A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 166780 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2006 08:24:01 AM »

I loooove the last one you have hanging on the dresser!  The orange, red/pink, blue!!!

I tried this the other day, maybe I can put up pictures, but my colors weren't very defined and I couldnt really get them to soak into the yarn and stay where I wanted... if that makes sense. 

Is everyone painting the dye on with a foam brush?  Or using the baster method? 

Is there a non-metal alternative to a cookie rack that can go into the microwave and keep the yarn out of the mixed drippings?

So many ?s! I want to try again... maybe tonight Smiley

EDIT:

Here's some pictures from my first try...

I tried again tonight so we'll see how those go.  I've dyed (fabric) with Dharma Trading dyes before and they are awesome.  After reading through this thread again, I think I'll use those next time for REALLY vibrant colors!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006 08:22:00 PM by aschnebly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #331 on: January 13, 2006 10:24:17 PM »

Is there a non-metal alternative to a cookie rack that can go into the microwave and keep the yarn out of the mixed drippings?

A woman at my lys said using a colander works really well to keep the mixed drippies from muddling the color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 14, 2006 08:05:33 AM »

This is a pic from my first attempt last weekend... I rewound the yarn and I think it looks much better now in a skein, than when it was in a loop . The brownish blots aren't so apparent now. This is koolaid strawberry, grape, and "changin' cherry" (green). The yarn is Patons merino, in aran.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Spangle
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2006 12:16:49 PM »

Hi! After reading this thread off and on for a couple of months, I finally tried this with my daughters (aged 5 1/2 and nearly 3) the other day. We used food colouring (dye). My older daughter used blue and red to make shades of blue/red/pink/purple, which I made crocheted into a hat for her. The little one used yellow and red to make a gorgeous fire-y effect. When I asked her what she wanted me to make with it, she said "a volcano!" ?!? Not sure how I'm gonna manage that, but ...

Then I made a skein of my own inspired by the colours of paua shell.

I've since worked it up into a spirally crochet scarf for my neice, and the buttoned scarflette thing, and I still have some left!

Cheers,
Miriam
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 12:51:02 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2006 12:48:23 PM »

thats beautiful.. I checked out your etsy shop.. I luv your models (^_^).. so cute.!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laamissa
« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2006 08:18:26 PM »

SPANGLE!! your scarflette is GORGEOUS!!!
love how the colors came out...and that shell button is perfect!!
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
Spangle
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2006 08:54:26 PM »

Thanks for the comments, guys. You know, I was totally surprised by how vivid the colours came out. I half expected them to fade away when rinsed, although it was obvious from reading this thread that *wouldn't* happen. Guess I'm just such a skeptic ;-)

I love seeing all the different colour combinations. And would definitely love to see pics of more finished stuff once you've used the dyed yarn, too!

Cheers,
Miriam

THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2006 08:42:22 AM »

ok, so I have a question. i know you need to dye with sugar free kool aid but does that mean the kind they sell for like people on diets that says sugar free on the front or is it the kind that you have to add actual sugar too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
socomfyhere
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2006 09:41:44 AM »

the kind in the little tiny packets that you have to add sugar to.  except here you don't add any sugar. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knightswhosayknit
Veni, Vidi, Texui

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2006 01:08:42 PM »

ok, so I have a question. i know you need to dye with sugar free kool aid but does that mean the kind they sell for like people on diets that says sugar free on the front or is it the kind that you have to add actual sugar too?

I may be wrong, but I think the packets say "unsweetened" rather than "sugar free"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone on Ravelry? My username is Caitlism, friend me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sketch Tutorial for Photoshop
How to Replace Color Command in Photoshop
Macho Makeover - Part 3
Macho Makeover - Basic Adjustments 1
Macho Makeover - Introduction - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...