A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 161376 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 24, 2006 12:17:00 PM »

klutzygirljenn- i love the color of the scarf! may i ask what color you used to make it that color? and i also am in love with that purple yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
klutzygirljenn

Crazy Glue really does stick 2 your fingers!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: March 24, 2006 12:52:43 PM »

Roxy-   It was Lamb's Pride Worsted  Emerald Fantasy Color... I squirted yellow food dye, red food dye and green food dye. No vinegar, just straight from the little tear drop container. The picture didn't show any of the purple, but it's in there, from the red hitting the emerald color.  Thx again.

It was fun, but a witch to knit. 194 yds on size 10 needles 11 stitches across... too like a week to knit it.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Live life to the fullest, cause if life weren't worth living, then why live at all!" - Moi
klutzygirljenn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2006 12:54:19 PM »

I just checked, Emerald Fantasy color of Lamb's Pride Worsted is out of date. I remember getting it in grab bag my mom ordered from a catalog around Christmas time.   Sorry!! But I bet a deep green/blue would do the same thing.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Live life to the fullest, cause if life weren't worth living, then why live at all!" - Moi
klutzygirljenn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: March 25, 2006 04:52:21 PM »

I re-dyed the skein with more kool-aid and it looks even better. More pinks in it and green plus a light blue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2006 09:24:01 AM »

I tried dyeing some yarns with wilton gel dyes. The pinks are mixed with some kool-aid. I find that there is still some dye bleeding with the wilton. I used lots of vinegar and some i added kool-aid and i still had the problem.

blog post http://magicpixieknitter.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_magicpixieknitter_archive.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006 11:08:04 AM by apixiegrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oiyi

Napoleon Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2006 09:37:38 AM »

apixiegrl, awesome dye job! The colors are very nice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: April 03, 2006 02:23:19 AM »

Mmmm... imagine what pretty socks this is going to make. More info at http://purlfriday.blogspot.com/2006/04/good-bye-yellow-brick-road.html#links

\shameless pimping
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008 01:40:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
meilynne
yarnaholic

sock it to me, baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: April 05, 2006 08:10:00 PM »

Man! Everybody's Kool-Aid yarn is fantastically gorgeous! Here's my FO with Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool in lemon-lime, orange, cherry, black cherry, grape, and berry-blue.  I wound off 100 yds, then made 6 mini-skeins still connected, and dipped each in small pyrex bowls, w/ 1 packet each, covered with water and nuked it. Crazy!

http://yarngear.com/blogspot/2006-03/koolaidhat.jpg100 yds total on 4.5mm needles
CO 108 sts and *K4, P2* for 6 inches,
then do the following decrease rounds
*K2-tog, K2, P2*
*K3, P2*
*K2-tog, K1, P2*
*K2, P2*
*K2, P2-tog*
*K2, P1*
*K2-tog, P1*
*K1, P1*
*K2-tog* then pull tail through sts and fasten.

Yes, you CAN make brown with Kool-Aid, like in my chocolate cream socks! Half the skein of Knit Picks Dye-Your-Own sock yarn took 10 (!) packs of lemon-lime and 2 packs of cherry.  On the stove, I kept adding the powder while the stock was hot, so it absorbed unevenly, but I do like that mottled hand-dyed look.  For the watermelon & lemon-lime stripes, 1 pack each, I mixed the dye into cool water, dipped the the yarn, THEN heated it to simmering, and I noticed that dye absorbs much more evenly that way.

http://yarngear.com/blogspot/2006-04/chocolatesocks.jpg

Here's more fisherman's wool in a watermelon colorway.

http://yarngear.com/blogspot/2006-03/watermelon.jpg

The earthy green was made by mixing tiny amounts of cherry into lemon-lime.  The pinks are Wilton's in varying strengths of Rose.  The red has some cherry added with the rose.

Someone mentioned about bleeding w/ Wilton dyes.  Look on the labels of your dyes for the word "lake" after the FD&C color name.  Those are not water soluble and will not dye your yarn, but merely stain it.  Some Wilton colors contain combinations of both "lake" and water soluble dyes, so only the latter actually dyes your yarn.   In that case, just wash your yarn well with soap after dyeing until the water runs clear.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 01:00:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roe
« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2006 09:47:24 PM »

Wow meilynne your yarn looks wonderful and very professional!

I just got done dyeing some KnitPicks Color Your Own. I wanted an aqua/green color and came up with this using 3 packets of Arctic Green and 1 blue lemonade.

More pictures on my blog http://www.knithole.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacey14
« Reply #489 on: April 06, 2006 06:21:01 AM »

so was the brown made with the lemon lime and cherry? I'd love to know!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Davy Rothbart Reveals Who He Admires Most
Meet Author Amy Wechsler
Authors Reveal Their Favorites
Meet Author Philip Smith
Meet Author Jimmy Carter
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...