A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 161198 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitwitUK
« Reply #950 on: March 04, 2007 01:35:00 AM »

For anyone in te UK - I just got Simply Knitting magazine and there is a two page spread on handdying with Kool Aid this month Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
misplacedhippie
« Reply #951 on: March 19, 2007 06:46:15 AM »

Ok So I know I jumped on the bandwagon late, but I thought I might get the beautiful purple and blue variegation I was imagining in my head to a reality.  I got the required length of yarn, and followed the instructions - Kool-aid and Vinegar not that hard, placed all my yarn in the pot.  Skein one, turn around add Skein two.  What Happened?!  Skein one is PURPLE, with two light blue/gray spots.  Skein two is BLUE/Gray, with light purple spots.  It is like the purple dye all jumped on the yarn First.  This is not going to work, I have to have all of it to finish my project.  They are the same dye lot, I put them in the same pot!  They are Two Totally different colors.  I am planning an over dye, but they are still going to look different, very different.  Any Ideas on how to help the over dye to make them look more like each other so my piece doesn't look like I ran out of yarn and got something similar?  Can you bleach the color out without killing the wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #952 on: March 19, 2007 07:42:26 AM »

I don't really have an answer for you but the way this type of dyeing works is that it exhausts the color so maybe you didn't have enough color to dye both skeins. Purple is also a hard color to do.

I can't answer your actual question sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: March 19, 2007 10:20:19 AM »

I thought I'd show off some socks I have just started with some Kool Aid dyed yarn...

They look like Easter eggs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: March 19, 2007 10:24:20 AM »

Any Ideas on how to help the over dye to make them look more like each other so my piece doesn't look like I ran out of yarn and got something similar?  Can you bleach the color out without killing the wool?

Maybe just repeat the same dyeing process (i.e. mix up the purple dye the same way) but reversing the order - put in skein 2 first, turn around, put in skein 1 and hope that it evens it out somewhat - give skein 2 the chance to greedily soak up all the purple.
Also, were you stirring/agitating them while dyeing?  If skein 2 was floating on the top the entire time, that might be why the colors are different...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #955 on: March 19, 2007 11:00:07 AM »

If skein 2 was floating on the top the entire time, that might be why the colors are different...

the way this type of dyeing works is that it exhausts the color so maybe you didn't have enough color to dye both skeins.

I'm not a chemist nor do I pretend to be one but I have done quite a bit of dyeing and both of these things are similar to observations I've made. I think some colors dye better at different temperatures and the top and bottom of the pot are going to be different. Also different colors "take" faster than others so purple got sucked up fast.

I wouldn't recommend bleaching - it is unlikely to turn out even and may damage the wool. I would probably dye them again making sure - A-there is enough koolaid in the mix (it takes quite a bit), B-there is enough water so the yarn/dye can move around, C-stir the pot (gently so it doesn't felt) to move things around for even distribution of the dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uknowuluvit

hi =] I'm Deb.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: March 19, 2007 03:52:33 PM »

I thought I'd show off some socks I have just started with some Kool Aid dyed yarn...

They look like Easter eggs!

I really like this !! The colors are soo beautiful. makes me want to go paint some easter eggs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leethal
« Reply #957 on: March 21, 2007 12:43:56 AM »

i just want to add my yarns to the thread.  this was my first try at dying - 6 batches: the first starting with brown yarn, the next two starting with sage green yarn, and then three starting with off-white yarn.  i got better with each batch, learning as i dyed....

yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leethal.net + leemeredith.com
uknowuluvit

hi =] I'm Deb.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: March 21, 2007 05:05:58 AM »

wow those are beautiful leethal! and i like your avatar pic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #959 on: March 22, 2007 12:36:52 PM »

All sheep should smell like grape!!   Cheesy
Actualy does the smell wear out? 
I have some hand wash yarn I dyed very recently.
It still smells of grapes, and though I love it I dont think the finished product should smell of grape Koolaid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High School Senior Portraits Go Upscale
The Sartorialist Sizzle Reel
Photographing in Places of Worship - Photography Tips
Capturing Details in Architecture Photography
Bryant Austin on the Scale of a Life-Size Whale Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...