A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Time Lord Cabbage Patch Birth Certificate and Adoption Papers  (Read 930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: August 31, 2013 12:27:22 PM »

My children's baby brother turned 1 and his mother is a Whovian (which works out because we're a family of Whovians. Smiley.  I already knew I wanted to give him a Cabbage Patch.  They are soft and he and my youngest already played with her's.  But the vintage doll I won at auction for him, while it LOOKED like him, did not come with a birth certificate or adoption papers.  THIS HAD to be rectified.  I emailed the company, and they don't sell replacements.  This was going to have to be a fabrication project.  There is NOTHING on the internet (that came close to satisfying me).  I searched for hours for what it should say, what it should look like, etc.  THEN I got up the gump to text his Mommy and ask her what the doll's name should be.  After some debate it was decided that the doll's name should be Jon Smith.  It was like opening a Mary Poppins bottomless can of worms.  I got sucked in and before I knew it I was building a Time Lord's birth certificate and adoption papers.  Being a TIME LORD's papers they had to be MUCH cooler than *just* Cabbage Patch papers.  Oh no, THAT just wouldn't do.  I searched through fonts for JUST the right Doctor Who fonts, a font that was the closest I could get to Robert Xavier's signature, through pages and pages and pages of Doctor Who images searching for just the right images, and the hardest of all.... a border.  Seriously, that border was a lucky find.  THEN......  I had to learn how to write Circular Gallifreyan. 
Yes.  On the back of the certificates and papers are the translation in the written language of The Doctor's home planet. 
They are both patterned after the original vintage papers that came with all of our Cabbage Patches, all those years ago, altered to be fitting of a Time Lord.  The birth certificate reads This is to certify that Jon Smith was born on Gallifrey on August 13, 2012 (Baby Brother's birthday), and on the back that is EXACTLY what it says in Gallifreyan.  The adoption papers have the signature of Sydney Newman, the Head of Drama at the BBC at the time of Doctor Who's primer and the man ultimately responsible for it's existence.  The adoption pledge reads I promise to love my time lord with all my heart.  I promise to be a good and kind companion.  I will always remember how special my time lord is to me. and THAT is what is printed on the back of the adoption papers in Circular Gallifreyan.  Smiley  I wrote in Gallifreyan using Paint and GIMP.  I can't begin to say how many layers there were.  It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.  These papers took me a soul sucking, served meals at the computer, 4 days to complete. 
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013 12:58:17 PM »

Excellent! No, you couldn't have had normal papers for John Smith no matter how much work these took (amazing how much time things can take even on a computer!) These are brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013 01:07:00 AM »

This is awesome Cheesy
Hopefully he'll appreciate the love and effort when he's older.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nyxinae

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013 01:44:58 AM »

This is so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Test Lab: Rubber Varnish
Beauty Quickie: How to Make Your Mani Last
Beauty Quickie: The Quickest, Easiest Reverse French Manicure
Learn How Get a Denim Look on Your Nails
Get The Most Out Of Your Skin Care Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...