A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 164449 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004 03:29:43 PM »

What an awesome possom idea! Now I can turn my putrid yellow yarn into beautiful tie-dye yarn! And it will cost under fifty cents!Thanks!
[/color][/glow][/shadow] Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004 04:55:51 AM »

does anyone know of a substitute for kool-aid that's available in the uk? i'm thinking liquid squash might work, especiallly if its blackcurrant cos it always stained clothes, but has anyone tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Lovehandcrafts

Dream on Dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004 08:25:50 AM »

I can help! Like you, I live in the UK, and although I've dyed with kool aid I was also looking for an alternative  Undecided
 I bought some Supercook food colouring, added about 1/3 to some warm water and added 1 capful of white vineger. It worked a treat as you can see...the instructions are the same as for koolaid ! You can even combine colours  Cool
Have fun! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004 06:01:38 AM »

oh thankyou, that looks pretty, all i could think of was making up little amounts of dylon dye or using silk paint. guess food colouring was pretty obvious. now i can dye my huge (football sized) ball of thick soft white yarn and make a sweater... xcept that im probably gonna get fibres everywhere because this yarn jsut seems to shred everywhere... no idea what it is but i think it might have come from shetland via my aunt (i found it in a drawer in my house) anyways thankyou for your help... any ideas whether food colouring would work on cotton?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
postcardbox
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004 08:41:45 PM »

I tried the Kool aid dyeing this morning at noon following the Stitch N Bitch dyeing directions, and my yarns still a bit cold and damp (it's 11:30 now). How long does it usually take to dry? I'm so freakin impatient >_<
Mine came out sort of bad. The colors are GREAT, but I guess I didn't make enough mix and it came out with quite a bit of white spaces.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh curds! No whey!!
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004 11:25:10 PM »

I just did that, too (using the Stitch N Bitch instructions).  I used cherry, lime, orange, and blueberry.  I'm thinking that next time I'm gonna use more coordinating colors, cause the colors kind of ran all to the ends and mixed together.  It's quite watercolor-y.  And my bathroom smells real good!

Grin
~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
kmj44

Punk Rock Knitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004 06:38:14 PM »

I just finished dyeing yarn for a project using Wilton's icing dyes.  They come in a lot of colors and these can be picked up in the cake decorating isle of Michael's for less than $2 a jar.  You only need a little bit for a lot of color.  I dipped the handle of a spoon in the jar (it's a gel-like substance) and that is all it took.  Thye come out in really vibrant colors since it is so concentrated.  I used it with the directions from Stitch n Bitch and made sure that I used vinegar with it.  Plus, I am sure that they ahve icing/cake dye in other countries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004 06:15:55 PM »

i tend to find that wiltons cake dyes work better than ka (koolaid), and there are more colors, easier to blend, etc etc.  you set it the same (with a glug of white vinegar) and everything. knitty.com also has directions for dyeing yarns, and i also suggest crockpot dyeing.   

if you look on my blog (http://midnightsky1686.blogspot.com/)- you may have to go to the archives which are on the right if you scroll down, you can see a bunch of different yarns that ive dyed (and spun) using ka and wiltons.

you cant beat the uniqueness of dyeing it urself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Angelzen

I'm a llama? Nifty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004 08:01:35 PM »

I'm sort of new to this Kool Aid dyeing stuff, and I've got a couple of questions.  I've done two dyeing projects; the first was a skein of Paton's Classic Merino, and the second was a skein of Lion Brand Fishermans Wool.  It seems to me that the Fishermans Wool didn't take the color as well as the merino did.  I was thinking that it could have something to do with the lanolin in the wool, maybe?   Huh  It turned out so much lighter and less of an even color than I expected based on my first experience. 

Also, is it just my imagination or does dyeing the yarn with Kool Aid seem to make it softer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004 01:40:17 AM »

the wool may apear softer bc youve washed it, and the vinegar might also contribute to the wool feleiogn sof 9something with the pH?)

all wools dye diff, even within the same breed of sheep.  merino does take color much better in my experience than some other wools. also if its a diff amount of ounces, the thickness (wpi) is diff, a diff ph, heating it longer or shorter, temp etc can all effect for the color comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot a Model Portfolio
lighting technique - Dean Collins
Lighting Techniques for Beauty Shots
Headshot Lighting Techniques
Lighting Techniques Using 1 large light source.
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...