A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 91462 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonflame
« Reply #690 on: November 05, 2013 06:32:12 AM »

Thanks, Pinkleo.  Hooray!  I'm so glad they can count! Smiley  OMG, I <3 your squares so much!  And the scarf is excellent!

Whistlefish, awesome seed snacks!  My son would ADORE the Sriracha ones.  How did you do them?

Noodlebug - thanks!  I wanted to send one for S.P.E.W. but I think I'll have to stick with lighter stuff after looking at postage.  Sad  I'm planning to mail on Friday. Smiley

Challenge: S.P.E.W.
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Boy Scout Scarves
Project Description: I make these for new boys in my son's troop.  For some reason, I have a really hard time getting things to line up.  I guess it's because there's so much serging on the bias.  Urg.  These took way longer than they should have for something so simple, but they're done, and given to the boys, so hooray for that!
Project Pic:

Challenge: Bertie Bott's - Almond
Project Name: Sweet Little Magnets
Project Description: First of all, I should mention that the trays these are stuck to are simply dollar store cookie trays that I spray painted pink and white.  I LOVE how they turned out, but the pink one does scratch easily.  Anyway, these are all bottlecaps.  Some are spray painted pink, some white, some left as they were on the bottle, and some are plain blanks that I bought when I ran out.  (I'd been collecting for ages, but we don't drink much that has bottlecaps, LOL!)  I boiled the used ones for a few mins to clean them, too.  I filled each cap with silicone, tucked in some decoden sweet cabochons and flatbacked pearls, sprinkled them with glitter, and voila!  They are super fun to make, and I love how they turned out!  The little onigiri ones (last pic) started out as "what can I do with these fun, but cheapie buttons?"  I turned heart buttons upside down, painted a seaweed stripe and put on "stickles" cheeks and an acrylic paint smile.  I thought the magnets looked kind of "empty" at first, but I added flatback pearls and glitter, and I love how they came out!  Oh, and I E6000ed (new verb!) neodymium magnets to the backs. They're strong!
Project Pics:

I guess I went nuts not only on magnets, but on pics, as well, LOL!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013 06:55:13 AM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #691 on: November 05, 2013 07:20:14 AM »

Pinkleo - I love your squares! How do you get them to all be the same size even though you have so many different patterns? I think I'd royally mess that up somehow.
Ruler!  Seriously, I measure each square near the end and make adjustments (i.e. adding extra round of dcs or switching from a dc to hdc).  You could also cut out a template, out of say a cereal box.  And when making a ghan, I always use the same hook, no matter what the pattern says, so that my stitches are the same size square to square. (I almost always use an I hook for square hooking)

Challenge: DA-Have a Drink in the Hog's Head
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Spiced Chickpeas (aka my dinner last night)
Brief Description: This is a simple and satisfying dish.  It can be a side or main dish, and can easily be adjusted to make more (or less...but why make less?).  Hardest part, slicing the onions.  Other than that, it is just open some tins, throw in spices, and let simmer.  Can be serve as is or over rice.  If making a main dish, I suggest a nice cucumber salad for a side.  Alright, enough chatter....to the recipe!

Spiced Chickpeas
    2 Tablespoons oil
    1 onion, finely sliced or chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne (or you could leave out if you don't like heat)
    1-1/2 cups water
    2 (15oz) cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon garam masala (now I add more, because I love the taste)[/li]

Over medium-high, heat oil in large skillet.  Add onion and garlic, and cook for 5 min.  (I'm notorious for burning garlic, so I add it about 3 min in to be safe.)  Now add cumin, turmeric, ginger, and cayenne, and cook for another minute or so.  Next, add water to skillet, and cook for 5 more minutes, making sure to stir and scrape up any bits.  Now here you have a choice, you can either let this simmer on the stovetop for awhile, or you can do as I usually do, and throw this in the crockpot.  (I choose crockpot because the longer I let this mixture steep, the more wondrous it becomes.  And because I happen to be the only one in my family that will eat this so I make it in the afternoon so that I can leave the evening for dinner prep.) ...so choose your adventure and continue on...  Add chickpeas to spiced water mixture.  Allow time to simmer, at least 30min on stovetop and 4hours in crockpot. (I do this longer, about 1 hour on stove and 6 hours in crockpot.)  Before serving, stir in salt & garam masala.  Serve over rice if desired, and if you feeling particularly fancy, you can strew with parsley.

