A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 99758 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2013 07:09:55 AM »

DragonChilde- I've never heard of a mouthwash with honey in it!!  But honey IS antibacterial so I can *see* that.  How COOL!  I absolutely LOVE your Lonely Thoughts project!!!  It's brilliant!!!  I'm gonna have to try it.  Smiley  *HUGS*  I have never managed to make good stock.  (I have tried)  I;ll have to try your recipe and see if I can get it to work for me. Smiley  Have you tried doing it in a slow cooker since it cooks for so long? Oh MAN that shepards pie sounds GOOD!!! Smiley  I love your playdoh.  My tots always try to EAT it when we make playdoh. (I remember eating homemade playdoh in Vacation Bible School when I was 5, so they come by it naturally.  Rofl)

Midkiffsjoy, I have never tried making stock in our slow cooker, mainly because many of our pots have a larger capacity which means I have more time to do other stuff while I wait to let the water evaporate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
supergirljennie
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2013 01:30:58 PM »

Really want to join as a Ravenclaw.... trying to figure out how this works though! So much awesomeness already in the thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2013 02:46:24 PM »

Really want to join as a Ravenclaw.... trying to figure out how this works though! So much awesomeness already in the thread.

Welcome supergirljennie!  (And yay for another Jennie who spells her name the "right" way! Wink)  Take a look at the first page of this thread, which has all the information about the HP Craftalong.  You can also feel free to message Headmistress pinkleo & myself (Deputy Headmistress) at any time.  And of course, you can ask questions of your fellow "students" here in the thread.  They are wonderfully welcoming, and most of them have been around for the last several "semesters" of the Craftalong.  Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2013 04:05:45 PM »

Hi everyone!  I'm ALIVE!  I'm finally getting back to my normzl crazy schedule...thank goodness!  My step-father is doing tons better; he's only having a bit of trouble sleeping...but other than that he is doing amazing!  And I spent the whole weekend celebrating my son's 17th bday!  Where does the time go?!?!?!?  Anywho, I'm back to my regular schedule of teaching, crafting, and most of all hanging out with my crafty peeps! (can I tell you how much I missed y'all....definitely had Craftster's withdrawal!!

((HUGS)) to HPC Staff & Students for being so crafty & chatty; y'all are awesome!

And Kiss a huge THANK YOU to Deputy Headmistress jennie for holding down the fort castle whilst I was missing...YOU ROCK! Kiss Cool Grin

Okay, off to make dinner and then settling in on the couch to catch up on all the magical happenings! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clare-Dragonfly
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2013 07:04:34 PM »

By the way, I forgot to say this in my first post, but I love everyone's projects! There are so many amazing projects in this thread that I completely lost track of what I wanted to comment on, so I'll just say: you are all awesome and your projects are inspiring! Go Hogwarts!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stories last longer: but only by becoming only stories.

Clare K. R. Miller
DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2013 09:29:49 PM »

Class: History of Magic
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Pie Jars
Project Page Link: none
Brief Description: I did some research and the food at our castle is prepared by House Elves. Many of the other menial tasks around the castle are also attended to by House Elves. While this information was never published in Hogwarts, A History, Hermionie Granger petitioned to have this information added, likening the service of a house elf to slavery, the summer between her fourth and fifth years at Hogwarts (you will remember she created S.P.E.W. in her fourth year) but appears to have been unsuccessful. Much like a House Elf, I got up early the morning that we got to visit my little sister to give her Birthday presents and made pies in 4 ounce jars from scratch so that they would be fresh and warm when we got to see her. I also made some fresh whipped cream. I used the piecrust recipe that our grandmother used (she died in May), as well as her berry pie recipe, and the tayberries were the last that she had bought and frozen over the years. The pies were yummy though they did bubble over a little, ok no, a lot. Next time, maybe I will make it look like something a House Elf would be proud of. I will add the recipes for the piecrust and filling tomorrow.
Project Picture:

Piecrust Recipe
2.25 cups white flour (303 grams)
0.75 cups + 2 tablespoons Crisco
a dash of salt
1/3 to 2/3 cups ice cold water (the bowl that you scoop the water out of it should have ice floating in it)

Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the Crisco with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture is the texture of cornmeal. Add just enough ice cold water and mix with a fork until the mixture sticks in a ball quite easily, it might be a little slimy on the outside, that is fine. Form the dough into a two balls, each ball making either the top or bottom crust. An easy way to tell if your crust turned out that if when you are placing the crust in a pie dish and it sticks (which doesn't always happen) and it looks flaky when you peel it off of the floured surface. I use this crust for both sweet and savory pies. It took me a few times to get it to come out right but it is totally worth it when it does.

Pie Filling Recipe
*This recipe comes from an old and worn edition of a Good Housekeeping Cook Book
2/3 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons flour or 1.5 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 to 2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups berries, or sliced peeled peaches or plums (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon butter
Combine all ingredients except berries and butter. Place half of berries in a lined pie plate: sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat. Dot with butter. Top with a slitted pie crust (moisten the edges that will meet for a better seal). Glaze if desired. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 50 minutes, or until filling is tender and crust nicely browned.

