A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Merida costume for my six-year-old  (Read 641 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , disney , brave , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smokering
« on: March 27, 2014 03:21:20 PM »

DD does archery and loves dressing up and Brave, so a Merida costume was kind of a no-brainer for her sixth birthday.

Looking the dress up online I was astonished to find that it's not dark green at all. At least, there's blazing controversy. Apparently it's meant to be a dark, tealy blue which looks green in some lights. Looks green as heck to me in 90% of the film, but who am I to contradict the filmmakers? (And it did resolve a long-standing question in my mind as to why Merida merchandise featured a random blue dress that wasn't in the movie!)

Strangely enough I couldn't find any dark tealy blue fabric, so I bought a nice forest green and overdyed it with a dilute navy blue. My first time dyeing anything and I was a little nervous, especially when the fabric looked black immediately after dyeing - but lo and behold, it turned out perfectly. One day I'd be sewing it and thinking "Man, that dye didn't take at all, this dress is GREEN", and the next day I'd be thinking "Wow, I should have diluted the dye more, it's completely navy." Basically, it looks green in the light and blue in the shade; which is pretty cool! (Now watch as I fail to dye anything the correct colour ever again...)

I adapted two Ottobre patterns for the dress. The overdress was a long-sleeved winter dress I'd made DD before - lengthened, de-collared, widened at the hem and notched at the slightly lowered and widened neckline.

Most of the Merida cosplay I've seen just adds small 'peekaboo' sections of white to the sleeves and neckline. But it seemed fairly clear to me that Merida was wearing a chemise or underdress, so I decided to make the costume in two parts. (Probably easier, actually!) The underdress was a basic raglan-sleeved peasant top, lengthened and shirred at the neckline and sleeve cuffs. I didn't want the ruffles to be too bulky, so I finished the raw edges with a narrow zigzag instead of hemming them. I don't have any separate photos, but DD loves the underdress so much she's started wearing it as a winter nightie!

Anyway, here it is. It ain't perfect, but DD loves it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014 03:49:31 PM »

This is absolutely adorable! Looks so much better than any of the ones that are being sold by Disney right now.

I'm so jealous for all the little girls that get to grow up with Merida! She's my favorite!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014 08:30:59 PM »

That is indeed a colour-changing dress! It turned out fantastic, and I think its so cool that your daughter practices archery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mdelilahcarlson

so many crafts, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014 09:42:51 AM »

Beautifully done! Lucky daughter! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixidance
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014 03:33:02 PM »

Wow, this is amazing!  You did a great job on it.  I love the color Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014 08:23:10 AM »

beautiful work I love it.  I also love the action shots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Organic Haircare by Demetris Potamianos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Couture Hair Extensions
3 Hair Oils That Will Give You the Softest, Shiniest Hair
Create a Headband Braid in 5 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...