A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2013~ End of Term Feast Dec.5-10  (Read 95472 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #470 on: October 08, 2013 03:41:28 PM »

Challenge: SPEW
House: ravenclaw
Project: Big Knit - little hat
I was given some wool. It's.... well... acrylic, and a rather grungy shade of purple. But I didn't want to waste it so I figured I'd practice my knitting by making so bottle hats for the Innocent Big Knit (people make hats - every bottle that gets a hat earns 10p for age concern when it's sold).
I usually use a much chunkier wool than dk, so getting to grips with thin fiddly needles was an issue! and, though I used the pattern from the innocent site, my tension must have been off since it's a little short. Still usable, though I will now be striving to better it for the next hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
netchez
« Reply #471 on: October 08, 2013 05:57:34 PM »

Class/Challenge:  DA - Fear of a Name
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:  Baby Mittens
Project page link: www.redheart.com (pattern WR2160)
Brief description:  I learned to knit many years ago (like 65)... but haven't knitted in over 20 years, so trying to knit again was not a thing I really was comfortable with.  I intend to knit an owl scarf but try as I may, I couldn't get it to work... so I gave up and decided to try something smaller with no pattern to follow except the shape... namely mittens!  I have never knitted mittens (tho my mom knitted me a pair every year) and was REALLY afraid of doing the thumb.  I was pleasantly surprised that I could do it, but I am not too happy at the spaces around the thumb.  I am going to try again and again until I get it the way I want it!  And I have conquered my fear!  Now if I could just learn to do sssk and k2tog with European knitting (which I do) or learn to do continental knitting... I am convinced I'm going to solve this problem!
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013 06:01:24 PM by netchez » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: October 08, 2013 06:56:26 PM »

Class: Astronomy
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Starry Night Charm Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428059.0#axzz2hBHOdlsF
Brief Description:  This bracelet idea has been floating around in my head for a while now, but after some prompting from our dear Headmistress pinkleo, I finally got around to putting it together.  It is inspired by van Gogh's Starry Night.  The bracelet contains 17 charms, including 4 golden Celestial Crystal stars, and 13 pewter and Tibetan silver stars, suns,  planets, and of course, the moon.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Bertie Bott's - Apple
Project Name: I Love NY Charm Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428060.0#axzz2hBHOdlsF
Brief Description: This project was inspired by an apple.  The Big Apple that is! After I found a charm of the Flatiron Building, I just knew I had to do it.  (Seriously.  It's a teeny tiny pewter copy of the Flatiron Building!)  The charms include a Hot Dog, Taxi, the Flatiron Building, I <3 NY, the Chrysler Building, NYC Subway Token, Camera, Statue of Liberty, Horse & Buggy from Central Park, Post Card, Newspaper, Apple, Ballet Dancer, New York, the Empire State Building, Double Decker Tour Bus, and Chinese Takeout.  The beads are glass in shades of red for the Big Apple, black, smokey grey, and yellow for the famous yellow taxis.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - September
Project Name: Baking Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428062.0#axzz2hBHOdlsF
Brief Description: This bracelet has been in the works for ages.  I've been collecting charms for months, but just never got around to putting it all together.  So finally, here it is!  The 17 charms include Sugar, Strawberry, Measuring Cup, Baking Chocolate, Rolling Pin, Cupcake, Stand Mixer, Cake, Bundt Pan, Cookie Jar with dangling Cookie, Spatula, Slice of Pie, Spoon, Croissant, Carton of Milk, Teapot & Cup, & Muffin Pan.  The beads are a mix of glass, Czech glass, and ceramic beads in shades reminiscent of baked goods including golden brown, caramel, toasty tan, strawberry cream, and just a sprinkle of blue.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - October
Project Name: Autumn Fairies Bracelet

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428061.0#axzz2hBHOdlsF
Brief Description: This bracelet was inspired by two things... the colors of falling leaves, AND by Craftster's very own Knickertwist!  I love her fairy inspired art, and it got me thinking about creating my own ode to the fey.  It contains 17 Tibetan silver and pewter charms, including an Acorn, Floating Fairy, Mushroom, Butterfly Fairy, Pumpkin, Fairy Riding a Snail, Oak Leaf, Flower Fairy, Tree, Sprite, Leaf Fairy, Apple, Flying Fairy, Leaf, Fairy on the Crescent Moon, and a Tiny Pumpkin.  The beads are a mix of glass, Czech glass and crystal in shades of amber, gold, orange, scarlet and olive green.
Project Picture:

Challenge: DA - Fear of a Name
Project Name: Vegan Caramels

Project Page Link:  http://www.herbivoredinosaur.com/2010/02/vegan-caramels-with-chocolate.html
Brief Description: Ok, so here's a bit of a tale.  It may sound familiar, as pinkleo already posted her DA project, and we were inspired by one another.  A few years ago now, I found out I was lactose intolerant.  And it sucks.  I get really sick by foods that I've eaten for years.  One of my favorite things on the planet (besides cheese), is caramel.  Specifically my MIL's soft caramels that she makes every Christmas.  And this past year I tried *just one* to see if my tummy could handle it.  It could not.  Sad  Not at all.   Angry

