A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage inspired Seeds Packets for saved seed :)  (Read 583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: August 31, 2013 12:18:07 PM »

I wanted to post these in gardening, but they're made of paper so I'm torn....

Since before we arrived in Texas in 1834, my family has saved garden seeds.  One of the worse moments of my childhood was when, one spring, my cousin Steven and I decided to plant *our own* garden in Aunt Bendina's front yard (just like Aunt Bendina, his grandmother, and my Mommy.  EVERYONE had HUGE gardens back then).  We tilled a 2' square section of Aunt Bendia's flower bed with a hand trowel and then planted seeds that Steven pulled out of a dresser, unknowing that these were seeds saved from plants saved from Aunt Bendina's mother's garden, which she saved from her mother's garden, which SHE had saved from HER mother's garden..... yeah you get the idea.  *Cringe*  My mother has never stopped gardening but I have not managed too well with ours.  This Summer the kids and I made a concerted effort and have been growing a bit.  We have taken to saving the seed of everything we eat, but WHAT to put it in???  At first I washed the seed, laid it out on a sheet of newspaper to dry, and stored them in empty spice bottles.  But those are clear and seed should be protected from sunlight to extend it's shelf life  (an EXCELLENT excuse for this project).  And so I made seed packets.  I printed out a pattern, found on the internet, of a seed pack onto card stock.  I then sprayed it with spray adhesive and attached it to scrap booking paper.  I built a label using GIMP, and an online program called pixlr.  The picture in the frame is actually a picture of the pasture behind my mother's house where I grew up.  Smiley  I couldn't stop there so I hole punched holes in the back of the seed packet and glued in ribbon, which I could use to tie the packet flap shut with. Smiley  Now my seeds are stored safe and dry, and out of the light.  Smiley
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
librarylover
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013 10:43:34 PM »

You really put a lot of work into these, and by packaging your saved seeds in these clever packets, you're demonstrating to your children how much you value your garden.
Great project, and I enjoyed reading your story, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Looking at the Mixer Panel in the Multitrack View
Adobe Production Studio - Editing in the Spectral Frequency Display View
Adobe Production Studio - Introducing the Adobe Audition 2.0 Interface
Adobe Production Studio - Audition and the Multitrack Environment
Adobe Production Studio - Final Comments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...