A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 92598 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonflame
« Reply #790 on: November 24, 2013 05:00:15 PM »

Stillatthetop  - Thanks!  You're right.  Most of the elements and all of the papers are made from one 6x6 pad of papers.  I LOVE your idea for the "bow!"  Grin

AcadianDriftwood  OMG, your inchie village is adorbs!!! And that TARDIS is awesome! Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
tiamatfire
« Reply #791 on: November 24, 2013 07:24:41 PM »

Congratulations FiberAlchemist on the Witch of the Week!  I really do love that quilt Cheesy

As always, everyone's stuff looks great, and I'm especially in love with that scrapbook Moonflame!  I did something similar for my daughter with pictures of our families (we really far away from everyone) and I'm going to do another for this baby!  I'm going to have to get a lovely set like that, as my current matching papers are awfully girly Smiley

My Advanced Studies projects are going well, except I very much underestimated how slow I am at crochet, and how fast at quilting, lol.  I'm wondering if it's possible to make my quilt set the OWL and my afghan the NEWT.  I've worked on both for about a week so far, and I've already added on to the Christmas quilt project by deciding on matching cushion covers as well.

I'd change this (from this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427092.msg5123698#msg5123698)

Class: Arithmancy NEWT
Name: Christmas Quilt

To this -

Class: Potions OWL
Name: Christmas Quilt and Cushion set

And this class (from this post - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427092.msg5123148#msg5123148)

Class: Transfiguration OWL
Name: Snowflake Afghan

to this

Class: Arithmancy NEWT
Name: Snowflake Afghan.

It's also the case that the crochet is much more challenging to me than quilting, so is more appropriate for a NEWT.  Here's my progress though!

The quilt top is finished, but I still have to go buy backing and quilt and bind it.  I also need to piece and sew the cushion covers (they are Antique Tile blocks, not strip pieced or panelled like the quilt top).

And I have a bean submission!

Challenge: Popcorn Bean
House: Gryffindor
Name: Polka-dot Pound Cake

I was looking for something to do with my daughter today, and thought baking might be fun!  She's started to be really interested in us cooking in the kitchen, and a pound cake (even GF) is a pretty easy way to start.  To add that extra "pop", I drained some red maraschino cherries and cut them in half, then added them to the batter after tossing with a few of the dry ingredients to try and stop them from settling.  It turned out AMAZING.

The recipe is here: http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/classic-gluten-free-pound-cake/, and I added about 15 maraschino cherries drained and cut in half, and used the half vanilla, half almond extract flavouring option.

It's flatter than a pancake for some reason (overbeating maybe? or too large a pan?) but delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
Magpirate
« Reply #792 on: November 24, 2013 09:25:25 PM »

Nicajeanie, I love the paracord belt!  Unlike those paracord bracelets you see in stores, that belt should hold enough cord to, say, rappel down a cliff or build a rope ladder or lash together a raft.  Your daughter will be prepared for any emergency!  Smiley

midkiffsjoy, I'm sorry about all your troubles.  Sad  I hope your luck turns around soon!  Oh, and that kitty is adorable and your socks look fantastic!

Moonflame, great job on the album!  It looks really professional.

Adadian Driftwood, those tiny houses are super cute!  Great job on the Tardis wallet, too.

tiamatfire, beautiful quilt top, and the pound cake looks delicious!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Transfiguration
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Peanut Butter Hedgehog
Brief Description: I sneezed in the middle of saying the spell, and instead of becoming a pincushion my hedgehog turned into peanut butter!
Project Picture:

My mom used to make this peanut butter clay when I was a kid, and it's great fun to play with, as well as being quite tasty.  Combine 1/8 cup creamy peanut butter with 1/8 cup honey, then add 1/4 cup powdered dry milk and mix it all up.  Add more dry milk if it's still sticky.  Then make stuff!  My hedgehog has sunflower seed quills and raisin eyes and mouth.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination
Project Name: Cat Nap Bookmark
Brief Description: I was trying to read about ailuromancy when my cat oozed onto my lap like a large furry slug and lay down on my book.  I would've polietly removed her but she's so stinkin' cute I let her stay, and made this bookmark in her honor so she can lay on my book even when I'm not at home.  It's a pencil sketch cut out and laminated with contact paper.
Project Picture:

And now, drumroll please...

OWL Subject & Option: History of Magic, Option 3 (craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique)
Project Name: Cottonwood Bark Tower
Project Page Link: Yes!
Brief Description: Holy crap it's finished!  I carved this tower out of cottonwood bark using just hand tools - carving knives, U-shaped gouges, and V-tools.  I finished it with linseed oil and gouged a hole in the back so it can be hung on a wall.
Project Picture:

It's pretty big, so here are some slightly closer-up pictures:

There are lots more pictures on the project post, so I won't put them here.  This was a fun piece, but I am glad it's finally finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #793 on: November 25, 2013 04:08:12 AM »

that carved tower is great - and the peanut butter hedgehog, and the inches, and generally you guys are fab  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #794 on: November 25, 2013 05:33:28 PM »

