A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
824 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dimples and Opposable Thumbs  (Read 2623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013 11:40:23 AM »

I wanted to move on from the cloth dolls I have made from socks and try some new techniques.  In particular I wanted to have a go at a method of defining the mouth shown in Sunnhild Reinckens' book Stoffpuppen Wie Kinder Sie Lieben.  And also a way of making thumbs opposable that my mother told me of some years ago. 
Of course the day I decided I wanted to do this I had no suitable fabric in the house except a pair of sleeves cut off a blue t-shirt that I'd turned into a vest.  Being impatient I didn't want to wait and buy some fabric just for something that was going to be experimental and might not turn out well at all. 

These photos show how I stitched the inner head to give the face a bit more shape than the usual Waldorf type face.

All the body parts are marked onto the fabric using templates and stitched before cutting out. The pattern for the hands is squared off instead of rounding over the fingertips.

The opposable thumbs are done by stitching the arm seams including the thumb,  but  leaving the finger tips open. You may be able to see that in the photo above. Then you fold the tube of the arm/hand so that the seams move  to become the lines demarcating the little finger  on one side and the index finger on the other (instead of being directly opposite each other)

This pulls the thumb round into the palm. You have to make sure before you sew that you don't make two left or right hands Roll Eyes

My sewing of the fingers isn't all that neat.

The shoulders and hips are button jointed so she/he can be posed a bit.

In the end I thought he/she turned out quite cute if an odd colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013 11:44:50 AM »

He's pretty adorable Smiley And if he had less fingers and toes and yellow eyes I'd swear I was looking at a perfect baby Nightcrawler Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Video Game Swap: Crafting

Can't swap? I do commissions too Wink
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013 06:05:57 PM »

Love the color, it makes a very original doll. Thank you for the pictures on the sculpting for the head and hands. Very cool technique. I love him/her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013 11:41:18 PM »

He is very lifelike, in spite of the colour  Cheesy. Your Mothers advise about the fingers is a good idea. I'm looking forward to se more experimenting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013 02:42:26 PM »

It's always fun to see new techniques in doll making. I think he/she has great needle sculpting in the head. It' has good proportions, and the feet turned out adorable. I'd not seen this technique for the opposable thumbs. When I make my dolls, I cut a slit in the hand, make a wired armature that fits into each of the fingers, like a glove, with one wire that comes  through the hole in the hand for the thumb. Then the thumb is a separate piece that is sewn on by hand. I learned the technique from Ute Vassina while making one of her troll patterns. You did a great job. Smaller dolls are actually harder to work on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013 01:25:22 PM »

Many thanks for all the kind and constructive comments.  I had to Google Nightcrawler as I hadn't heard of him  before.  I guess it would be a lot less work to do three fingers and two toes.

I love your dolls craftewoman, particularly all the details you put into them.  I have been trying to embroider features but maybe I should have a go at painting like you do as yours are so expressive.  Just a bit nervous as you can always unpick sewing but paint is a little permanent  Undecided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013 07:03:14 AM »

Thank you for sharing your 'how to' ...I think your doll is adorable!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Hiroshi
How to Draw Hinata Hyuga
Behind The Scenes: IDW Comic-Con Exclusives
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
How to Draw Final Fantasy Characters
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...