A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Preserving Spider Webs  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread: help , spiderweb  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zunebuggy
« on: August 24, 2013 10:10:14 PM »

I find spider webs to be very nice natural works of art.  I read about a technique using hairspray or stick glue and construction paper to catch a web, but I had another idea and want to see if anyone has some advise how I could do this.  I was thinking if I bought this: http://tinyurl.com/lcynwd2 and could apply it evenly somehow to the web and then I was thinking of using clear plasticast resin almost cured but still slightly tacky in a nonstick pan to catch the web and then pour more resin on top of that.  After it hardened I could remove it and the web should glow in the dark.  I could use fluorescent powder as well and mount some type of blacklight under the final plasticast piece.  I want to know how I could apply the powder evenly and how to catch the web using some type of mold half filled with almost cured resin.  AND would the heat from curing resin destroy the web.  I have some plasticast but have never used it yet.

I wanted to add I do preserve webs digitally using PaintShop Pro.  I take a digital photo of the web using manual focus (difficult to get webs with auto-focus) and open it in PSP.  Add a raster layer with a transparent background.  Use very light gray and the Line tool set at the smallest width with anti-aliasing on.  I digitally trace every strand of the web and then when I am done I copy the whole layer and paste on a black background.  It's time consuming but I enjoy it.  I find if I make the lines white, they appear too thick.  Gray works better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013 01:03:14 AM »

Wow. Lots of questions. Applying the powder would be easy on a fresh web. Use a ketchup tube style bottle and squirt in the air above the web if it is still sticky, or just a bit wet with dew. That should stick it nicely to the web. Or maybe a pepper shaker style canister to sprinkle it over the top.

Heat from the resin? Don't know. Have never tried that. But it sounds like a neat experiment. Webs are pretty sturdy for most types of spiders. I think it would hold up to some heat.

I used to do the hairspray thing you mentioned when I was a kid.

I love spiders and recently lost "Charlotte" my resident spider (Orb weaver, also called Banana spider). R.I.P. They only live a year and die at this time of year, but she left me a large sack of baby "goodies", so I should have more next spring. Her man friend is still living. Much smaller than her, and not a good web builder. He just hangs out in the corner of the porch. Charlotte built me a nice web on the outside of my kitchen window. I hope her kids follow suit.  Grin You and I share the same fun with nature, I can tell.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get A Big, Fat Bun
Beachy Waves for Fine Hair
How to Give Yourself a Faux Bob
Our Must-Haves For Summer Hair
Pretty and Fun New Hair Colors to Try This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...