A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our teensy harvest  (Read 940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« on: August 29, 2013 05:54:10 AM »

So, we moved in January so we had to give up most of our garden. We were able to take along our two year old cherry tree, our two year old blackberry bush and our two gear old grape plant. Apart from that, we also put rocket salad in a pot. Unfortunately, our new city garden hasn't been very kind to us: our cherry tree got infested by wood lice just when the fruit was starting to grow. It was still so tiny, and the devilish insects really killed the young fruit. The grape plant blossomed, but gave no grapes (I'm actually not sure if grapes are self-pollinating, maybe we need a second plant?) and our rocket salad was entirely munched up by caterpillars! So this year, the harvest is minute, I got 150grams of blackberries from our bush so far, and there are still some berries ripening. They are very tart though, a lot more sour than the kind you get in the store. I'll need to look into soil additions to make them a bit sweeter!

We'll try again next year, hopefully the harvest will be better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013 06:27:23 AM »

They're beautiful.  Did you just pop them in your mouth or did they go into something clever?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Naantje
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013 06:32:29 AM »

Just popped them in my mouth. I might try making jam from the second ripe batch though, they're really sour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013 06:36:21 AM »

That's exactly what I would have done with them.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
amazing_784
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013 09:52:51 AM »

Good for your harvest!  It sounds like the pear tree we inherited when we bought our house early this year.  The pears were growing nicely, and fed the squirrels nicely as well.  Boo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LizzyEU
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013 04:33:38 AM »

The harvest isn't looking like much on my balcony either. I think the late frost and the rainy, dark first half of the summer didn't help at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013 03:25:16 PM »

Many berry vines only produce every two years. On the one year old "canes" and not on the new growth. I have Black Raspberry bushes (briar pile???) that behave this way. Proper pruning can keep them in check. We had a copperhead snake problem, and we weed-whipped them all to the ground last year. This year...no fruit, but they are spilling canes everywhere, so I believe the next year will produce good fruit.

You are probaly right about the grape pollination thing. Many trees and vines behave that way. They need a second one to "do their thing".

Have you considered "green" pest control to maintain the eating critters? That is when you purchase natural (buggy) preditors for your plants? Keep in mind that the catterapillars make wonderful butterflies to pollinate next year's crops.

Marigolds are a wonderful deterant for many bug species, too. And look lovely tucked into the garden. Basil is another good one to have on board. Good luck, and keep trying. Some seasons just don't work well with what we wish for, either!

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Silky Smooth Straight Hair
How to Care for Your Flat Iron
How to prepare your hair for styling
How to Curl Hair With Straightener
How to Curl Hair with a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...