A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 162707 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: November 01, 2006 02:10:52 PM »

If you do still have excess dye after trying what TheBon suggested, it is possible to reuse it on new fiber.  
I got the most beautiful light blue color (robin's egg blue) once after I dyed some yarn a much darker blue, noticed that the water still wasn't clear, and then popped new yarn into the "leftover" water...

I think this is a good thing to do as sometimes I've left fabric/yarn in dye longer to use up all the dye, and then it's come out a shade I didn't like. eg cherry red ending up as maroon (sp?).

I always do this. Since I do handpainted yarns, I steam them but inevetibly some dye drips down into the steam bath water - so I dump small quantities of fisherman's wool into that water next and let it exhaust the dye. Sometimes I get exactly what I expected, other times I get all these suprise shades. I've got a growing collection of little balls of yarn that I'll probably use for a fair-isle project of some sort some day. I just can't stand to let the dye get wasted.

The intersting thing is that I have about 4 balls that I would call black if I look at them one at a time. But sit them all next to each other and suddenly they're black, purple, green, and blue. I think each one of those was made with a dye bath that was that particular colour with a good bit of black added in it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 06:38:29 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
kaytm
« Reply #781 on: November 02, 2006 08:09:36 PM »

Here is a scanned pic of my golf sock.  Knit up with my kool-aid dyed yarn.  This was my first shot with kool-aid and i loved it.  My neice has always wanted to help me dye things, and with the kool-aid being non-toxic i think we have found our project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 03, 2006 06:19:01 AM »

WOW kaytm! That is gorgeous! (applause)

Someone commented a while back about blue not absorbing as quickly, and I just remembered noticing when I dyed the mauve yarn I just did (the mix of black cherry and berry blue) I checked it at 1 point and the water was still pale blue. Made me scratch my head at the time, but now it makes sense, if that is not an unusual thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
apixiegrl
« Reply #783 on: November 03, 2006 10:37:15 AM »

kaytm your sock is pretty pretty.. I luv your colors..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retro_glam_knit_diva

Analog girl in a Digital World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: November 03, 2006 06:07:42 PM »

I'm in love with this sock. I just bought a ton of sock weight wool to dye but I haven't quite figured out how to make it variagated in a way that makes it look pretty not insane.
Here is a scanned pic of my golf sock.  Knit up with my kool-aid dyed yarn.  This was my first shot with kool-aid and i loved it.  My neice has always wanted to help me dye things, and with the kool-aid being non-toxic i think we have found our project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://diyinspired.wordpress.com - blog
http://www.VibrantKnits.etsy.com - shop
flashy, classy and sometimes trashy designs
Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: November 04, 2006 08:36:42 AM »

Ok, so not the finest pics in the world... but here's some self-striping yarn I dyed with Kool Aid in the process of becoming a Jaywalker sock. It still has a few bald patches colourwise but I am getting better at the technique!

I experimented with using a few dashes of Tamarind flavour to darken up the green and orange, which worked pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
apixiegrl
« Reply #786 on: November 04, 2006 08:54:05 AM »

wow Keletubbie.. your a sock-a-holic..!!! I luv how the stripes worked out in your yarn and all the socks u knit are awesome..(I peeked at your blog..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaytm
« Reply #787 on: November 04, 2006 10:07:15 AM »

Ok, so not the finest pics in the world... but here's some self-striping yarn I dyed with Kool Aid in the process of becoming a Jaywalker sock. It still has a few bald patches colourwise but I am getting better at the technique!

I experimented with using a few dashes of Tamarind flavour to darken up the green and orange, which worked pretty well.

do you have any pointers on dying the self striping???    Your yarn is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knit This

Where there is yarn, there is ideas

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 04, 2006 08:29:00 PM »

Awsome, does the kool-aid bleed out when you hand wash it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNIT THIS
crnaofca
« Reply #789 on: November 05, 2006 12:40:29 AM »

that jaywalkers are great!

and here is tutorial for dyeing self-stripping yarn:
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/techniques_selfstriping_yarn.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Lost Vincent Van Gogh Painting Discovered In Safe Deposit Box
Art of VIBE: Street Artist Ders Adds Color To Shoreditch
Art of VIBE: Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada Scales Down For London Wall
Art of VIBE: Chor Boogie & His Street Romantic Voodoo Modern Hieroglyphics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...