Project Picture:
NOTE: My camera definitely did not like taking a pic of the grand yellowness of my dish at night.  Promise that it looks and taste more delish than pictured below.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013 07:23:41 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

haute.pepper
« Reply #692 on: November 05, 2013 09:41:22 AM »

These are great! Thanks for the inspiration. I know how I'm spending the day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #693 on: November 05, 2013 12:46:06 PM »

Challenge: September Detention
House: Slytherin
Project Name: 15 Christmas Tags (Swap)
Brief Description: My local Crop agreed to do a Christmas Tag swap back in ... umm... Think July or August. And just the way I work (last minute girl here!), I just kept things to nearly the last minute (swap is on 16th November). It's really a fairly simple tag, with just a strip of patterned paper, embossed bottom of the tag, inked around the edges, a stamped tree and stamped/embossed Sentiments plus a ribbon at the top.

I was trying to finish off the tags last week but was running out of the ribbon and had to get to Hobbycrafts to get the same ribbon (due to it being a swap).

Quite like the way they turned out.

"Before" photo with the template I created (and then changed the stamped tree as the original tree somehow didn't show all details - think I have to contact the company about that! Sad  )

"After" photos - the finished product. Wink

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013 12:53:01 PM by Inselaeffchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #694 on: November 05, 2013 04:43:54 PM »

Challenge: Have a drink in the Hog's Head
Class: Ravenclaw
Title: Birthday Pumpkin Pie
Link: None, it's from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Description: My husband's birthday is November 1st and when he was growing up, his mom always baked pies instead of cakes for birthdays. We've kept that tradition even though his mother passed away several years ago and my kiddos love the pies too. His favorite fall pie is pumpkin and it works out wonderfully b/c I just add some pie pumpkins to the mix. Instead of carving, I just clean em, gut em (saving the seeds), and chop em up for baking. I cut them into largish "squares" and put them in a 9x13 baking dish with 1" of water in the bottom and stick them in the oven for about an hour or a little longer on 400 degrees. You will know when they are done when the fork mashes easily when pushed against it. Then I pull it out and take the peel off (super easy) when it's cooled for a bit. Mash all the rest up and there is your pumpkin for your pie!!!

Here's the recipe for the crust, followed by the recipe for the pie

Crust:
1 1/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C shortening (I've heard cold coconut oil is super tasty, too. And it's waaaaay healthier for you)
4-5 tablespoons ice water

In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening until pieces are pea sized.
Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of the water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mix, using 1 Tbsp at a time, until all of the flour mix is moistened. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough and roll from the center until the dough is 12" in diameter. Transfer to a pie plate. Trim to fit and crimp edges.

Pumpkin pie:
One recipe for single crust pie
15 oz of pumpkin puree
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (do yourself a favor and use fresh nutmeg! It makes it taste phenomenal!)
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 C half and half, light cream, or milk (I used 2% milk)

For filling, in a medium bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs and beat with a fork (make sure it's mixed or you will have a spot of scrambled eggs!!) until combined. Gradually add half and half and stir until combined.
Place the pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully, pour filling into the pastry shell.
To prevent over-browning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 min. Remove foil and bake 25 to 35 min longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.

This is super tasty and makes 8 servings. In my case, I accidentally used my deep dish pie plate instead of the regular one so it looks a little funny. Also, I forgot to photograph until like 6 people had already taken some, but oh well. It went fast and seriously did not make it to day 2. Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonflame
« Reply #695 on: November 05, 2013 05:00:19 PM »

Pinkleo, I had my daughter pin those chickpeas for me.  They look amazing!!

Inselaeffchen, Those tags are GORGEOUS!

