A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 161998 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chocodog
« on: March 28, 2004 09:27:20 AM »

I have recently been experimenting with yarn dyeing. It's so fun to give your pieces a personalized look.

Here's how to do it:

I used online sources, and kind of mixed and matched info I found.
http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/basic-howto.html
http://www.ipomoea.org/emma/kadye/kadye.html

1. Take the yarn (animal fiber only) out of a skein, and into a large loop. I wrapped it around the back of a chair. I tied it with 6 bits of yarn in 6 places, evenly spaced around the circle.

2. Soak in warm water w/ 2 oz white vinegar for 30 min. I used water as hot as my tap would go, pretty hot, actually.

3. Take out of water, let water drip out, squeeze gently, wrap in old towel, and roll it up and squeeze even more water out.

4. Arrange in pyrex casserole dish, so the yarn is not overlapping itself. Make sure this pan will and can go into the microwave.

5. Mix kool-aid. 1 packet of koolaid with 6 oz warm H2O with 2 oz white vinegar. Swirl up so there is no powder. I did one color at a time, but you could do them all in separate bowls. I didn't want to do any more dishes than I had to.

6. Take baster (the thing for squirting turkey juice all over a turkey) and suck up some koolaid, and squirt on sections of yarn. If you tied the hank together evenly, you can use the ties as guides for spacing color evenly. Repeat for all colors. I used blue razzberry for the blues, and lemonade mixed with lemon lime for the greens. The juices will settle in the bottom of the pan. This is ok. I used 1 pack of koolaid mix (mixed as indicated above) for each oz of yarn. So 4 batches all together for a 4oz skein of lambs pride.

Note: Next time I'm going to try dipping half the hank into one color, and half into another, a la easter eggs. Smiley

7. Then you take the pan, and cover with saran wrap with holes, and microwave on high, checking every 2 min to see if the water in the bottom is clear yet. It was like magic, after 8 min, mine turned clear. I couldn't believe it.

8. Take the skein out carefully, it will be very hot and steamy. VERY HOT! I put the thing in the sink and ran hot tap water down the side of the sink. I guess you don't want the water, especially if it's considerably cooler than the temp of the yarn to run directly on the yarn, but through it. I think it would felt otherwise. Then I gradually made the water cooler and cooler, until I could pick it up. I squeezed the H20 out, rolled in the towel, and hung to dry.

It's so much fun, I would highly recommend.
Hope you all enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013 12:57:14 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop! Yay, buttons!
http://chocodog.etsy.com
6y_sapphire
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004 12:50:41 PM »

So cool! I think I might have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recalcitrant

je suis tres crafty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004 09:42:37 PM »

i love the effect on the colours, but in Australia we don't have KoolAid - what the hell is it?! is it like jelly crystals? (as in the crystals you stir into boiling water then leave in the fridge til its set into a bowl of jelly?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a llama!
CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004 11:37:36 AM »

Kool-Aid is a powdered drink mix.
It comes in a whole slew of fruit-like flavors and fun colors.
(It comes both sweetened, like iced tea mix or unsweetened, so its just colored/flavored powder.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting my way into the heart of a generation.
mlleemily

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004 07:46:53 PM »

I love the intensity of the colours! I'm visiting the US in a weeks time, and KoolAide is definitely on my shopping list. I love that it's non-toxic so I wont have to worry too much about cleaning my utensils and stuff too thoroughly- I'm not the best cleaner-upper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004 07:23:47 PM »

Chocodog,

Will the color ever bleed or rub off on anything? I have no experience with dying fibers but this seems like a fabulous project.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
chocodog
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004 01:25:10 PM »

just rinse well until the water runs clear. I made a hat out of the blue/green yarn, and there was never any blue on my forehead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop! Yay, buttons!
http://chocodog.etsy.com
gillian_houghton
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004 02:42:23 PM »

wow, that yarn is beautiful. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004 02:51:14 PM »

That is so pretty.  We used to dye our hair with kool aid in middle school.  It was permenant too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004 07:18:19 PM »

I have read about kool-aid dying and been too chicken to try.........but your tutorial made it seem a little less menacing.  It is on my to do list!   Does it matter what kindof yarn you dye?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing in Red Hook, Brooklyn
Yarn Resources
Choosing the Perfect Yarn
How to Do a Basic Knit Stitch
Introduction to Yarn Fiber Types
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...