A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Care package for a fellow Craftster... giving only  (Read 3850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2013 10:28:13 AM »

I have this idea that may need quite a bit of tweaking... suggestions of any kind welcome!
I have been in a really bad place lately, emotionally. When I see others this way on Craftster, I wish there were a system whereby a bunch of us could each send this person one small thing they would love to cheer them up. I would really like to see this happen somehow. Not only does it lift the spirit to get some goodies (as a gift) but to see just now many people do care about you.
I do not know how this would work, but I do know it would be a giving system rather than a receiving system.
I guess it could be like the regular birthday list where you would post that you are in a bad way and would like this or that to cheer you. Of course, I am in hopes that there would be no 'cheaters' who are perfectly fine...
If maybe 5 folks could craft one small item for that person and send it?
I know that giving is a wonderful feeling. When I am down, to give to someone else in pain really helps lift me.
Any thoughts?
And what on earth would we call it?
blu
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013 11:12:59 AM »

I think this is a wonderfully kind idea. I know I have been at some points of truly needing something like this & would love to pay forward the kindness people have shown me in those moments.

Maybe, to help make it a bit more swap-like, sending thank yous could be mandatory at risk of receiving negative feedback. That may help keep some "cheaters" at bay.

Also, one thought that has struck me right away is having a system in place that makes people feel very safe sharing what is going on. That some more sensitive topics don't need to be shared publicly or via PM with the Givers, though I think more detail would need to go to an organizer to verify a level of need & not just want.

I think it will be an interesting swap to find a balance for, deciding whose troubles merit a Giver, how many Givers, between allowing anyone to receive gifts & requiring hard proof of things (obviously the latter would not be preferred). But I think if these balances can be found, this would be a wonderful swap. Smiley

And if I may suggest a name somewhere along the lines of "Giving Joy."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
stellou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013 12:27:49 PM »

It's a fantastic idea! However I don't really agree with the risk of negative feedback. This is a case where I'd be happy to send a bit of comfort regardless.

By the way so sorry to hear you've had a bit of a toughie recently Blu so sending you a big ((((((((((HUG)))))))).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013 01:17:08 PM »

It is a great idea!

I have sent some fellow Crafster a little pick me up when another Craftster shared her information with me or when I read about someone needing some Crafster love. I pm'ed the organizer to ask for an adress.

Maybe it is possible to get on a list when you have received something you needed and when you are feeling better you pay if forward to another needer? Just an idea...

If this isn't happening, please blupaisan let me know and I will happily craft you something! I know how it feels to be down and for me crafting helps, so you'll do me a favour too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013 01:18:39 PM »

It's a fantastic idea! However I don't really agree with the risk of negative feedback. This is a case where I'd be happy to send a bit of comfort regardless.

By the way so sorry to hear you've had a bit of a toughie recently Blu so sending you a big ((((((((((HUG)))))))).

I only mention the feedback suggestion because I've been a part of other online communities that have been burned many times by people coming up with made up illnesses, legal issues, general dramaz, etc. I'm not a cynic, but I'm guarded about good people being taken advantage of, so it was more to ward off the people who may take advantage of the kindness of others. I promise I'm not trying to be cold-hearted! I personally don't care about receiving a thank you, just the knowledge that I helped to brighten someone's day is enough for me. Smiley

Also, I was thinking about this while doing my errands for work, & this may be way beyond the scope of thoughts right now, but before I forget it, would this swap be best assigning people to give to someone, or letting people choose who to give to?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013 01:19:00 PM by Painted Sparrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013 02:11:15 PM »

I love this idea... That's my two cents so far, but this way I can keep track of this topic, and add more when I'm up for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013 02:51:23 PM »

Painted, I know how you feel there....you should see some of the looks I get when I tell em my mother is in egypt to be with her son who's technically been parentally kidnapped and held for a visa.... though egypt doesnt see it that way...the u.s sure does...but i suppose thats the way the cookie crumbles *shrugs* because of that situation, i'll be missing my baby brother's 2nd birthday (missed his first too) and my mom for the first time in my life, wont be here for my birthday either... kinda depressing but hell im 22 gonna be 23, my brothers would probably laugh at me if i cried over mom missin my birthday XD

and my thoughts on the swap, why not have people choose... kinda like, everyone who's havin a bit of down time, post up i suppose what they are willing to post up, and let people choose who they send to kinda like the birthday swaps...i think that might work best cause i dunno bout anyone else, but people with certain types of problems i'm just drawn to, to try n make things better even if its just moral support... but thats just me n i'm weird >.>

And blu, I definitely feel ya there...since my mom started going to egypt and married her husband, my whole life has been turned upside down (sounds weird I know considering my age...but I live with my mom n my brothers...and I've given up my wedding for the past 3 years to try and help her and it seems like its never gonna end!) some days are worse than others, some days arent half bad....but sometimes people just need a little extra love to really get back into the swing of things
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Craftsunderground
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013 04:00:35 PM »

I am so up for this. Nothing would make me happier. I have some thoughts on how it might work. Maybe it could be anonymous if people were shy about signing up. They could write to the organizer and the swapper could just send to Craftster c/o their address.  (Just an idea.)
I am not too worried about cheaters. If someone feels they would take advantage of such an offer, then I think they need the kindness as much as anyone. And the items would be small, right? I don't think there is much of a risk there.
We could have a different organizer each month that receives the requests and forwards them on to volunteer "givers." I imagine that the givers would make something they could make multiples of so they would have them ready to go when needed.
The givers could post pictures and relieve the needers of that responsibility.
I would like to hear what others think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
kayrun
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013 05:20:09 PM »

so it's technically like a RAK (random acts of kindness) group?

I know there is a group like this on Ravelry, where folks post wish lists (and sometimes
a bit about what's going on in their lives) and then anyone who feels a tug at their
hearts gets the address from the group leader (or the person who posted the wishlist)
and mails a little RAK pkg.

The only thing is I'm not sure this would fit the Craftster swap guidelines....
the closest thing would be the Givers & Needers swap, right? So maybe having
the recipient of the RAK send a thank you card would meet the guidelines? 
Just thinking out loud here --
I do like the idea, just not sure how to set up the details   Undecided

eta:  I like including the words "care package" in the name of the swap~
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013 05:24:53 PM by kayrun » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013 09:55:09 PM »

I think this is a sweet idea and I would sign up to be a sender
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Barbie Doll
The Benefits of Using DNG in Lightroom
Rendering Previews in Lightroom
How to Draw an F22 Combat Aircraft
How to Draw Fanboy from Fanboy and Chum Chum
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...