So I turned mostly to the world of vegan cooking and baking, in an effort to avoid dairy.  But I missed caramel.  And while I'd had a few commercially produced vegan candies that tasted good, I was nervous about making homemade soft caramels.  Because, if I didn't try them, then they were a distant HOPE.  A hope that I could have caramel again.  But if I did make them, and they were awful, that hope would be dashed.  Sad  So, I finally got over my fear and tried making these this weekend.  And you know what?  They were freaking delicious.  (Notice the nearly empty plate.  Lots had already been eaten.)  The recipe was easy, and is linked above.  I should also note that I made one minor modification.  I used about 1/8 cup maple syrup to replace the same amount of brown rice syrup.  I love the very mild maple flavor they added.  In an effort to push myself to try a few options, I left some plain, and wrapped them in wax paper.  Sprinkled some with sea salt.  And then coated some in dairy-free chocolate.  They were definitely as good as the commercially produced vegan candies that I liked.
Project Picture:

Class: DADA
Project Name: Ballet Bracelet

Project Page Link:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428065.0#axzz2hBHOdlsF
Brief Description: One of the hardest things for me to do is craft outside my comfort zone.  And one of the things I'm not comfortable with is crafting girly items, or things that are pink in any way.  I just dislike pink.  A lot.  So, I worked to get over that this weekend with this.  A very girly, very pink, Ballet Charm Bracelet.  And you know what?  I'm pretty happy with it. Cheesy
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013 08:41:20 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: October 08, 2013 07:57:43 PM »

rockmygypsysoul -- both of those things (oil painting and embroidery) are at the top of my list of things I want to try.  Excited for you on completing these projects!

As someone who works primarily with acrylics, what was your take on using the oil paints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Fall/Character Ninni
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
stillatthetop
« Reply #474 on: October 08, 2013 09:28:59 PM »

Har, har. Silly American here. Don't understand your mitten post, but I think they look like a great first project. Good luck on your other attemps. You do better than I could!

~T

Oh, I should add that I love the jewelry charms posted. I made a neat charm bracelet recently from things that I have collected. Will have to get photos of them and post them here. Some are from when I was just a kid! It has special meaning to me.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013 09:32:27 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #475 on: October 08, 2013 10:13:01 PM »

rockmygypsysoul -- both of those things (oil painting and embroidery) are at the top of my list of things I want to try.  Excited for you on completing these projects!

As someone who works primarily with acrylics, what was your take on using the oil paints?

Thanks!

Honestly, I loved the oil paints but it is quite different.  I love how it's easier to build and correct with the oil paint although I still wasn't prepared for how long it takes to dry (given that it still hasn't yet).  This may actually be a bit of an issue given that I have very limited space.

I tend to use white really quickly with pretty much anything but acrylic and oil was no different.  I think there's a lot of adjustment that has to be made for the fact that once I make one brush stroke with the white oil, I absolutely cannot touch the canvas again until I've re-dipped since it will blend instantly.  So there's a lot of freedom to correct but I'm going to be needing a lot more white than every other color   Wink  I do think that eventually I'll be MUCH more likely to try more realism with oil than I have been with other paint.  I tend to have better line drawing skills and have a really hard time blending acrylics successfully so I never attempt portraits or anything, but I think some day I may

I also found, incidentally, that the actual feel of it - like when I get some on my hands - is kind of neat.  I typically paint in bed or on the couch due to some chronic conditions so it's more comfortable so I end up with paint EVERYWHERE.  The feel of the oil paint on my skin is infinitely better than acrylic though that may not be relevant for anyone else  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
AugustBell

« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2013 05:59:49 AM »

I LOVE the Starry Night bracelet! So. Much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonflame
« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2013 08:40:49 AM »

Wow!  Awesome bracelets!  Cheesy  And caramels, too!

The pink mittens are so cute!  Thumbs really intimidated me, too, at first.

I'm loving the wee hat!  And I found a can of pumpkin in my pantry, so now I have to decide between pumpkin and banana bread, LOL!

I have a few more things. . .   (Some were made about 2 weeks ago and then forgotten!)

