A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stash bust multiple weights? (knit or crochet)  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragdoll193
« on: August 03, 2013 11:11:40 PM »

So, I have this project that I have posted about before. I am making a project, either knit or crochet, that will include yarn from all over the world as I hit various ports on my eventually Navy deployment.

I want to make one thing to include all of the yarns, but I don't know where to start with a pattern! I am thinking that a scarf or a blanket would be best

I figure this is super similar to a stash busting project, since it will include lots of colors and weights and generally not quite matching yarn.

Does anyone have a favorite multi-yarn project they would like to share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
kimadagem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013 11:23:19 AM »

Quite a few years ago I attended a workshop at the Estes Park Wool Market on a crocheted vest that was made with lots of different kinds of yarn. I don't still have the pattern and can't remember the last name of the person who designed it (her first name was Carol and I think she lived in New Mexico or Arizona, if anyone can help with that) and anyway, it was copyrighted. But the idea was to play with color and texture and I made some really nice vests. Since I'm prone to buying just one skein of something it was a really good choice for me.

But I think your project is going to be bigger than that since you'll be traveling a lot so I'd suggest an afghan. The vest pattern worked with similar colors but for an afghan you could get away with lots of different ones. I think it might help if you kept the hook size the same and used more than one strand if the yarn was too thin; otherwise the thin yarn might wear faster (I speak from experience on that one Sad  ). You could also keep the stitches simple, maybe just scs, hdcs, and dcs; if you use novelty yarn fancy stitch patterns would get lost anyway.

I think this is a great idea. Besides giving you something creative to do along with your job you'll have a great souvenir of all the places you visited during your tour. And it will be useful besides!

Have a safe trip.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
ragdoll193
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013 12:40:44 AM »

Thank you! I posted this inquiry on the knitting board as well, and I saw a beautiful start to a multi colored blanket, and it seems that that is the way I may go.

I would definitely love to hear more ideas though, as I am SURE I will have lots of scraps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Artist Shares Extreme Halloween Tips That Will Get You In The Spirit
How to Get This Preppy Camo Manicure at Home
Best Mascaras of 2014
The History Behind the Iconic Chanel No. 5 Perfume
How to Do a Rock Stud Manicure Yourself
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...