A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - August 23rd, 2013  (Read 1467 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GingerKnitter
« on: August 23, 2013 04:47:27 PM »

Yay fiber friday! I'm very excited to post today because I had this skein on the bobbin for like a month, but that's okay because I was busy with a new job. This is 100% camel down. I was a bit worried with spinning this because though I had spun this fiber before, it was in a thicker more airy (?) weight and is so soft. I wanted to go for something much thinner, but I worried because as I spun this it just felt like it turned into twine. So rough feeling! Edit: It softened considerably after soaking, so this was very misleading fiber to work with.

I plied this as a two-ply and I swear Belladune jinxed me! I had mentioned in a previous fiber friday that I like the yarn to kink back on itself in a certain way, so that I knew it would be pretty balanced when I took it off the niddy noddy. Belladune said something to the effect of "some yarns need to be overspun when you ply." Of course, I did not follow the advice of a veteran spinner and the first half of my was so underplied it just looked like two singles sitting side by side. So I had to run the yarn through my a wheel a second time to ply the first half better.

Next up on my wheel Abstract Fiber from AbstractFiber.com. It is a 50/50 blend of merino and silk in the colorway Copper. I'm spinning it up thinner than laceweight. It's amazing how the silk just allows you to go so thin.

What are y'all spinning?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 06:37:28 PM by GingerKnitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013 05:21:35 PM »

You say that first one feels like twine? That's funny. It looks nice. Hurray for learning, though, right? It's a PITA sometimes but hey, you learned! Wee! And good for you spinning thin. Are you going to ply it when it's done?

Here's the yarn cakes from my market spinning:

I've finished the scarf now. I think I'm going to post it in the Crochet board if you all want to see the FO.

ETA: Here's the scarf! Yay!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 05:38:16 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013 05:41:26 PM »

HOLY CRAP FIBRE FRIDAY!

I finished my rainbow yarn. The two skeins are WAAAY off from each other. WAAAAY. Not quite sure what I'll do with it now, unless I make the socks by inches instead of stitches/rows.

Also, I haz a turtle. A bullfrog turtle. My Turkish took a while to get used to, but she's going pretty good now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013 05:47:58 PM »

Alexus you are too cute! I say make the socks and just have the colors off from each other. Those are my favorite kids of socks. They will match, they just won't look machine perfect, and that's not what you want anyway, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

GingerKnitter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013 06:36:27 PM »

Jexxican, oops! Forgot to add that it softened up so much after soaking, so it was definitely a misleading fiber to spin with. And yes, I plan to ply it. I'm hoping for laceweight, but I'm sure it'll fluff up to fingering. I haven't spun with something with this much silk so I don't know what will happen. I am adoring your market spinning scarf! So much texture and it looks super cushy!

Love love love that rainbow yarn! It looks so fun! They would be so cool as socks, what a great idea.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 06:41:07 PM by GingerKnitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013 08:18:53 AM »

Alexus  I love your rainbow yarn.  What if you did one top down starting with red (example) and one toe up starting with red (example).  You could wind them in balls in different directions and knit them both the same way or two at a time.  This way they're fraternal socks and the "mismatch" would be less obvious or somewhat intentional.

Love the turkish spindle!  I just received a russian supported spindle for my birthday so I'm getting ready to embark on a learning experience too.

Jexx, your yarn and your scarf are lovely but for me I would want it a little cleaner prior to wearing but to each his own!  Great work.

Ginger,  That camel looks lovely, never tried that fiber but someday...  and I totally love that copper fiber, can't wait to see the final yarn, lace or fingering, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013 09:23:22 AM »

I just checked out Jexxi's awesome scarf project, and loooove it! That has got to be the thickest, squishiest scarf I've ever seen! I wonder if the guy asked for a smelly, greasy, scratchy, "manly" scarf so a female in his household stops stealing his winter accessories?

RhymeswOrange, that is a GREAT suggestion! I'll just ball them opposite to each other and off I go!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, GingerKnitter, that Abstract Fiber stuff looks luscious! Of course, I had to go check out the website Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013 01:36:14 PM »

Hey all! Haven't been around in a while, thought I would share my project this week. Alpaca fiber! I bought some raw from a friend and have been working on getting it cleaned up.
Here is the unwashed fleece.

Here is dried and starting to comb it.
And here it is pulled into roving!

Its a lot of work, bu totally worth it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013 01:53:17 PM »

Hey thanks everyone. While I was crocheting at the market last week I kept telling everyone I was making it for a crazy old man because Dude, yeah...

Rodelphia is back! You say that's unwashed Alpaca? I met someone today who has Alpacas and doesn't know what to do with the fleece. I was tempted to be like "ME ME ME!" but after my encounter with the sheep fleece I was a little intimidated. That looks pretty nice, though. Was it hard to wash? Oh my word, it looks so good. My mouth is watering over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Rodelphia
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013 02:03:07 PM »

Jexx, alpaca fleece is super easy to wash. All you need is a couple lingerie bags, hot water, a sink, and I used a splash of dish soap. It doesnt have the grease like sheeps wool, all you'll usually end up with is some dirt and vm. I'm going to buy all my alpaca raw from now on. I actually have more coming next week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scattered Sushi
How to Garnish Your Sushi Rolls
Asian Vegetables with Soy Sauce Gravy Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Ramen Noodle Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...