Audania1, YUMMY pie!  That's the second birthday pumpkin pie I've seen this month.  THe other was by a FB friend for her dd.  Must be a tradition with lots of people! Smiley

I'm squeaking my DA challenge in just under the wire. Smiley

Challenge: DA - A Drink at the Hog's Head
Project Name: Gluten-what?
Project description: I invented this recipe about a year ago.  It's an adaptation of the old 1 egg, 1 c peanut butter, 1 c sugar recipe.  I'll post the actual recipe right after the pic.  These so far have fed 9 peeps.  Oh, maybe 10.  Anyway. . . Cheesy

Recipe

Mix together:

2 c peanut butter
2 c white sugar
3 eggs
2 carelessly heaped 1/3 c measures of your fave GF flour blend.  Mine is a mix of whatever - usually lots of oat flour (I grind rolled oats in my coffee grinder), rice flour,  and some tapioca starch, sorghum flour, whatever.  I know this is a weird way to measure it, but it's what works for me, LOL!  I'm a scoop and toss baker.  When I'm careless, things turn out better.  (This flies totally in the face of my husband's everything-must-be-scientifically-measured approach, but hey, whatever works, right?)
2 t vanilla (or more, or less - whatever you like)
1 t baking soda
a couple of big handfuls of chocolate chips.

Mix it all up, scoop it onto sheets (I use a little 1" scoop for lots of small cookies.  That way we all feel like we've had a ton. ^_^ ) and bake for about 8 mins.  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: November 05, 2013 07:17:44 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA - A Drink at Hog's Head
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Rolls
Brief Description: Whenever I have large groups over for dinner, these rolls are my go to recipe. They take a lot of time to rise but in my opinion are worth the wait!

Project Picture:

Ingredients:
2 T dry yeast
2 c warm water
1 T sugar
Put in mixing bowl and let bubble (10mins).

⅓ c sugar
⅓ c shortening
1 t salt
Mix into bowl with yeast

⅔ c dry milk
1 egg
Add to bowl. Then add 5-6 c flour.
Let rise till double in bowl (2hrs).
Put rolls on baking sheet and let rise (1 hr).
Bake at 350 for 15-18 mins. Makes about 2 dozen (which feeds about 6)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Nicajeanie
« Reply #697 on: November 05, 2013 07:39:54 PM »

Can I just say I truly dislike being sick. I miss Madam Pomfrey!

Been watching all these wonderful crafts popping up and feeling very lazy. Gotten a few things done.

Class: DADA
Project Name: Wellington's Coat
Project Description: I crocheted a coat for my daughters new puppy. I wanted it simple but warm and be able to add to it as he grows. The personal challenge was making it without a pattern. It hunter green with golden "LMC" embroidered on his back.

Challenge: DA - A Drink at the Hog's Head
Project Name: Janie's Apple Cake
Project Description: My "big sister" taught me to make this many years ago and it's loved everywhere I take it.

Recipe
3 cups apple, chopped
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla

Start with eggs, oil and sugar-mix well
Add salt, soda and cinnamon-mix well
Add vanilla-mix well
Add flour (I do 1C at a time) mix well
Apples last and mix well.
Bake in a greased bunt pan at 350 for 1 hr.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SenatorOrgana

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #698 on: November 06, 2013 06:21:45 AM »

I'm really enjoying this Drink at the Hog's Head Challenge - so many great recipes!! I've got my first Thanksgiving cooked-by-me dinner coming up and I'm gathering lots of ideas! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: November 06, 2013 10:32:49 AM »

This is a flyby project posting to meet the deadline.  I have several other projects to turn in; but that will have to happen on another day.  Undecided

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA - Have a Drink at the Hog's Head
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Spiced Peach Butter
Brief Description: I whipped up a batch of this amazing peach butter last weekend.  I love that you make it in the slow cooker not only because you don't have to babysit it; but because it makes your house smell wonderful.  Since it's a bit late for peaches I used frozen peaches (thawed first) and my results after processing the cans was a little thinner than I expected.  I made 7 jars and have opened one for myself (you know, to make sure it wasn't poison  Wink) and have given another to a friend.  The rest will be included in holiday gifts.

Spiced Peach Butter

Yields 8 half-pint jars

12 cups peaches, peeled and diced
1 cup honey
6 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker (crock pot). Cook on low heat for about 12 hours. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.  Cook for an additional hour or two, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  (You may want to remove the lid on your slow cooker for a little while to let some of the steam escape and give the peach butter a chance to thicken up just a bit.

Ladle the peach butter into hot, sterilized jars (half-pint jars worked well for me).  Wipe the rims and then fit with sterilized lids and bands.  Process for 20 minutes, once the water has come up to a boil.

Recipe from My Kitchen Addiction
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Face Painting - Tiger Face Details
Final Touches for the Tiger Face
Using a Pencil Sketch of the Tiger Face
How to Apply Base Coat for Tiger Face Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...