Because I was using previously frozen berries, I thawed the berries overnight and then reduced them in a large pot. I added the spices and tapioca while the berries were reducing. If I do little pies this way again, I will bake the pie crusts empty and spoon in the already cooked filling. Also, because I was making little pies I opted to forego the top crust because I know that it would sink. The extra crust is what led to the Shepherd's pie that I turned in for SoAR.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013 07:30:48 AM by DragonChilde » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2013 09:58:07 PM »

Jeenieingram- Oh thank you thank you thank you.  I think the smell of acrylic yarn has been getting to me because I'm wanting to try to crochet things I've never been brave enough to do before.  Today.... I printed out a BUNTING pattern.  O.O 

noodle-bug- Are YOU knitting ALL those socks!!???!!!  OMG You're AWESOME!!! Cheesy  You have no idea the conversations that go on at our house because of those socks.  I SWEAR all the socks are gonna get thrown out as soon as I learn how to make socks.  Nod nod.  Life if far too short to spend it in plain white fruit of the looms.  Nod nod Smiley

DragonChilde- I have a H U G E crockepot (big enough for a turkey... or a coon) that I've made cheese in, but you're right.  It really takes forever.  Smiley  Your jar pies look amazing. VERY Hogworty.   And it was kinda like Grandma made them through you. Smiley  It's so awesome keeping the recipes alive.  We still use Granny's rye bread recipe.  Smiley  And every time I make bread I remember her teaching me how to knead dough. 

Pinkleo- My mother was a teacher for many many years and it amazes me all that you do with the time you have.  *Mind. Blown.*  I'm glad to hear your stepdad is doing okay.  I'm sorry he's having trouble sleeping.  Sad Congrats on surviving a 17 in the house!!! Smiley 

I swear I may be swinging into a manic swing.  Every time I see something cute and baby I think "I CAN CROCHET THAT", and pay no mind to whether or not it's even remotely anything like I've ever done before.  rofl.  All this crafting sure is enriching my crafty confidence!!! Cheesy

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted 3-6mo Jayne Hat *S.P.E.W.*
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: *S.P.E.W.* Crocheted 3-6mo Jayne Hat *S.P.E.W.*
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: A girl who takes Baby classes at the pregnancy center is a geek so I crocheted this Jayne hat to take up to the pregnancy center for her.  It took me 2 hats to get it right.  I really like how it turned out.  I think I may try a Browncoat baby bunting to go with it.  (And yes I hate the little dangly bits on the side instead of real ties with pompoms on the ends, but it's a replica of the one Jayne's Momma made him and SHE apparently ran OUT of yarn and couldn't make full ties.  Hence, little dangly bits.  Lol)  I learned how to change color while doing edging (I just KNEW the whole thing was gonna fall apart).  It's something I've NEVER done before.  Smiley  The more I do, the more I learn, the better I get, the braver I get to try to do things I've never done before. Cheesy
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2013 10:02:12 PM »

I hope I can find more flannel during our weekly trip to town tomorrow or I'm gonna have to start making covers before I get 4 dozen prefolds made.  O.O  Right now I am 4 short of 2 dozen prefolds.  Smiley 

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.*  3 Newborn Prefolds *S.P.E.W.*
Project Name: *S.P.E.W.* 3 Newborn Prefolds *S.P.E.W.*
Brief Description: While rummaging through the scrap bag I found another flannel receiving blanket and was able to cut 2 diapers from it.  Then I had to go back to piecing together scraps.  Lol  These are made of two 13 X 11 pieces of flannel with a 4 layer inner pad sandwiched between them.  Smiley  These will be donated to the local Baby Pantry as a part of my personal spew challenge to sew cloth dipes for 2 babies.  Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Magpirate
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2013 10:22:08 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Pride!
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Ravenclaw Chainmail Bracelet
Project Page Link: Yep.
Brief Description: I had blue rubber chainmail rings, bronze aluminum chainmail rings, a couple pairs of pliers and the ability to do a Half Persian weave, and I figured that was the perfect recipe for a Ravenclaw Pride bracelet.  So here it is.

All right, fellow HPCers, I need some encouragement.  Last Christmas my brother gave me one of those kits where you can fuse glass in a kiln in your microwave.  Since then I have opened up the box, taken out all the bits, looked at them a while, and put them back like seven times because glass is TERRIFYING.  This is definitely the craft I need to try for the Fear of a Name Challenge.  So, anyone out there a glass fuser?  Is it really that scary?  How likely is it that I will end up melting my fingers together or burning down my apartment building or singeing the hair off my cat?  Help!  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkdelia
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2013 10:47:29 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Pride
Project Name: Hufflepuff socks
Brief Description: as it is starting to get cooler were i live i decided it would be a good time to try and make slipper socks and followed the suggestion of a friend of mine when he told me i should make hufflepuff socks so here they are
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating Your Own Background Part 11/14
How to Design a Haunted House Part 3/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Adjustment Layers Part 4/14
How to Design a Club Flyer Part 1/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Importing Images Part 2/14
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...