A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 90196 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: October 20, 2013 11:44:50 AM »

pinks, I LOVE your awesome Owl Basket!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2013 12:33:40 PM »

Id that the texture of the yarn you used or is it a colonial knot?  OH *^&^^&(i&!!!!! 
It's just ordinary stranded embroidery floss. I think i used 2 strands, and sewed french knots. LOTS of french knots. Like, I should by right be fluent by now...

Pinks, the owl basket is such a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Nicajeanie
« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2013 12:54:45 PM »

midkiffsjoy
You've been doing some amazing work yourself! LOVE the creative hats!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nicajeanie
« Reply #583 on: October 20, 2013 01:29:35 PM »

Here goes nothin'. I'm anxious just writing it down.

OWL Proposal

Subject & Option: Transfiguration option 1
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Andi's New Zealand Travel Journal
Brief Description: Take a HUGE pile of bills and junk mail...shred it...soak it...grind it. Make frame. Make paper. Sew pieces into book. Make cover. i.e. change yuk, boo, hiss into a forever memory. (I hope)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #584 on: October 20, 2013 01:49:12 PM »

Id that the texture of the yarn you used or is it a colonial knot?  OH *^&^^&(i&!!!!! 
It's just ordinary stranded embroidery floss. I think i used 2 strands, and sewed french knots. LOTS of french knots. Like, I should by right be fluent by now...

Pinks, the owl basket is such a great idea!

OMG, Noodle-bug - that's soo great! I hate, hate, HATE french knots... NEVER got the hang of doing them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiamatfire
« Reply #585 on: October 20, 2013 02:53:16 PM »

Advanced studies Sunday!  My OWL is going well, the little sweater is knitted and blocking right now.  It still needs buttons and possibly eyes on a few of the owls.  I've cast on for the hat as well.

I was talking to Mistress Jennie and I think this project will work for Fear of a Name, but it's OK if it's decided it won't!

Challenge: Fear of a Name:
House: Gryffindor
Name: Failed felted SPEW slippers

So my supervisor at work is really awesome, and took in a runaway kid that's good friends with her daughter.  He's running away from a bad family life, so they're having to completely support him financially.  As a thanks to her for doing this, and also for helping me out with some of my field work, I offered to make her a pair of felted slippers.

Now, this is a pattern I've used before, so the pattern isn't new to me.  However, our very tight budget means I couldn't go out and buy all matching yarn to make them, so I dug through the stash and came up with 3 different yarns that went together to make the slippers.  I made sure they were all 100% wool, so they should have felted correctly.  I've never mixed and matched yarn when felting before, so it was a new experience for me.  Plus, felting is ALWAYS scary because you just never know what's going to come out!

The slippers were pretty epic to make.  First I realized I'd miscounted the first sole so had to rip it out.  Then when I was nearly finished the tops (which are attached to the soles) I noticed that three sole stitches had slipped off the end of one needle, which meant I had to completely rip out the tops and start again.  After that, my daughter sat on a needle and snapped it totally in half.  I had to rip back a few times on the second slipper, and also search again for enough yarn to finish the outer soles.  After two and a half weeks I finally finished them, sewed them together, and tossed them into the wash to hope for the best.

Well.

One wash in, the soles had felted slightly with no felting on the tops at all.  I took them out of the pillowcase I'd washed them in to try and let them felt around more.  Second wash - more sole felting and no top felting.  Finally chucked them through one more wash and the dryer, and utter disaster.  The soles felted SUPER tight (completely unuseable) and the tops fulled slightly but nothing useable either.  They are now only good for the trash pile, because I can't salvage the yarn for anything and there's really nothing useful I can do with the mangled soles Sad

Lesson learned: it's a waste of yarn not to use matching types when felting.  Also, try felting a swatch to see what happens.

She'll be getting a pair of CROCHET slippers sometime later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
Magpirate
« Reply #586 on: October 20, 2013 03:56:07 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA - A Drink at the Hog's Head challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Peanut Butter Cookies!
Brief Description: My cousin is going to grad school in my city, and my aunt and uncle came to visit her last week.  The three of them and my girlfriend and I all went to my mom and dad's house for dinner on Friday.  I wanted to bring something for dessert (since dinner was supposed to start at six, but I don't get off work until then so I knew my girlfriend and I would be late).  I decided on peanut butter cookies, the only recipe I know off the top of my head (one cup peanut butter, one cup sugar, one egg; mix, bake, eat).  Since my mom is on a low-carb diet, I modified the recipe to be a little more diet-friendly.  Here's what I ended up using:

1 cup natural peanut butter (the kind that's just peanuts and salt)
1 cup artifical sweetener (I used Splenda)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix all ingredients.  Roll into balls and smash with a fork dipped in more Splenda.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they look done.

