A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pokemon tour was great! Completed WIP  (Read 1558 times)
Tags for this thread: pokemon , costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lettersalad
« on: August 25, 2013 12:04:25 AM »

Latest Update Pic:

Okay, brace yourselves - this is gonna take loooong and have loooots of pics.
I'll make at least the story short: having three daughters. First one infecting others with pokemon. Three pokemon fans around the house (four if you count daddy who's also playing). Getting news of the pokemontour via a friend of oldest daughter. Sewing big costume last time (Raichu, it's around here somewhere) with only two weeks time. Girls all totally "oooooooh, mee too next year!"
This year comes, no sign of new tourdates. Me not being sad about it, having NOT to sew two new costumes. Come summerholidays. Six weeks in Germany. Four of them occupied in one way or the other. At end of July, a day or two before we start into our holidays, I see a notice: Pokemon tour days publicized. Oh whow, the ones which are possible for us are end of september. Makes about 28 days for me to sew and fit these things on my daughter, cause now they still are in holiday camp!
So I start with the things I can guess about and wait for the girls for fittings.
I need two costumes cause the youngest will reuse Raichu from last year - but I'll need to alter that some cause the youngest ain't the smallest! (And besides, I know I can do better now...)
The middle one will be Squirtle (google him) and the oldest wants to be Quilava. Right now I'm working at Squirtles shell.
So bring on the pics:[

This is the styrofoam(?) I'll need to form the shell.
I start with drawing an octangle into the middle of a rectangle, 60 cms by 60 cms. The outer shell units are trapezoids, so I draw a line which goes straight through the center point of my rectangle and the corner of the rectangle. Because I want the shell to be rounded later on, I draw little triangles over these straight lines. They differ, some are 4 cm at the base, some are just 2 cms. The smaller ones are all to the sides, the bigger ones top and bottom, so the shell will get a more oval appearance.

I get a lot of pyramidal cutoffs which I save for Quilavas flames.

And I wish I had a professional foamcutter, something like heated wire and the likes, I'm literally covered in foam particles after cutting...

I sew the trapezoid planes to each other. The thread will not hold long, but cut through the foam if I don't take the tension off. But I plan to take care of this...

Some brown velveteen originally meant for upholstery. It has a nice, but not offensive structure and I think it perfect for the shell.

It gets the same treatment as the foam, but I don't cut the triangles but sew them together just like darts in clothing.

Then comes the real work: sew the upholstery fabric to the shell. I can't directly sew this to the foam (will rip out with time) but sew it to a linen fabric I have lying around (this was an old coverage from our couch).

But first I have to make sure it positioned correctly and there are no folds that will show later. I'm a perfectionist...
So I take a nylon thread and stitch through the ends of the darts from the fabric, through the foam where the corners of the octacle are and through the linen fabric. And back. And forth. I pull the thread quite short; later on I want to have the shell's structure visible by kind of quilting the shell. But I'm not sure my sewing machine will cooperate on this... the foam is 4 cm thick.

On comes the linen. Hey, come to think of it, this is red... this is getting really lifelike. Cheesy
I tack linen and upholstery fabric to the foam using needles, and then it's hand sewing time... a lot of little stitches have to be done, all close by, so the tension per stitch will be as minimal as can be. I did that yesterday, so today is Day of Truth - I have to do the quilting now. Wish me luck, as sewing by hand through that thick a foam really is no fun...

Until next step,
Salad
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013 11:46:58 AM by Lettersalad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013 06:21:10 AM »

Bless you.  Your daughters are lucky to have you.  I'll be excited to see more of your progress.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)
  • August Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Lettersalad
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013 11:46:56 AM »

Still working..
Of course my machine could NOT sew through that thick a styrofoam. No way I could get that under the footer. So it was back to my big needle and handsewing time. Ouch, my fingertips still hurt... I used a linen thread (turned out this was sturdier than nylon) and pricked my way along.

But what a lovely dimensional structure that gives! Non, je ne regrette rien...
Today I planned two things.
First, I need three "skulls" made of paper mache. I had all my supplies gathered: the wallpaper glue in a bucket stood ready, about two monts worth of newspaper AAANNNND - some really big balloons, circumference one meter!
I went with the balloons into the cellar, best place to make messes, placed two of them onto some cardboard boxes which stood there and put the last into a seond bucket to keep it from rolling away. Then I started to rip the newspaper into small pieces and - BANG! First balloon, all by itself, decided to blow it! Whew. Okay, I have more where this comes from, for now there are still two of them left.
So I stuck the paper into the bucket with the glue, put it onto the balloon, took next paper... you get the picture. I was about ten pieces into work when BANG! my working balloon TOO blew it. Ever imagined the mess a gluey, gooey, papercovered balloon makes when it goes pop? My luck the cellar has a rather low ceiling, so I just needed a stool to reach it and wipe away the splashes of glue up there...
Two down, one to go. I learn from my mistakes, so I covered the top of the bucket which doubled as working stand for the ballon with some newspaper. Just in case there was something that made it pop. And started over with the third one.
You see where this is going, don't you?
Okay, let's just say, this one lasted longer... making an even bigger mess.
I was really frustrated then... just until I discovered the two inflatable waterballoons rolling around in the garden. The girls never clean up after themselves...