House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Mooncakes and other snacks
Project Description: When I was researching the moon, I was reminded of the Moon Festival and the moon cakes we used to eat when I was a kid in Hong Kong.  I can't have proper moon cakes anymore, because of wheat/gluten issues.  This, however, is fine for us, as well as for my youngest's Calico Critters. ^_^  Moon cakes always have a beautiful design embossed on the top, and I was having trouble thinking how to do this, when I was hit by the sudden inspiration to press a sort of chrysanthemummy bead into the top!  I'm SO pleased with the result.  Now if I could just get the "egg yolk" in the middle to not smoosh when I cut them. . .   The moon cakes inspired a bunch of other treats that would be best eaten by moonlight. Smiley
Project Pic:

This pic has the tail of our young cat, Wheatley (don't worry - he's gluten-free!), for pseudo-size reference.

and

Challenge: House Pride
Project Name: Huffle Owl
Project Description: I've already done House Unity, so I shall only count the Huffle Owl for House pride.  I made these friendly owls after being inspired by this video.

also

Class: Muggle Studies
Project name: Piastre puffs
Project Description:  I was at breakfast in the Great Hall the other day and saw Ron Weasley playing with this funny-looking coin.  I asked him about it, and he said it was an Egyptian Piastre that his family had sent from their trip to visit Bill.  I made this Hexipuff that's reminiscent of its colour and shape (and a green and purple friend for it.)  Then Wheatley found my basket of 3 Hexipuffs, knocked it over, and stole my piastre puff!  My daughter was chasing him up and down the stairs and around the house to try to get it back for me, LOL!  I should study Wheatley's movements for Divination class!  So far it would appear that we are to be crushed by an enormous, rolling stone (Indiana Jones style), but I could be misinterpreting the book. Tongue

Oh, I forgot this!  He's not really for any class - just for fun. Smiley  I found the instructions in this video.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013 08:47:19 AM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #478 on: October 09, 2013 11:48:45 AM »

I apologize for this enormous craft-a-palooza!!

Class: CoMC
SPEW
House: Ravenclaw Snickerdoodles.
Title: Snickerdoodles!
Link: none. Recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Description: Ive always found that comfort food helps me cope during difficult times, so I made Snickerdoodles. They may not comfort the were wolf in its form, but surely it will when they return to being human. I made these for a bake sale at my daughters school. They are trying to raise money to buy new computers for the students this year.

Class: Bertie Botts Bean Apple
SPEW
Title: Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Thumbprint cookies
Link: none. Recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Description - Rhubarb, like Apples have a rather specific growing cycle. Strawberries, which can be ever bearing or produce throughout the year are different. Rhubarb and apples have specific growth and can generally only be harvested within a specific time period. I made these strawberry rhubarb jam thumbprint cookies for the bake sale at my daughters school.

Title: Whiskey Orange Marmalade
Link: http://thesugarbakery.blogspot.ca/2013/02/marmalade-gets-tipsy.html
Description: This marmalade takes 24 hours to soften the peel. As well, I began it at night, when my children were sleeping, and had to finish it the next night. As well, whiskey being what it is, I was literally canning with Moonshine! lol

Class/Challenge: Dumbledores Army Fear of a Name
Title: Madam Puddifoots Tiny Tea Shop
Link: None
Description: I have never made anything on a small scale before, much less used the paper mache style technique in anything Ive crafted after first grade haha. I was worried it wouldnt turn out quite the way I wanted. I had several mishaps with the outside and time of drying, but I really love how it turned out! I created the tea shop from the description when Harry and Cho go during Valentines Day. I was super stoked to get it to light up on the inside! This was supposed to be a medium item, but it definitely exploded haha.

Class: History of Magic
Title: Potions Recipe Card Book
Link: none
Description: One of the most used rooms in Hogwarts is the Library and its filled with tons of information and books like Hogwarts, a History. Another famous and quite used book is also required for young wizards and witches and its called Moste Potente Potions. As a young student, to get through your potions class, you must use and reference this book often. I created this particular one to be able to add new potions and recipes right into the book!

Class: Dada
Extra Credit: Charms
Title: Luna Lovegood
Link: none
Description: Ive had several challenges with this particular item. The biggest being Lunas hair. Ive never sewn with yarn before. Ive crocheted it, but never sewn it and it was tricky. Thankfully I mastered the confundus charm and I love how it turned out!

Class: Divination
Extra Credit: Muggle Studies
Title: Lunas Big Cat Lion Hat
Link: none - right from my head!
Description: This Lion Hat was created for Pinkleos Luna doll to show her support of Gryffindors Quidditch team. It was idealized more after the Harry Potter movie than the book. In the book it was a plain pointed hat with a fake, stuffed lions head and mine is more of the whole lions head as a hat itself.

Whew! That's everything so far!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013 12:02:48 PM by Audania1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #479 on: October 09, 2013 12:12:37 PM »

*lugs trunk into Hufflepuff common room* *unwinds cat from around neck*

I never thought I'd make it! Is it October now? I got a little... sidetracked... on the way here. I think it was September when I set out. Can someone show me to my room? I need to start my classes soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
What Lighting Neutral Density Gels Are
Making a Better Batman
Marcus Dunstan on Torture Porn Censorship and Saw VI
Matthew Modine on Working with Stanley Kubrick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...