A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CRAZY picky veggie daughter  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jakabird
« on: August 18, 2013 07:59:29 PM »

Hello everyone! I was hoping that this group of veggies might be able to help a mother out  Grin My daughter is almost 10, vegetarian, and Very picky! She loves fruits/veggies, and pasta, and pizza...and that's about it. I'm not sure how to ease her into new foods, but I need her to branch out. I don't like cooking her the same things every night, and I don't want her to shut down to new foods forever  Undecided She also has odd texture/smell issues, sometimes to the point of freaking out/melting down (though this has gotten a bit better with lots of work). I know it may seem that I'm asking the impossible, but if any one has some ideas, I would love to hear them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013 10:20:17 AM »

I have read that a good way to get kids to try new vegetables or fruits is to let them pick them out at the store and then help prepare them.  If they are involved with cooking the food themselves, they are more open to eating it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Jakabird
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013 05:08:02 PM »

Mary, I agree wholeheartedly! When my girls pick things out, they're Excited to try them...I Love that! She is pretty good about raw/plain fruits and veggies, it's actual Entrees that I'm having trouble with  Sad she Loves making a wide variety of recipes...for other people.

Hopefully it's just a phase; I've never been that mom that forces kids to eat. I think when they trust their bodies, they get what they need (so long as they have healthy food to choose from). I just wish she would expand her habits a Bit, she's missing out on so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013 10:54:50 AM »

Don't sweat it too much.  She will get past this.  It is all about control.  She feels like this is something that she can control in her life.  When you are a kid, everywhere you turn there is an adult telling you what to do, where to go. etc.  Everything will balance out in the end.  If you worry about her getting enough vitamins and minerals, just make sure she takes a multi-vitamin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
donniesgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013 04:12:08 PM »

You might check out the Weelicious site. She has great suggestions for getting kids to try new things.

I would also talk to her pediatrician. I was a picky vegetarian for a bit as a teenager and ended up with some vitamin deficiencies. Ones with uncomfortable symptoms - not just my doctor telling me I needed to supplement because of a number on a chart.  Anyway, since your daughter is still growing, I would definitely have a chat with her doctor.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013 04:15:33 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013 07:36:16 AM »

So, I just checked out Weelicious, and it is amazing! Where has it been all my life.

My picky kiddo won't even know what's coming!

lol....hopefully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013 05:11:13 PM »

Oh good! My 3yo is a picky eater and always cycling through what he will and won't eat so Weelicious has been helpful. For a while, it was anything in mini muffin form. Then it was anything in popsicle form. Now it's nothing green lol. Picky little booger...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013 05:37:08 AM »

I had a client I cooked for whose kids were "picky". I let them cook with me sometimes which eliminated some of that, and the one who refused to eat chicken ate chicken when I didn't tell her there was chicken in the dish. One time she gobbled up a phyllo-wrapped chicken thing and was digging into another, then mid-bite when I told her she just ate chicken and liked it, and that the one she was biting had chicken in it, too, she threw it down and refused to eat the rest of it. I wasn't in charge of discipline, so Mom gave her a cookie after dinner anyway.

The biggest issue in that house was that the father was super picky and showed it to his kids, who knew they could get away with the same behavior. Men are bigger babies than kids a lot of the time. So make sure no adults are modeling bad behavior, and meltdowns should be punished with no meal at all and early bedtime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Hair
How to Scrunch Straight Hair
How to Twist Short Hair
How to Prom Hairstyles
How to Straighten Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...