A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Care package for a fellow Craftster... giving only  (Read 4029 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013 07:15:46 AM »

I have no useful thoughts on how it would work, but would love to be part of it, as both a sender and a receiver..this has been one sucky sucky year for me...and I got a random package in the mail from waggonswest a few weeks ago (I did send her something in return, because I wanted to, rather than her expecting it)...and it really really did cheer me up. There is such love and joy in a small item that someone has made to cheer you up that it would be wonderful if we could find a way to make this work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolmb
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

50 Projects 2014 List total 9/24

Making things, makes life happy!

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013 07:34:47 AM »

we do have the angel swap type thing where the person sending knows they will not get anything in return, they do it just to help another not feel left out.

I know it would be a lot of work for the persons running it. i feel it would be worth it and offer to help keep a list, keep the forum moving a lot whatever needs to be done.

I spreadsheet of sendings and the same moving from top to bottom would be an easy way to do it.

just my thoughts
well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013 07:40:46 AM »

What about doing something like an ongoing "fits in an envelope" swap where you craft a small flat item (card, atc, inchie house, whatever.) If you wanted you could pair it so that one person is the receiver of the cheer-up envelope and the other receives a thank you for cheering me up envelope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013 05:57:23 AM »

I very much appreciate all the interest in this subject and for those who are expressing a desire to make it work. It is so refreshing to see how many people care.
I guess I was hoping it would be a simple thing and suddenly we seem to have complications. So if I am not posting frequently (since I started this thread, that might be expected) it is because I am just plain  exhausted, overwhelmed, frozen, etc. about complications. I am really not in a good place just now emotionally and find it difficult to deal with multiple problems.
Just sooo many crises in my life all at once and when it was put to us that it would be an illegal swap, I just threw up my hands and thought 'see, nothing works in this life anyway, there is always something that comes along and stomps on a little seedling of hope.' That is not creative or healthy or good for problem-solving in general, I know, but it is where I am just now. Hopefully that will change.
I have good days and bad days and that may be reflected in posts that sound very different from eachother. Rather, I have so-so days and Hellish days.
I will hang in there, try not to abandon this idea, try to be open to everyone's ideas, and especially everyone's drive to make it work somehow.
blu
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Craftsunderground
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013 09:52:54 AM »

Since we are having difficulty making this happen as a swap, maybe we should take it off the boards. I think this should qualify under "Crafting for Good and Not Evil" and fits within Craftster rules. I would appreciate your thoughts.

We have at least a half-dozen people who want to help, but we can't seem to fit the swap rules. Let's handle it through PMs or email. I would be happy to be the "organizer". I recognize that it was Blupaisan's idea, but she seems to have a bit too much on her plate at the moment, so I am just offering. The "Givers" could make 6? small, fit-in-an-envelope, tokens of cheer (such as a card or note, ATC, felt heart, badge, TM patch, pendant, or bookmark) and send them to the organizer. That should give us a good supply. The Givers will also be asked to be "spotters." When someone spots a Craftster who seems to be in need of a pick-me-up (Needer), they will PM or email the organizer, who will send a PM to the organizer of the swap the Needer was posting in and ask for the Needer's address or ask the organizer to forward the gift.

This would require a small outlay of cash on the part of the organizer for postage (this is one reason why the gift must be small enough to be mailed in a regular envelope.) If this is a concern, we could rotate the organizer responsibility. I know that I regularly spend quite a bit on postage for swaps, so this seems very small by comparison.
We could include a note that explains that it is not a swap and if they want to post pictures, they should post in the personal gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013 11:35:08 AM »

No organizer should EVER give out the address of anyone without their permission! This is for everyone's security and safety!! Swappers sign up for swaps trusting that only the organizer and their partner(s) in the swap will have access to their personal information.   

The second issue I see is that Craftster rules don't allow items to be sent to one person to be redistributed to others. Unfortunately, before this rule was instated, we had issues of people receiving goods and sometimes even cash, and then disappearing. We do not allow swaps of this nature, and would not sanction this scenario.

It may seem that as moderators we are just trying to throw up roadblocks to helping make people happy, but hopefully you understand that we are trying our best to protect our members.

I think your best bet to make this idea work is to be aware when your friends on Craftster could use a little pick-me-up, ask them if they'd mind if you sent them something, and then have them give you their address. If you want a more organized method of sending in place, run a swap either like the Givers and Needers, where people sign up if they wish to receive a little something, and then are responsible for sending at least a thank you note back, or host a "pick-me-up" swap where swappers are partnered up and send to each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Craftsunderground
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013 11:43:52 AM »

I don't think you are throwing up roadblocks, Rackycoo, and I appreciate your advice. I tried to respect the rules, but you brought up some points that I had forgotten even though I have read the rules more than once; that's only one of many reasons why we need and appreciate moderators.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013 01:13:50 PM »

Thank you, mods, for keeping us on track. I know it cannot be easy to post what you do, knowing that you are doing some general squashing, for lack of a better term. No matter what happens with this idea, we WILL adhere to Craftster rules and continue to work on this in a respectful manner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013 01:57:35 PM »

Thanks for your understanding, and for recognizing that we're not simply "squashing" for sport!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013 09:28:05 AM »

i really do love this idea, and as another craftser having a bad year, i see both the hope and love in it, and understand the "squashing" for lack of a better word, but i guess that's why we comment all over the place and 'talk' to each other, for that community feeling.
if there is ever a way to do this, i would be there 100% both as a sender and receiver, as i understand both sides of the coin. one of the things i wonder about though is what if like me, we are all more 'supportive acquaintances' but not actual friends? i saw the thread and felt the need to put in my two cents as well. any ways hugs to you all, those having a bad time right now and those who love us having a hard time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Like 50 Shades of Grey in Lingerie Line
Would You Wear a Denim Onesie Like Rachel Bilson?
DIY a Not So Ugly Christmas Sweater!
Top 8 Ways to Add Sparkle to Your Style
Top 5 Ugly Sweaters for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...