A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 162703 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1030 on: June 25, 2007 07:18:19 PM »

Can you give us an idea of what kind of projects you want for her to be able to complete with this skein CraftADDchick?  That and the thickness of your intended yarn will make a huge difference to metre/yardage you'll need.  Oh and don't forget, animal fibres only if you want to Kool-Aid or food colour dye.

Maybe if you pick her out a specific project from the book that you know she will love.  Then you can purchase yarn of equivalent length that knits up at the same gauge (gauge info is on the label) as the yarn in the book.  Then you can gift her your hand dyed yarn and a copy of the project too.

Did that make sense?  Do you need help with gauge (or tension, it depends on where you hail from) too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1031 on: June 26, 2007 08:16:16 AM »

Hmmmm...picking out a project first is a good idea. Good thinking Miss_Vicki and Dulcinea! Would it be awful if I picked out a project that I know I would love? Wink But then I'd be crushed if she made it and gave it to someone else  Cheesy

My only choices for buying the yarn are AC Moore and Michael's, at this point. Maybe I'll have to do a bit of poking around in the store, and the book, to see what I can match up.

I should be okay with the gauge, as long as it's listed and I don't have to do any knitting!

Thanks again for your help- I'm sure I'll be back for more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
kaitlin
nothing in the past or future ever will feel like today.

Hearts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1032 on: July 02, 2007 08:27:04 PM »

I know that it's common knowledge that non-animal fibres don't dye well, but I just successfully dyed a skein with only 20% animal fibre, the rest being polyacrylic, with KOOL-AID.

It can be done. I'll post pictures later, possibly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! -
Goldfinch Anchor
I'd love to do some personal swaps, or get some penpals!
andi_sunrider
« Reply #1033 on: July 02, 2007 08:42:39 PM »

I've overdyed yarns that were only partial animal fibre, i think the lowest was 40% wool, with great results. Depending how the fibres are mixed, sometimes it's just the fuzzier bits that change or stay the same, sometimes you can see the actual different materials in what had looked like the same fibre initially.

I've also had some really crappy results, literally -- the sample turned the most horrid shade of brown!

So I agree, Kaitlin, that it can be done with really awesome results, but definitely do a little test if ya can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

« Reply #1034 on: July 02, 2007 09:15:11 PM »

sometimes you can see the actual different materials in what had looked like the same fibre initially.
  That sounds really cool actually.

I have noticed that the nylon baby yarn I tie my skeins with takes dye pretty well.  It comes up a bit of a lighter shade than the wool I've tied it around though.  I could be wrong about it, but it was worth throwing out there.  I'll save some from the next lot of dyeing and I'll give them a thorough washing machine test.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
chocodog
« Reply #1035 on: January 22, 2009 07:58:34 PM »

Yeah, as long as you don't care about the vibrancy of the end yarn, you can dye anything that has SOME animal fiber in it. I did a lion brand sparkly yarn once with grape kool-aid, and it was light lavender. Very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop! Yay, buttons!
http://chocodog.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How the New Orleans Dosant Was Created
Tart and Tangy Tuna Salad Recipe
4 Ways to Make School Sack Lunches More Fun
Chef Serves Next Level of Local Food
7 Delicious, Unique Waffle Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...