A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 117098 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Mad Quilter
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013 07:57:29 PM »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who listens to books on CD while they sew/quilt/craft.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntrebleagain

I see no good reason to act my age.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013 09:50:44 PM »

Wow, you all are off to a great start! A personal setback has prevented me from crafting for a little while, but I hope to be back in the game next week. Great projects from everyone so far!

"Can't take all of these Muggles, but despite of all my struggles... I'm still alive!"  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013 10:14:59 PM »

Inselaeffchen- OH!!!  Smiley  Thats a GREAT idea!!! Smiley  And Thank you for the compliment!! I think, so far, he may be my favorite thing I've ever crocheted.  Smiley

The Mad Quilter- I LOVE scrappy quilts!!!  Can't wait to see yours!!! (We're ALL mad here : )

Ant Bee- OH YAY!!!!  You got it together!!!  AWESOME!!!!  *THUMBS UP*  It's been so amazing watching your progress.  Words can not describe how incredible that blanket is!!!  MIND.  BLOWING.   Cheesy

ntrebleagain- Don't let the man get ya down.  I hope your load gets lighter soon.  *hugs*

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures CoMC
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Sweet Dreams Dream Catcher
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: A symptom of my bipolar is chronic and particularly vivid nightmares.  I've had them every night for 20 years (minus about 4 nights.  I remember because it was so weird) .  Last night I couldn't go to bed, (not “couldn't sleep”, a side affect of always having nightmares is the acute avoidance of going to bed) so I stayed up and crafted until I passed out.  I made this WONDERFUL dream catcher.  I've wanted to make one FOR YEARS but I just did. not. think. I could do it.  Really.  I thought they were too complicated for me to make successfully, but I tried.  The ring is bent bamboo.  I crocheted around it with ice blue yarn with shiny silver shot through it.  Then I crocheted the web from soft shiny white yarn with silver shot through it.  The sections that are not touching anything are chain stitch and I used single stitch to join the sections as I crocheted.  I am flabbergasted with how WELL it came out.  It looks like a meditation flower. Smiley  THEN I printed three images onto shrinky dink plastic, cut them out into circles, and shrunk them in the little counter top oven.  The images are “all sweet wonderful things” a unicorn in front of a rainbow, a puppy and a kitten in a basket (can we GET more 80's here?  I think not.) and a picture of Tom Hiddleston riding a white horse, just cause (PLEASE dream catcher bring me dreams of that gorgeous man!!!!  I'll be a GOOD girl!!!  I PROMISE!!! rofl).  All HAPPY things.  There is fringe on both sides of the dream catcher and I used letter beads to spell out “Sweet Dreams” and “Peaceful Sleep”.  There is also a rose quartz bead in the upper right hand side of the web.  It represents the north star to guide me to Neverland in my dreams.  Smiley  I hope it assists me in my long standing struggle for a decent night's sleep. Smiley  (Plus WEIRDEST THING EVER that I've crocheted!!! : )
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W* Cloth Baby Wipes *S.P.E.W*
Project Name: *S.P.E.W* Cloth Baby Wipes *S.P.E.W*
Brief Description: I BARELY managed to get 6 wipes out of this flannel receiving blanket.  I like to use flannel receiving blankets for fabric because I can get such cute prints for a quarter a piece.  THEN I get LOTS of different patterns!  THIS one was a weird size so two of the wipes are 1/4” short on one side, and there's enough left for one doubler.  Smiley  Today was “town day” and I went thrift shopping for flannel and came home with LOADS of it (there goes my stash busting)!!!  Gotta get it washed and dried then gonna turn it into a TON of cding stuff!!! Cheesy
 I have set myself the personal goal of sewing cloth diapers, covers, and wipes for two babies this Fall Semester.  They will be donated to the local baby pantry who has asked me before to sew some, but I was never able to find the time.  HP Spew is helping me find the time a little at a time.  It gives me a chance to sew a little everyday and help out someone.  The retail purchase price of cloth diapers can be cost prohibitive to the people who need them the most.  I was so thankful I could sew when ABS & ALB were in diapers.  And because of it I have been able to CD ALS & ABS for under $20. I expect to sew at least 4 dozen wipes, preferably 8 dozen.  I wouldn't have a baby without a minimum of 4 dozen wipes.  They tend to walk off, one at a time. 
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
rockmygypsysoul
Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2013 12:20:07 AM »

So honestly, I have been giving this craftalong a WIDE berth upon my reentry to craftster, primarily because I was worried I couldn't say no and that taking this, the Nerd Battles craftalong, the number of swaps I'm doing, plus my ACTUAL (non-crafty) job and, you know, being a wife and mother of two (puppies Wink) would maybe be too much.  Especially what with how I have like a billion chronic health problems.

And I know you guys are so zen with your "you don't have to do every class or challenge, just do what inspires you" but I am NOT that zen.  I mean, I was sure I wouldn't do all of them, but I know I'd need to do the majority of them.  It's like a compulsion.  And then many of you are so "I take what I was already planning on doing and try to tweak it or add to it to make it fit" which is both smart and sly (and I suspect many of you are either Ravenclaw or Slytherin and if no one has data on that, I stand by that assumption  Cheesy) but I am a 100% dyed-in-the-wool Gryffindor and it just seems wrong, dammit!

