A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilled Paper Sunflower Necklace Tutorial  (Read 8984 times)
Tags for this thread: quilling , quilled , quilling_pattern , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlecircles
« on: August 22, 2013 11:37:07 AM »

Hi all!  It has been a pretty busy summer full of travel and the festival season has kept me too busy to post much on here unfortunately.  It is starting to slow down now however and I thought it would be nice to share a little sumpin', sumpin' that I made with my Craftster friends.  I hope you like it!

Before We Get Started.

This tutorial, while very easy to make, does call for the knowledge of a few basic quilled shapes - if you have never quilled before or need a little refresher, you can find a free tutorial at http://www.littlecircles.net/quilling-shapes-tutorial.  This tutorial also calls for a stacked quilling form (which is very, very easy to make) which you can find the free tutorial at http://www.littlecircles.net/apps/blog/show/32147013-diy-stacked-quilling-form-tutorial.  If you don't have the time to make one or just don't want to, you can alternatively use any type of cylindrical objects in the correct diameter Smiley

Paper.

For this project I used 7 different colors of paper.  You could use less colors for the interior petals if you wish but I will list the amounts that I used in the example pictured above.  I used Quilled Creations paper for this project which are all 17" long strips.

A) Copper              7 x 17" strips, 12 x 4.25" strips
B) Antique Gold     1 x 17" strip
C) Golden             1 x 8.5" strip, 8 x 4.25" strips
D) Sunset             12 x 4.25" strips
E) Pumpkin          12 x 4.25" strips
F) Deep Yellow     8 x 4.25" strips
G) Watermelon     12 x 4.25" strips

*Don't forget to snip the glue off the ends for a seamless finish.

Supplies.

Stacked quilling form (link to make is above) - Alternatively you will need .5", 2" & 2.5" cylinders to use as forms.
Glue
Scissors
Quilling tool
2 open jump rings
Necklace clasps
Cord.  For this example I used a natural hemp but I have also used leather.
Jewelry wrapping wire (not pictured)
Wire wrapping tool (not pictured)
Finishing sealer (I used clear enamel with a UV protectant)

Make 7 Outer Petals.

Using your stacked quilling form (the 2.5" tier) and one strip of color A, make a closed coil.

For color A, I chose to use a metallic paper.  As always with metallic and pearlized papers, be sure to press and hold the paper ends a bit longer than normal to allow the glue time to adhere.  

Shape Rings Into Teardrops.

Shape each of the closed coils into tear drop petal shapes.  Be careful to take not of where the outer paper edge lay and position it at the bottom of the petal so it will be hidden from view when glued to the center.

Make Spacers for the O Rings.

Make 2 tight closed coils using your quilling tool and 2 4.25" strips of color E.  With small amounts of glue, place and secure each closed coil into the inside peak of two of the outer petal shapes as shown in the photo above.

Make the Interior Petal Shapes.

Roll the remaining 4.25" strips in colors C, D, E, F & G, using your quilling tool into open coils.  Secure them with glue and shape them into teardrops.

In a random pattern, place 7 or 8 teardrops inside each outer petal.  The amount will vary depending on the positions you choose.  The petals containing the closed coils for the necklace fastenings will probably only need 6. There may be a few teardrops left over.  Once all the shapes are in place, use the tip of your glue bottle or a small dot of glue on the end of a toothpick and slide it between each of the shapes as well as the outer petal.  Do not use too much glue!  A little dab will do ya!

Make the Center.

Using the 2" tier of your stacked quilling form and the 17" strip of color B, make one closed coil ring.

Using the .5" tier of the stacked quilling form and the 8.5" strip of color C, make a closed coil ring.

Make twelve closed coils using your quilling tool and the remaining 4.25" strips of color A.

Place the small closed coil ring inside the larger closed coil ring.  Gently slide all twelve of the smallest closed coils in between the two rings.  Use the needle tip of your glue or a tooth pick to slide in between all parts to secure.

Before Assembling.

Place all seven petals around the center to make sure they will fit nicely before gluing.  Depending on how many individual shapes you placed in each petal, it may seem a bit snug.  This is no problem.  Just shape each petal into a narrower teardrop shape as a whole.  Do this with all seven and they will fit just right.

Place as so: two petals on the top, one petal with the closed coil on either side of those two and the remaining three evenly around the bottom.  Glue each petal to the center as well as the petals on either side.

Finishing.

Before turning your sunflower into a necklace, you will want to seal it in some manner to give it protection from both water and UV rays.  Use your favorite method.  My personal favor is a clear and thin enamel with a UV protectant.  Allow the glue and sealer to dry for several hours before adding the necklace fastenings.

Lastly but not Least.

It's time to turn this paper flower into a true piece of wearable art.  Using your jewelry pliers, open up each of the O rings wide.  I used 7mm, but I would have preferred 8mm.  Turn in each end of the ring.  When you close them into the closed coil, they will glide in better.  Using slight pressure at the sides, press the rings in to create more space at the top.

Loop your cord through one of the jump rings and fold over.  Using about 1.5" of wrapping wire, wrap the wire around the cord as pictured below.  I use my fingers.  Be sure to crimp the ends down with a tool so the wire does not stab you when you wear this necklace.  That would be no fun.

