A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 93020 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2013 05:35:09 AM »

Right, I found a suitable pattern for my DA project I reckon... at least it says beginner friendly and looks just about do-able (with some help form my How to knit book.... and youtube tutorials!) I cast on this morning Smiley
(what was that I said about not starting new projects until I'd finished some....Huh)

got a couple of my smaller projects done at least!

Challenge: House Unity
House: Ravenclaw
Project: bookcrossing Olympics postcards
so... inspired by Pinkleo & Jennie, I decided to try to create something similar to the HPC on the other site I use a lot, bookcrossing. What I ended up with was the Bookcrossing Olympics.
Bookcrossing is basically about taking books (one's your finished reading and don't want to keep) and leaving them in public places for whoever passes by to take. It's pretty awesome. For the Olympics, I created 'events' (analogous to our classes) - some where competitive so had a 'winner' element, like 'leave a book in the highest place possible' or the coldest place... or the heaviest book... or whatever. and some where just 'themed' releases like 'release a book floating on water' or 'release a book themed to do with animals'
Anyway, after 3 months of playing we finished at the end of august. Over the summer, more than 3000 books were released as part of the Olympics!! I am super happy!
There are some great stories too.. people managed to get books released n all sorts of places, hopping from Europe to china and New Zealand, down mine shafts, in planes, on little home made boats, in liquid nitrogen.... all sorts of places.

Anyway, I 'made' postcards to give away to some of the players (I did a random draw from those who were interested) - stamping the back with the bookcrossing logo. I made 25 in total, all personalised to the team of the person they are going to

the Olympics are all about unifying countries and I tried to create some events that would work in the spirit of unity (getting people to play together as teams of 3, and for some events people from different teams had to work together)
Oh... and, look at what colours I did the little Ballycumber logos in... remind you of a certain 4 houses at all??
(OK, those are the Olympic colours too, but I'll take it!)

Class: Arithmancy
House: GO EAGLES!
Project:
what's the ultimate tribute to the number 4? A square! Four identical sides, 4 identical angles...
I used a simple geometric pattern of squares to embellish this shop brought birthday card with a little embroidery. I'm really getting into embroidering non-fabric stuff Smiley I love how the taught thread over the card feels
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
butterflyangel
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2013 08:29:10 AM »

midkiffsjoy: Thanks I really hope so!

jennieingram: you're right! even better  Wink

noodle-bug: wow is that embroidery on cardstock?? it looks so very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie

« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2013 09:24:52 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean Cinnamon
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Kitty Hankie
Brief Description: My nose runs all winter long, and tissues get pretty expensive after a while. So I made some cute and practical handkerchiefs to keep my nose clear while I study. They are doublesided to last longer and feel more secure. It will definitely make my home more comfortable!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2013 09:56:02 AM »

noodle-bug: wow is that embroidery on cardstock?? it looks so very cool

yes, it's on a store-brought card (one of those 'blank for your own greeting' jobbies) and then I just put in a sheet on card glued inside to hide the back of my work.

I'm so excited that my knitting is going well! I haven't actually got to the bit with the decreases yet, but it's still a way more complex pattern than any I've done before (I've never done rib stitch, and there are these sort of slouchy tucks made by picking up stitches from rows earlier and purling them into ongoing stocking stitch... admittedly not difficult but I still feel like a miracle worker every time I get to the end of a row and see that it hasn't fallen apart or anything!)
The only thing is, it is coming out a bit girlie than it looked in the picture, so I'm not sure if it will be Peter-friendly... if not, it can go to my sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2013 11:15:38 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name:  Cats in Love
Brief Description: So when thinking about the feline form and the way it moves, it actually reminded me of carving a (Speedycut or similar, not lino, lol!) stamp - the way the grooves can flow and how the position and angle at any one time can predict where and how it will carve, similar to the way a cat's posture and muscles can predict its movements.  So carving a stamp seemed natural and what better way than to carve a cat (or two)!  Once it's cleaned up a little, this will be going on a small set of stationery for my SIL for Christmas since she's a total cat person and she and my brother just got married in May.

