A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone have experience in bartering for/getting volunteer help with a business?  (Read 368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nowheresound
« on: August 30, 2013 12:15:26 PM »

Sooooo, I've been making custom clothes for a long time now, and I've gotten to the point where I'd really like to expand this hobby into something that looks sort of like a business. The thing is, normally I'd ask for help from friends - but I just moved to a new area and I know basically no one within a four-hour drive.

I've done a bit of poking around, and it seems like there are some people in my area who would be willing to model/take photographs for me in exchange for the experience/portfolio expansion/possible trades. So, what I'm wondering is... do any of you lovely crafters have experience with situations like this? I'm a little bit afraid of it all going to hell in a handbasket since I don't really know these people. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Heeeelllppp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013 11:15:41 AM »

Not sure why it's going into a handbasket. If there's strangers/fear involved, then find a meeting place that's fairly public, arrange to check into Facebook or by phone with people you know within a certain time frame (better make sure your phone is fully charged up!), and so on. If it's a commitment fear (no shows, etc.), there's always a danger of that if people aren't getting paid; they feel there's less obligation if they aren't making any actual money. Meet with these folks ahead of time at a coffee shop or some other public place, and yes, investigate their facebooks and so on. These days people let it all out there. Get their names, addresses, and phone numbers, and ask for an emergency contact in case "something happens".

As far as real bartering goes, unless you and your bartering partners want to pay taxes, I would stay away from calling it bartering. Yes, the gub'mint wants to steal money from you if you barter value for value even if there's no actual money exchanged. Keep the agreements very simple with no loose ends.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013 11:21:16 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Ghee
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
What is Young Ginger
What is Thai Basil
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...