Project Picture:

I didn't feel like this made enough cookies for seven people (plus I didn't really like how they tasted, although my mom and my girlfriend loved them) so I scraped together all the peanut butter left in the house and made a less-low-carb batch of cookies.  Here they are:

Since all the peanut butter left in the house ended up being less than half a cup, I had to do a little experimenting.  This is the resulting recipe.

1/2 cup peanut butter (almost, anyway)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix all ingredients.  Dough will be VERY STICKY.  Scrape globs of it onto cookie sheet and smash with fork dipped in sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just before they look done, because if you wait until they actually look done they'll end up crunchier than you might like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SenatorOrgana

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #587 on: October 20, 2013 05:23:23 PM »

SO many great projects here! I've loved browsing through this thread and seeing what everyone has come up with.
Haven't had a whole lot of time to participate, but I'm happy to post my second completed class project! Smiley

Class: Arithmancy
Project Name: Muladhara Chakra Hoopla
Project Page Link (if available): -
Brief Description: I've been exploring the chakras in different ways for a little while now. Incorporating them into crafty projects helps me learn about them and remember what I've learned. Embroidery is fairly new to me, so to practice, I decided to do a set of chakra hooplas. This is the first chakra, the Muladhara Chakra. I borrowed a book from my BF that describes each one in detail. For this one, it says:
"Yantra Form: Chrome yellow square with four vermilion petals. The square has great significance with regard to earthly awareness, as it represents the earth itself, the four dimensions, and the four directions. The form of the earth element is linear, and the four points form the four pillars or corners of what is known as the quadrangular earth. Four allows for completion, and earth embodies the elements and conditions for human completion on all levels."
I did simplify it quite a bit and chose just to do the main components. The book also says that the petal color is "vermilion mixed with a small amount of crimson red;" the lingam is smoky gray, and from another source I found that the inverted triangle is a deep red. Not entirely sure that all the colors are exact (what the heck is chrome yellow??) but went with what I had in my stash that seemed to be closest.
Overall I am pretty happy with it! Smiley It's a 4-inch hoop - I wanted to start small. It still took me quite a while to do, and it's kinda crooked, but I think once I get all seven done, they'll look nice together.

+ Ravenclaw Extra Credit: 4 also happens to be my Character Number  Cheesy So in many ways, this chakra is perfect for this class.

Project Picture:

I'm also happy to propose an OWL!
*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*
OWL Subject & Option(if available): Transfiguration Option 1
Project Name: Matchbox Advent Calendar
Brief Description: I want to make one of those awesome matchbox Advent calendars for my BF's daughter this year. Not only will I be using up my large collection of empty matchboxes, I'll also be able to do some stash-busting in my collection of scrapbook papers and various ephemera.
Timeline: 1st week: browse through stash to choose color theme & pick out components
2nd week: begin covering matchboxes and extra components
3rd week: assemble pieces and decorate exterior
4th week: purchase treats/gifts and fill calendar
THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #588 on: October 20, 2013 09:19:56 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Botts Bean - Pumpkin
Project Name: To the Market we Shall Go
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)  This Challenge was to craft something to represent where you would like to go... and well... I'd like to go shopping!  Although I'd love to go to the open air markets around the world... as shown in all those old movies... well... a new arts and crafts store had just opened in town (so we won't have to drive 80 miles round trip) and I'm looking forward to going shopping for yarn, etc.  My stash never contains just the right colors for what I want to do, so off I go!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #589 on: October 21, 2013 02:37:07 AM »

Challenge: SPEW - Expecto Petronum
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Bright Prayer Shawl
Project Description:  As a nurse the situation grabbed my heart. I had to do something. I didn't have a choice, there was never a doubt. I MUST do something! Then I discovered she loves bright things and was overjoyed to make this prayer shawl. May it bring comfort and hope.
Project Picture:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/323923_18Oct13_DSC00713.JPG

I absolutely love it!!! and your story brings a tear to my heart. What a wonderful person you must be. I hope I get a nurse like you when I need it!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013 02:45:03 PM by pinkleo - Reason: please do not quote images; remove img tags in post ...thanks :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Program Mode (P)
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Mode (M)
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Focus Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set ISO Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Format Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...