Long story short: I now have two nearly dry skull-shells which I'll still have to make thicker, but the thing itself is working. Phew.
To celebrate this, I laid upon myself the completion of the outer shell: sewing a real long rectangle into a tube, stuffing it with... well, stuffing, and sewing it - again by HAND - to the edge of the preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'squirtleturtleshell.') Took me only about two hours, which is about one hour shorter than quilting it... well, whatever. So, now I give to you the completed outer shell, tadaaa!

And the inside:

*being proud*

That's all for now, folks, tomorrow I'll have to do other things, no sewing for me, no glueing paper mache...

Happy crafting!
Salad
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013 11:48:22 AM by Lettersalad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013 01:12:39 PM »

Two days now and I'm still putting that *** gooey newspaper onto my papermache-skulls. I just hope they'll dry soon so I can start putting fabric on them. I tried to take pics but it just looks like two balls covered in news. And I put so much effort in modeling some features into them!

Just to keep you up to date,
Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013 10:52:42 AM »

sooo cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
Lettersalad
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013 01:08:36 PM »

Some things good, some things bad... the quilava head ain't bad. Still needs a bit tweaking.

But the squirtle skull... it didn't dry properly, and today it ripped where it was still wet. So it is back to the start with this one... I still have some cast and am thinking about taking that. Dries a lot faster and could still cover with paper mache...

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013 12:05:38 AM »

And on it goes...
The skull have dried. At last. I redid the squirtle one and redid AGAIN cause I needed to open the mouth. The kid has to have a way to see where it is going, hasn't it?
Then I did the front shell for Squirtle. Again, lots of hand sewing... and I'm still not content with the fastening of the two shell parts. We'll see...
So for now, have a test-run Squirtle with paper mach skull and shell:

Methinks it looks good!
And while still at it, here is Raichus skull in its former state while trying to get the "skin" on it:

Oh, and in-between I started to sew a lot of flames for Quilava:

Back to work,
Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013 12:42:04 PM »

Long time no see. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just so much handsewing until you can *show* something. And, of course, when it gets into the flow, I just forget to take pics. I promise, I'll do better next time... which will be after sunday. We still have a birthday party waiting for a little girl who happens to want a Harry Potter themed birthday - which makes me stop sewing and glueing Chocolate Frog Boxes, printing Hogwarts tickets and Invitation Letters... ah, you should go see for yourself.

So for now, only a short look at two heads of three:

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013 11:41:14 AM »

Hello, we're back from the tour day!
The last week really got busy as there were all kinds of things I still had to fix, and one of the girls was out of town, so no chance of trying the costume on her.
The second one suddenly crazed out and refused to wear the Squirtle costume, saying it is too tight for her and she can't stand it. *sigh* We have this sooo often, all of a sudden the trousers are too tight or just "too small" - when the day before everything was totally perfect. So I had to do a very fast switch, giving Squirtle to oldest daughter and modifying Quilava so that middle one can wear it AND oldest one can claim it afterwards. Phew. And, not having already enough on my plate, on saturday I decided to redo the Raichu-trousers instead of just making them a bit wider... but youngest one really could not get into them. Lucky for me I *just* had enough of that orange fabric left...

And of course I forgot to take pics, I just have these few:

Squirtles tail, stuffed but not sewed in the structure.

Two parts of the trousers destined to be Quilava's legs. I had an old pattern for a fitting trouser and cut front and back in half, lengthwise. Then I retraced them on paper, but this time giving them curves for (later) knee and foot. Then I cut the fabric and sewed them back together, now getting some kind of "bag" where I had added the curves. After sewing in a dart I had a perfect "animal leg" - I guess a picture says it better than I can:

See the legs?

Well, and now to the action shots:

Last not least: we made one of the three "first places" - they chose the best three out of, about, 40 costumes, and Squirtle was one of them. But best thing was, how many people asked if they could take a pic of my three little pokemon!

Happy but tired,
Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
History in Five: Tom Clavin and Bob Drury on Red Cloud
Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith
The Farm by Tom Rob Smith Book Trailer
How to Get a Free EBook?
Claire Legrand: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...