So there I was, minding my own business until I had one of those moments we Gryfs have where I think I am somehow capable of tackling a troll in the dungeon even though I'm eleven and didn't know I was a witch until like two weeks ago and I thought "I could just read along.  I am strong.  I can enjoy it and then maybe next semester I'll see."  And like many of my half-baked but well-intentioned plans, that resolve lasted for approximately 110 seconds.

So yeah.  Here I am.  I will TRY to keep myself from getting ambitious enough to attempt an OWL or NEWT (which might cause a crafting overdose) but I will most definitely be preparing for challenges and classes starting NOW.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2013 04:02:45 AM »

@Mad Quilter - oh, another quilt to go for an O.W.L! Smiley Given the size of my girls, mine will be lap quilts too, but that's time consuming enough.
@Midkiff - WOW! What a beautiful dream catcher!! Love it! And hopefully Hunky Tom is giving you some sweet dreams now.. Smiley
@Ant Bee - I CANNOT handle audio books when I do something else. Somehow I need to concentrate on one thing or the other, so feel like being stuck on one page of a physical book and re-reading the same paragraph 3 times when I'm listening to an Audio book. However, I do tend to listen to music or have something on the TV (just for the background noise) while doing crafts. Wink

So far I haven't been able to do much crafting despite the girls being at the grandparents on Monday...I'm under the weather with sinusitis/sore throat but on the mend now. Hopefully get some crocheting done next week while away on a family holiday though.

Been reading the previous Nerd Battles / HPCs for inspiration as I kinda draw a blank when reading the prompts. Wonder how I can bring in my scrapbooking here (not seen much of that around in the Nerd Battles/HPC) for an easier craft than crochet (I'm a beginner) and quilting (time consuming and cannot be done while the "Hobbits" are around).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2013 05:35:22 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures CoMC
Project Name: Sweet Dreams Dream Catcher
Brief Description: A symptom of my bipolar is chronic and particularly vivid nightmares.  I've had them every night for 20 years (minus about 4 nights.  I remember because it was so weird) .  Last night I couldn't go to bed, (not “couldn't sleep”, a side affect of always having nightmares is the acute avoidance of going to bed) so I stayed up and crafted until I passed out.  I made this WONDERFUL dream catcher.  I've wanted to make one FOR YEARS but I just did. not. think. I could do it.  Really.  I thought they were too complicated for me to make successfully, but I tried.  The ring is bent bamboo.  I crocheted around it with ice blue yarn with shiny silver shot through it.  Then I crocheted the web from soft shiny white yarn with silver shot through it.  The sections that are not touching anything are chain stitch and I used single stitch to join the sections as I crocheted.  I am flabbergasted with how WELL it came out.  It looks like a meditation flower. Smiley

Oh midkiffsjoy I came across your post in 'recent with images' and this is just so beautiful and I think this should surely bring you some dreamless nights.  I am going to have to pin this, I just think it is so wonderful. 

lovesclutter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Moonflame
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2013 05:46:01 AM »

Hi, Fellow Hogwartians!  My goodness, I've been crazy busy lately, but I pop in to admire the amazing things.  That monopoly game is inspired!  And the bean bracelet - too cool!! Cheesy  So many awesome projects - washies, pads and quilty goodness, and that dream catcher is fabulous!

I had to jump in and say that I, too, am a huge audiobook-driven crafter.  I HAVE to multitask or it feels wasteful somehow, LOL!  It's probably a sign of my hugely disorganised mind. :-P 

I'm still crafting, but I'm working on some longer projects - my OWL cowl/hood (which will hopefully be approved, LOL!), some yummy knitted sleeves for my Frog, and my NEWT Book of Wonder.  Add to that that the homeschool year has started up again, and WHEW!  I'll have to tackle something smaller just so that I can have something to show, LOL!

Happy "Back to Hogwarts" everyone!  Those badges are awesome.  Can't wait to see the rest! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Naantje
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013 06:29:41 AM »

And then many of you are so "I take what I was already planning on doing and try to tweak it or add to it to make it fit" which is both smart and sly (and I suspect many of you are either Ravenclaw or Slytherin and if no one has data on that, I stand by that assumption  Cheesy) but I am a 100% dyed-in-the-wool Gryffindor and it just seems wrong, dammit!

I'm crafting as a Slytherin for historical reasons, but way more likely to be a Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff hatstall actually. Your assumption may be correct! Though it really goes both ways, if I'm uninspired, I'll pull from the prompts to be inspired, if I do have crafting plans, I'll go the puzzling route to try and make something fit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
pinkdelia
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2013 06:36:08 AM »

Okay so here I am this is my first craftalong and I am super excited to have been sorted into Hufflepuff!! Will be coming up with ideas while at work today Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013 06:48:05 AM »

~*Congratulations midkiffsjoy!*~
~*You are the first to earn the Care of Magical Creatures Badge!*~

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges. 

*Once revealed, a class badge can be found in the Badge Station.*

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013 06:48:15 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inviting Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Best Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Hot Wings Recipe
Hot Legs Recipe
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...