Project Pictures:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2013 10:27:24 PM »

Class: Flying + S.P.E.W.
House: Ravenclaw
SPEW:  local women's shelter
Project Name: Hedwig
Project Page Link (if available): am looking for link... will post when found  “Ollie Owl”
Brief Description: While I was flying, I encountered Hedwig the Owl delivering a missive to someone, so Here is my cute and cuddly owl.
Project Picture:

Challenge:  Bertie Bott's bean - lobster
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Grandmother's grocery bag
Project Page Link (if available): http://theadventuresofcassie.blogspot.com/2008/03/free-reusable-crocheted-grocery-bag.html
Brief Description: Many years ago, before plastic grocery bags, when I visited my grandmother, we would go shopping for groceries by walking to that part of town nicknamed “little Hungary”.  She lived in the city and there were no large grocery stores near where she lived, only little shops with the families living above them.  We went to the meat market, the bakery, and other shops (including the chicken place where you picked out the live chicken you wanted for Sunday dinner and they killed and plucked it for you.  We then carried it home wrapped in butcher paper with neck and feet hanging out).  My grandmother always brought three hand crocheted grocery bags, two for her and one for me (I got to carry the chicken).  The grocery bags were crocheted in the basement of her church, where the ladies' guild met.  They all crocheted different items, but this was what she did. I do not have many happy memories of my grandmother, but this is one (another is making noodles) so this bag in is honor of that memory.  She recycled everything she could.  
Project Picture:

Note: for some reason craftster won't let me upload my photos to my posting, so I uploaded to my pictures and posted the names... hmmm... will try to modify and see if I can get them up that way. fixed it!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013 10:46:13 PM by netchez » THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #327 on: September 21, 2013 11:53:19 PM »

butterflyangel- ohhhhhhhhh I love *oil* painting.  I'm happy for you that you earned a new technique!!! Cheesy  oh I miss oil painting.... Happiness is new tubes of oil paint.  Smiley

Abbeeroad-  OH!!!!  YOUR TABLET COZY IS AWE-SOME!!!!  AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!  Love love LOVE Doctor Who!!!!  Cheesy

Nicajeanie- *SQUEAL* I saw glow in the dark coaster melty beads at the store on our last trip.  I L O V E what you've done with them!!!  SO much cooler than the simple happy faces we made as kids.  Nod nod. Smiley (You have inspired ABS by proving they aren't just for little kid crafts. : )  Paracord in Hufflepuff colors!!!  (and I hear in Pirate Captain Sumbhajee's high pitched voice “And so the Hufflepuffs go to war”. : )  O.O  Oh I LOVE the colors in your granny squares!!! Cheesy  Is that variegated yarn???  I've never seen a variegated yarn like that one, but the alternative is too mind blowing to comprehend.  Smiley omgoodness.  O.O  I've never SEEN baby flying squirrels before!!!  (And living on a ranch all my life, I've seen a LOT of baby animals) Look at their tiny webbing!!! awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ant Bee- *listens intently to poem*snaps fingers in beatnik appreciation*  Cool man.... cool...  Smiley Hope your new recruits get whipped into shape soon so you can get back to crafting!!! Cheesy
OMG!!!!  There's less than 100 days till Christmas!!!???!!!  O.O  *panic setting in* Cant breathe... Cant breathe.....

Pinkleo- WE LOVE YOUR DALEK!!!! Cheesy  (Once the kids got a voice changing megaphone and AnnoyingLittleSister, age 4, went through the house singing “exterminate exterminate” to the music of Saturday Night Fever.  Yes.  We are THAT kind of family. : )

pottermouth-  *Jaw*Dropped*  omg your altered book is just soooooooo cool!!! O.O   That has got to be the most amazing altered book I've ever seen!!!! O.O  Cheesy

Whistlefish- I just LOVE your “lists”!!!  They are so decorative and practical.  Smiley  (blows the management binder I'm working on out of the water. Lol : )  I love all the COLOR!!! Cheesy

Netchez- OH Hedwig turned out LOVELY!!!! Cheesy  Great Job!!!  I love listening to the stories of when you were a little girl.  We need to write them down for the kids.  Smiley 

I LOVE it when it rains!!!!  (The ONLY time we got a break from working cattle when I was growing up.)  I get to curl up with my hooks and relax!!! Cheesy

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted Hat *S.P.E.W.*
Project Name: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted Hat for MLK Homeless Shelter *S.P.E.W.*
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I crocheted this in an attempt to provide a hat (and mittens if I can figure out how to crochet them) for each bed available at our local homeless shelter.  Homeless people get cold too. 
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2013 11:58:04 PM »

I had so much fun crocheting the alternating burgundy/black color combination that I crocheted another hat with the same color combination only starting with black instead of burgundy.  Cheesy  Crocheting two hats in one day is an all time record for me!!! Cheesy 

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted Hat *S.P.E.W.*
Project Name: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted Hat for MLK Homeless Shelter *S.P.E.W.*
Brief Description: I crocheted this in an attempt to provide a hat (and mittens if I can figure out how to crochet them) for each bed available at our local homeless shelter.  Homeless people get cold too. 
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2013 01:12:40 AM »

I sewed these today while we watched Doctor Who. Smiley  It's been so long since I've made flat fold diapers!!!  I had forgotten how much fabric they take.  O.O  I'll be lucky if I get half a dozen out of this sheet.  *crosses fingers*

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.*  2 Flat fold and 1 Prefold cloth diaper *S.P.E.W.*
Project Name: *S.P.E.W.* 3 diapers *S.P.E.W.*
Brief Description: I found this pretty Minnie Mouse flannel sheet set that will work very well for making adorable flat fold diapers.  From the first strip I cut I was able to make 2 flat fold diapers with enough extra to sew  a newborn prefold.  Smiley  These will be donated to the local Baby Pantry.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Nutella Stuffed Brioche
How to Make 2-Ingredient Root Beer Float Popsicles
How to Make Dark Chocolate-Dipped Cherries
How to Decorate Cupcakes With a Theme
Stacked Cherry Puff Pastry Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...