A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 91341 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ant Bee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #550 on: October 16, 2013 07:42:40 PM »

Such cool stuff!

The carry along Hogwarts is inspired!

The curtains, tiny hats and all the swap packages (So jealous! but I just knew I wouldn't be able to do it comfortably- especially with the Co7F hanging around demanding attention.)

Jennie's jewelry accomplishments! My word!

All the good talk about Caring crafts makes me so happy!

Oh, and to Inselaeffchen, if it makes you fee better I will admit that I haven't worked in my Advanced Studies project in ages and I proposed it in September... of last year!

Seriously, these first 55 pages of awesome are really inspiring, so thank you everyone!

Quote from: pottermouth link=topic=427092
I need to find that guy and marry him.
True story.
lol

Good.  We'll all be at the wedding.  I have my jar of Floo Powder at the ready.
Ooh, yay! Sunshine yellow robes for everyone!

Good, because I look alright in yellow.  Cheesy

Could you imagine the party we would have? All gussied up in our yellow robes and grooving to the melodious sounds of Celestina Warbeck?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013 07:55:29 PM by Ant Bee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: October 16, 2013 08:52:47 PM »

There is a bit of a personal story to go with this one.  Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Dumbledore's Army -- Have a Drink in the Hog's Head
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Mom's Famous Cookies
Brief Description: My mother passed away suddenly in 2005.  She worked at the school where, several years later, I am now employed.  So although we were never working there at the same time, several of my co-workers now also worked with her.  One of the things my mother was known for was her "famous cookies" -- she would always make them for special events, the holidays, etc.  My mother loved sharing the recipe with people -- with her name prominently displayed at the top, naturally.  Wink  Even now, people at work will make these cookies and share them with me, and it never fails to touch my heart.

And you want to know the crazy thing?  This is a total cheater's recipe.  Baking for people who don't bake.  And the best part is that you hardly need any ingredients!

Mamavanbuck's Famous Cookies:
  • 1 box butter flavor cake mix
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/2 bag Skor English toffee bits OR 1/2 bag Heath Bits o' Brickle toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350.  Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Mix together with a fork until ingredients are completely incorporated.  Take heaping teaspoons of mixture and form into balls, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 11 - 12 minutes, being careful not to let nuts burn or bottom get too dark.  The cookies will spread A LOT while baking.

Now, full disclosure: these are going to have a different feel and texture from your regular cookie, and they can be a little greasy (they are SUPER crumbly and moist).  But I love making them, because they are so easy to throw together, especially since you don't need the traditional fresh ingredients like milk and butter.  (I don't drink milk for dietary reasons, so it is not something we buy at home unless someone needs it to cook with.)

For years and years and years, we only made the "traditional" recipe, using the butter cake mix.  But last year at Christmas time, as I stood staring at all the different varieties of boxed cake mixes in the grocery store, I wondered if other flavors might work, and so I started experimenting.  Oh man, do they work!  Not all of them, certainly, but I have had huge success in using a spice cake mix and switching out the brickle bits and nuts for cinnamon chips, as well as chocolate cake mixes with peanut butter chips.  Grin

So this past weekend, I tested using a carrot cake mix for the first time.  This particular cake mix came with a bag of "real" pieces of carrots and raisins, which I used in place of the nuts and toffee bits (though I didn't like the texture of them in the cookie, so next time I will leave them out.  I might try using golden raisins instead).  In going with the whole carrot cake theme, I iced them with a cream cheese frosting, and brought them in to work the next day.  They were a hit with my co-workers!

Project Picture:

I managed to get 18 cookies out of this batch.  Now, I'm sure you real bakers out there would easily be able to tweak the recipe to change the amount of oil based on what kind of cake mix you're using (and maybe even incorporate "real" ingredients like milk and butter!), and come up with a superior product.  But for me, since it's my mom's recipe, it will always be made with 2/3 cup of oil and 1 egg.  It is certainly not the fanciest or most professional recipe (I don't think you could even call this "made from scratch"), but it is dear to my heart.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013 09:02:30 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)
  • August Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: October 17, 2013 06:05:37 AM »

@vincentvanbuck: Thank you for sharing such a personal recipe with us dear!  These are the kind I like seeing the best when we do recipe challenges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Moonflame
« Reply #553 on: October 17, 2013 07:11:53 AM »

Noodlebug I love your curtain!  And your bottle hats are adorable!