Repeat this same process on both the other side as well as the end bits to attach the clasps.  The length of the cord you use is entirely up to you and your preference.  Hold the necklace up to yourself in front of a mirror before putting on the clasps.  I never do this and my necklaces are always too long and I end up re-doing the clasps on shorter lengths. E.v.e.r.y.  s.i.n.g.l.e.  t.i.m.e.

You're Done!

Thank You & Happy Rolling,
Erin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013 05:11:50 PM by littlecircles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013 11:56:25 AM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013 03:03:38 PM »

wow i totally am going to try this some time! wish me luck lol you are amazing at quilling!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
littlecircles
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013 09:43:24 PM »

Oh I am so glad you are going to try it!  I will let you know that it is WAY easier than it looks.  If you need any help, let me know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013 09:49:56 PM »

question, can quilling be done with scrapbook paper or no?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chase_acow
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013 04:21:00 AM »

This is lovely, and I've never seen anything like it before. I might have to try out those tutorials you linked. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a geek, and I dispatch for a bunch of geek cops. I like writing, playing video games, and making messes while attempting to craft.

I'm still new here, so please tell me if I go wrong somewhere. I'm always up for some gentle correction.
littlecircles
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013 01:37:38 PM »

question, can quilling be done with scrapbook paper or no?

Quilling can be done with any kind of paper.  I would suggest you use paper that is colored all the way through since it is actually the edge that you see.  Acid free and archival are important too for the finishing of your work.

I am so excited to see a few people might actually make one of my projects!  Let me know if you need any clarification or help at all Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013 12:56:21 AM »

omg glad you said that as i had a brain tute and didn't even think of that...duh to me lol edges! lol hmmm.....not sure if i have paper that is all the way dyed through, only colored card stock, not sure if that will curl right. i have an idea though of maybe using white paper, but maybe spraying on color after! no idea... will have to experiment!

i saw in an old swap someone got a quilling kit. i had no idea they even made those! 

i will definitely let you know when i try it and show you! when i do one, do you want me to put it in a diff thread and give you the link, or post it here since i will be using your tutorial? still kinda new and figuring how it works when people try out a tutorial where they post it. do you make your quilling paper or do you buy a specific kind to do quilling with when you quill?

have you ever quilled with hand dyed papers you may have made? i once saw a watercolor on cooking oil i think it was, and you place the paper right on top and it makes some pretty spiffy swirls, i might try that also and do both sides of the paper, not sure if i would have to also dip the sides. lots of interesting ideas rolling around in my head bc i really want to try this! Smiley

i trully admire your stuff!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlecircles
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013 04:57:30 PM »

omg glad you said that as i had a brain tute and didn't even think of that...duh to me lol edges! lol hmmm.....not sure if i have paper that is all the way dyed through, only colored card stock, not sure if that will curl right. i have an idea though of maybe using white paper, but maybe spraying on color after! no idea... will have to experiment! [/font][/color][/color]

Yes, there are so many fun things you can do if you want to cut your own paper.  Newspaper makes some pretty cool designs as well and nail polish works awes to adorn the outside of projects.

i saw in an old swap someone got a quilling kit. i had no idea they even made those!  

Yep, but honestly they are not worth it.  Just get a slotted tool kit and pick out your favorite multi strip packs from the shop.  Aileen's tacky glue works best.

i will definitely let you know when i try it and show you! when i do one, do you want me to put it in a diff thread and give you the link, or post it here since i will be using your tutorial? still kinda new and figuring how it works when people try out a tutorial where they post it. do you make your quilling paper or do you buy a specific kind to do quilling with when you quill?

Put the photo up here!  That would be awesome.  The system will send me notification when anyone posts in this thread - that way I won't miss it Smiley  No, I do not cut my own quilling paper.  I go through so much and use so many colors that I think I would go crazy.  Quilling is my full time gig, so I us A LOT - o - paper.  I buy mine online from Quilled Creations, Lake City Crafts and Paplin Paper Products.

have you ever quilled with hand dyed papers you may have made? i once saw a watercolor on cooking oil i think it was, and you place the paper right on top and it makes some pretty spiffy swirls, i might try that also and do both sides of the paper, not sure if i would have to also dip the sides. lots of interesting ideas rolling around in my head bc i really want to try this! Smiley

I have not, but I think that would be awesome and that you should try it.  I would think you would only have to do one side as the dye would soak through, no?  The paper used in quilling is rather thin (like printer paper).  Card stock is not a good option as it would crack when rolled.  It also would not fit in a slotted tool if you choose to use one.

i trully admire your stuff!  Grin
[/color]
[/color]
Thank you!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013 04:59:50 PM by littlecircles - Reason: forgot something » THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013 05:06:20 PM »

just had an idea but the paper strips might be too thin for the idea. my idea was to reuse paper from a paper shredder lol. lots of long strips to find a use for. and all would be the same width. i dont have a tool for quilling. i have a lot of experimenting to do! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Trees Using Oil Paints
How to Paint Landscapes with Oil Paints
How to Clean Old Paintings Without Damaging Them
How to Blend Colors Together Using Oil Paints
How to Paint a Portrait with Oils Using a Photo
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...