A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anchor's Away Baby Blanket [img heavy]  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MidoriMentality
[ midoriMentality ] & Randomly Taylor'd

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2013 07:46:11 PM »

My sister recently commissioned me to make a baby blanket for one of her friends who is expecting in October.  She was sneaky with this one, because she had asked me for links to patterns with anchors in them for a nautical themed baby blanket, and knowing her knitting speed, this blanket wouldn't be done by October, so I ended up doing this for her.

When finished it measured about 32x40 inches I think. Each square was 7.5" plus the border.

I posted instagram updates daily for her to see my progress.  I ended up finishing this blanket in a little under 5 days.  I did 20 squares in a basket-weave (so I wouldn't get bored knitting a garter or stockinette piece 20 times over) in navy and white (10 of each colour).  The camera was absolutely awful at capturing the true colour of the blue.  It's a really pretty deep navy, but some photos it came out grey, others a paler blue, some black.. oh well, can't be mad at the equipment.
I did a mix of knitting and crocheting in this blanket, the border was crocheted around the blanket and the anchors are chains that were stitched onto the squares, but I figured I would put it in knitting because more than 90% of the blanket was knit.

these were the first 2 squares I finished I did a close up to show the texture, but the colour was way off.

2 days later I finished 3 more squares

then another 3

The next day I finished another 4

and finished the last 6 squares 2 days later

In the end I looked like this

from all the knitting and crocheting. I think I have carpal tunnel or something, so 5 days of non-stop knitting (plus 10 garment repairs/alterations in the mix) put a huge strain on my wrists, which I still haven't fully recovered from.

anywho... thanks for looking.
C&C welcome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013 04:45:38 AM »

The blanket is beautiful - but, please be careful with your hands and wrist, you'll want to use them for the rest of your life. So, if it hurts, stop - says and old woman, who has to be very careful knitting or crocheting  Undecided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidoriMentality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013 09:29:33 AM »

The blanket is beautiful - but, please be careful with your hands and wrist, you'll want to use them for the rest of your life. So, if it hurts, stop - says and old woman, who has to be very careful knitting or crocheting  Undecided.

I have been taking it easy on the crafting for the past few days.  I have doctor's appointment to get them looked at tomorrow, so I should be getting a more permanent remedy for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013 11:21:33 AM »

I'm glad to hear it. Maybe you could sew instead - I think I remember some very nice dresses and pants you've made. It is not hard on the wrist.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013 11:27:00 AM by Taramor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidoriMentality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013 11:43:57 AM »

I'm glad to hear it. Maybe you could sew instead - I think I remember some very nice dresses and pants you've made. It is not hard on the wrist.

I dabble in a little bit of everything, and I was prepping a costume for sewing yesterday and it was also kinda hard on my wrists.  It's unfortunate, the best I can do is just tape/wrap/splint my wrists every so often to keep them from hurting..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Pastels Makeup Tutorial
Summer Corals Makeup Tutorial
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...