It also isn't quite as rough looking when done properly with block ink; this was just done with a regular stamp pad.  Smiley

Project Picture: 

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name:  The Leaves That Are Green
Brief Description: In accordance with the concept of Jera, nature is obviously an easy inspiration for the passage of time.  For this particular painting, I was also inspired by the music of Simon and Garfunkel which also uses nature imagery a lot.  The song 'The Leaves That Are Green' talks about things changing and loss and ends the statements with "and the leaves that are green turn to brown."  So I wanted to have a rapid-progress tree with a rich green that changes into the beautiful fall colors that eventually fall and crumble when brown.  I also did the sky and the ground with gradation of color to reflect those same changes though in very basic terms since I wanted the focus to be on the leaves.

I'm afraid that my wandwork is primitive when it comes to painting anything real, but overall I think I expressed what I wanted and I suppose that's as good as it can be.  I also think that much like Jera, the passage of time and practice of skill should hopefully give my wand a bit more magic in the realm of painting!

Project Picture: 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
butterflyangel
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2013 11:55:54 AM »

noodle-bug: wow sounds neat Think I'm gonna have to try it one of these days

rockmygypsysoul: wow your tree is beautiful! oil or acrylic? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2013 12:38:01 PM »

Thanks, butterflyangel!  It's acrylic - I've actually never worked with oil paints before but really want to sometime.  I think that's going on my Christmas wish list... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2013 01:09:54 PM »

(Pic Heavy)

Midkiffsjoy, I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. We had a friend pass unexpectedly this week, too, and it's so hard to wrap the brain around that. Sending you peaceful energies.

In crafting news, the lack of a time-turner did me in and the Coverlet of the Seven Fandoms did no move into its forever home just yet. I tried to finish the sewing of the backing in the car on the way to the reception but it kept slipping out of proper alignment and I had to stop. It's ok though. The bride begged to see it once the evening was winding down and she (an the groom) loved it so I am happy.  They are off on the honeymoon anyhow and wouldn't be using it for another week or so anyway. And now we have a good excuse to get together for dinner when she gets back so she can tell me all about London and her tour of Leavesden  Studio's Harry Potter exhibit. Win-win!

Thank you guys for all your support as I worked up this largest of my yarning projects to date. Here's the scoop:

Seeing as I never declared this an owl or a NEWT I suppose it best fits in detention as a WiP...

Class: September Detention
House: Slytherin
Project: The Coverlet of the Seven Fandoms (Cot7F)
Description: Honoring my friend's geeky wedding theme I made her an afghan displaying blocks from 7 of her favorite fandoms. It was delivered in a weathered suit case I got at a garage sail at the Burrow (apparently belonged to Lupin once) and the accompanying card read: ..."Congatulations! This is the Coverlet of the Seven Fandoms which I made during my weekly Stich & Bitches with Hagrid and Molly (and sometimes Sam and Frodo). You will find blocks from Buffy, Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and the Big Bang Theory.  I modeled it after something you might find at the burrow..."

It is a mix of knit and crochet and there is a fleece backing to make it extra cuddly and a tad warmer (they live in Maine) and to keep the backing threads from catching on toes when in use. All the patterns for the blocks with images were found doing random google searches. I have posted some in the project posts for individual squares. If you want to know where I found a specific one feel free to PM me and I'll give you the link.  When I have time I will come back here and spell out each link for future readers and to give credit where credit is due. Here she is:(The photo quality is terrible, I am so sorry. I will ty to replace these pics with better ones if I succeed in taking any.)

Full shot:

So all that is left is to finish attaching the fleece to the back.

Thanks for all your support!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013 01:13:29 PM by Ant Bee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Dolphin girl
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2013 02:03:29 PM »

class-arithimancy
house-hufflepuff
project-4 drawing cards
for all the drawing cards I put stamps on then colored them with water colored pencils.

class-divination
house-hufflepuff
project-cat atc collage
for the cat project i made a collage.I cut out pictures of cats from magazines and I also used stamps and colored one with water colored pencils.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nicajeanie
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2013 07:07:36 PM »

Well I have been a crocheting fool this week! 24 grannie squares for church to make prayer shawls.

Challenge: SPEW
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Grannie Squares
Project Description: 24 grannie squares to be made into prayer shawls at church.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Flex-Shaft Jewelry Tools
Using Textured Metal to Make Jewelry
Top Jewelry Making Techniques
Jewelry Soldering Basics
Making Metal Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...