OWL Subject: Charms
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Protego Christmas!
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=429156.msg5124622#msg5124622
Brief Description: In order to protect Christmas trees full of beautiful ornaments from our five littlest nieces and nephews running around, and they from toppling Christmas trees full of glass, I have mastered my wandwork and developed five miniature wall-friendly trees with ten ornaments for each of the little ones.  Each gets a fleece tree with black velcro spots for each of the ten ornaments and ten ornaments with velcro on the back (so they can practice matching one with the other).  They each get a star, a candy cane, a poinsettia, a dove, holly, a retro-styled ornament, a round monogram ornament, a gingerbread man, a snowflake, and a golden snitch!
Project Picture: 
(everything all together)

(one full tree)

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy
Project Name: Our Love is Like a Circle
Brief Description: A favorite singer of mine is Harry Chapin and one of my favorite songs is called 'Circle'.  It likens life to a circle, much like the Uroboros.  My favorite verse is: "I've found you a thousand times; I guess you've done the same.  Then we lose each other - it's just like a children's game.  And as I find you here again, a thought runs through my mind - our love is like a circle; let's go 'round one more time."
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy
Project Name: Card Command
Brief Description:  My parents are big card players and my husband and I go over there 2-3x a month to play poker, smear or another game and four is obviously a pretty important number when it comes to playing cards.  They don't like us to spend much on their presents so this year I thought I would make them a little container to keep their card stuff together.  On one side it says 'Lutmer Card Command', on the other side I just used some small scrapbooking stickers, and on the ends I used chalkboard paint for bragging rights.  Inside are a score pad (covered under my next class assignment!), two decks of cards, pens, and chalk.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms
Project Name: Scorecard
Brief Description:  To keep track of ridiculous Muggle card games, it is often necessary to write down scores to keep up with who is winning or losing.  For this scorecard, it's left blank so that it can be used for various games but each piece has been stamped with two of three handmade stamps - they all have an L for our last name and then half have a 'Win!' and half have a set of the four suits.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Every Flavored Bean - Dirty Socks
Project Name:  Pillow
Brief Description:  For one of nieces, I made a personalized pillow just for her!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology
Project Name:  Snowflakes Galore!
Brief Description:  We all know it can snow pretty hard at Hogwarts, with the Whomping Willow catching tons of the gorgeous little treasures.  These coasters have no two matching snowflakes and even the Willow would calm down to adorn itself with these gems.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name: Autism Love
Brief Description:  When it comes to comfort and helping one cope during challenging time, I carved and block printed this lino piece for a personal swap with someone here on Craftster.  She has a young, nonverbal son with severe autism but for every challenge that comes with it, knowing he loves her, even though he can't say so the way most of us do.
Project Picture:

That's it!  Clearly I've been doing some crafting but just haven't had sufficient time to sit down and put them all on  Roll Eyes

I've also submitted my DA project via private message as it contains some mystery of a swap package  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #795 on: November 25, 2013 08:51:20 PM »

Dear HPCers,

As you may have noticed, I have been away for many days & weeks.  I do so apologize for this absence.  I did not mean to distress anyone.  If you have sent me a PM about my absence, please note that I will not be answering them individually; there are just too many.  Let me say that I was away due to a very personal matter.  I could not muster the joy to write, update, and spend time with you.  Though this craftalong and my other craftster activities were on my mind and I did fret many times for not posting, I really was not in a state to jump in.  This autumn has not been kind to me, but I hope that I can return to this one place that I do so deeply love and cherish.  I can tell you that though I have not had the pleasure of meeting any of you, I do find great joy, inspiration, and friendship within these pages.  I hate to think that I have deterred anyone from joining this group, caused someone to stray from this group due to my absence, or worried anyone.  That was never my intention, and to those who wrote to me that I caused distress, worry, or upsetness, I truly apologize.  I am not one to air my feelings to many, especially those of sadness.  But I felt you deserved some explanation of my absence.  Know I just couldn't bring myself to be here when I was so low; it is because I feel very close to this craftster community.

I am determined not to let my struggles prevent me from enjoying your company any longer.  I am determined to put on a smile and think upon new crafty adventures.  I do have full plans to move forward to a wondrous Winter Term.  And I do so hope you will continue to go on this crafty adventure with me. 

Thank you for reading.  And I beg that you please grant me a bit more of your patience as I update during this week.  For those who have proposed OWLs & NEWTs, please do not wait on me to craft; go forth & craft!  Remember we are here to inspire each other and to get crafting. 

Let us look forward to a very happy winter!

Blessed Be,
Melissa aka pinkleo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiamatfire
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2013 06:51:17 AM »

I'm so sorry times have been rough for you Pinkleo!  I hope we can help to lift your spirits Smiley  Welcome back, and take whatever time you need!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2013 09:17:23 AM »

love you pinks xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 26, 2013 09:57:17 AM »

Its good to hear from you Pinkleo! Glad you are doing ok, though it is a bummer you have been down but it is good to see you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #799 on: November 26, 2013 10:07:51 AM »

Big hugs, Pinkleo! Take as much time as you need to come back! Smiley Good hearing from you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shape and Bake Naan Bread
How to Mix the Dough for Naan Bread
How to Make Naan Bread
How to Add the Tandoori Style Chicken to the Sauce
How to Prep the Ingredients for Butter Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...