Abbeeroad   OMG, that castle is fabulous!!  I <3 it!!

DragonChilde Your shawl is beautiful!  I really love the embroidery around the edges.  Wow!  And yur monster book of monsters is awesome!  Your wand is beautiful, too!  What a lucky swap partner you have! Smiley

Vincentvanbuck  Yum!  Those cookies look wonderful!  Thanks for sharing such a personal recipe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #554 on: October 17, 2013 07:22:30 AM »

vincentvanbuck - Awesome story and the cookies look delicious!! All the variations you mentioned sound equally amazing.

Have you ever tried Speculoos Cookie Spread? It has a peanut butter consistency, so it might not work in your recipe, but it seems like the perfect ingredient to experiment with.

Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #555 on: October 17, 2013 09:38:02 AM »

I love that cookie story - especially because the 'traditional' recipe turns out to be a cheaters one Smiley

Challenge: Pumpkin bean
House: ravenclaw
Project: woodland wandering bedsocks
When I think of going off on adventures, I always imagine myself wearing my pyjamas. I don;t really know why; I guess I expect I'll be just wandering round in my jim-jams (having snuck out to rescue a friend, or after being kidnapped by pirates out of my bed, or just on my way to look for a midnight feast) and then accidentally stumble into fairyland (as you do) - I think this must come form reading too many kids books like that where the protagonist is always in their dressing gown
So, for this Bean, I have decided to make bedsocks; they will fit with my dress-scheme, and keep my feet toasty while I walk about. I made them in woodland colours, becasue in my head all the best adventures happen in woods (and that's where the faeries live!). So these socks represent my desire to travel to fairyland, and my method of getting there Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013 09:42:21 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
WhistleFish
« Reply #556 on: October 17, 2013 12:12:32 PM »

Class: Flying
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Ghostie Footprints
Brief Description: I had the urge to do some Halloween crafting with the baby girl but I didn't know what I should do. I was "flying" around on Pinterest and I came across some ghosts. Now our apartment is full of little ghosties flying about. Not for long though - most will be sent flying to the grandparents'.
Project Picture: (This is just two of them. I made a bunch more but I wanted to show them close up. I'm tucking them in with our Halloween cards for the family.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #557 on: October 17, 2013 12:16:53 PM »

Vincentvanbuck, I love your cookies and story!!! It's always so nice to hear/read such a personal story and it absolutely put a smile on my face Smiley. I think for this challenge, I'm now going to go find something in that personal vein too. Thank you for sharing!!

Noodle-bug! I love your socks! And your story for them lol. I agree. I think the woods are the best place and - hey! If you happen to run into a faerie, then so be it  Grin ...... we must read the same books  Wink

Whistlefish those foot ghost's are adorable! I've been wanting to do this with my kids for sometime  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: October 17, 2013 01:44:27 PM »

When I think of going off on adventures, I always imagine myself wearing my pyjamas. I don;t really know why; I guess I expect I'll be just wandering round in my jim-jams (having snuck out to rescue a friend, or after being kidnapped by pirates out of my bed, or just on my way to look for a midnight feast) and then accidentally stumble into fairyland (as you do) - I think this must come form reading too many kids books like that where the protagonist is always in their dressing gown

Darling noodle-bug, I did not think it was possible to love you more than I already did. 

I was wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #559 on: October 17, 2013 01:59:34 PM »

Love how your socks don't "match" noodle.

Super cute, Whistle-Fish! Gives a whole new meaning to "trick or treat, smell my feet!" Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Dusk or Dawn Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Copy Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Beach or Snow Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Backlight Scenes
How to Take a Basic Picture Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...