A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Dalek!  (Read 1470 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lava

Ooohh...crafty....

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013 07:39:34 PM »

So I kept hearing about this Doctor Who....and a few months ago decided to check out an episode.  Well you know how that goes.  Days later I crawl out of my bedroom, red eyed, caffeinated, emotionally torn to shreds and having watched all the new episodes, all the old episodes, all of Torchwood and even all of Sherlock that I can stream from Amazon or Netflix.  Needless to say I'm hooked.  
 Well, I have this cool robot, from the late 80's called Emiglio.  It's neat, runs around remote control and you can use radio control to make it talk in weird voices.  But it's not a Dalek.  I need a Dalek.  What's a Whovian crafter to do?
Make Dalek of course!

He's not quite finished, still need another coat or two of paint but there it is!  My Dalek!

And here are some progress shots!

It all began with foam board, and plastic balls from the dollar store.  And flat rate boxes, random pen parts, chopsticks, and a weird wire head massager.  

Emiglio is ready to become a Dalek!

Fit test

Before paint!  I love the eye stalk and eye sooo much. lol

My little Whovian!  She runs around saying EXTERMINATE  all the time. Like a Dalek says it too lol.

Size reference, she's 39 inches tall.

Dalek love!  Aww!

Oh and his head is made out of a dollar store chip bowl lol.  And almost forgot, this is my sonic screwdriver that I made from random pen parts and glue and painted with nail polish lol

Ya know...to keep the Dalek in line Wink
Ok!  That's it for now! I'll try to pop back by with some video of it in action once I get another coat or two of paint down.  Just was so excited to see it mostly finished as I've been working on it since just after the fourth of July.  I hope you like it at least half as much as I do!  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013 07:43:49 PM by lava » THIS ROCKS   Logged
silk81
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013 02:09:22 AM »

Great idea! I love it.

You should definitely watch the Sarah Jane Adventures, too. I know it's a kids' show but it's really fun and it does a great job conecting the old and the new series.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013 05:44:22 AM »

This is great!  Cheesy I love how you turned every day objects into something a little less than ordinary  Smiley And your little Whovian is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013 06:42:49 AM »

OH LOVE IT!!!

You did such an imaginative makeover!  Love how you used a chip bowl for the head and those plastic balls! ha ha

Wonderful...I know I see Dr. Who all around me now...yeah, very addictive! Your house must be such a fun place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013 07:27:41 AM »

Everybody needs their own dalek!  Wait... maybe this is how they're going to take over the world.  How very clever of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013 08:18:12 AM »

Awww, he's so cute! Brilliant use of plastic balls and a chip bowl.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013 08:19:07 AM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lava

Ooohh...crafty....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013 09:26:57 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Using cheap stuff helps make crafting well...cheap lol.  I still have to paint more, I was just so excited to share because once the head was on, I really felt like, yes.  It's a Dalek!   My sister has inflatable daleks and an inflatable TARDIS, so I was thinking mine could push hers around now lol. 
The Sarah Jane adventures are on my list to watch next!   Have to get some more money on Amazon before I go buying new episodes lol.  Thanks for looking everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milkeway
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013 12:45:08 PM »

Love this oh so much!! Seriously, you have no idea how happy this makes me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TM Patch Swap - Crafting!!
Game of Thrones Swap - Plotting Cheesy

My Pinterest
chase_acow
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013 06:45:42 PM »

You are too clever and resourceful! There is no part of this that isn't awesome.  :  )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a geek, and I dispatch for a bunch of geek cops. I like writing, playing video games, and making messes while attempting to craft.

I'm still new here, so please tell me if I go wrong somewhere. I'm always up for some gentle correction.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Burger Bar Tips and Quick Recipes
Don’t Tell Mama: Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Family BBQ Recipes
Little Big Mac Recipe
Hot Wings and Turkey Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...