A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice on how to finish this rug?  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vertyshka
Spinner

You spin me right round

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2013 08:52:25 AM »

I made a living room rug to sit under my coffee table and I'm not sure how to finish it. I made up the pattern as I went, knitting three strands together, using up all my scraps of blue to give it a sort of gradient look.

(Excuse the crafting/cleaning/redecorating mess...)

It's clearly too short, but I've basically run out of blue and am close to running out of white. (With what I have left, I could probably add...three inches to the end?

So here are my questions - how much longer do you think I should make it? Considering that I don't want to spend more money on yarn for it and use up the stuff I have, could I make a wide border around the entire thing in a different color? I have tons of off white, lots of teal, and then a couple balls each of green, brown, and purple. (And this funky grey texture that could probably give me two rows around the whole thing.

To give you an idea of the color palette I'm working with, I'm currently redecorating, planning on adding curtains with some yellow in them, and keeping the furniture black and brown, with some new accent pillows.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013 09:24:39 AM by Vertyshka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't do something smart, do something right

-- jayne

http://thecompletistblog.wordpress.com/
A blog where I DIY and talk about television.
xyphir
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013 02:47:44 PM »

I would keep away from fringes 'coz they are a pain to put back in place after vacuuming. I have a heap of borders linked to on pinterest, just wrote in borders. The consideration is whether you want to have a lacy border or something with more of a fringe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vertyshka
Spinner

You spin me right round

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013 06:10:53 PM »

I wasn't thinking of doing a fringe, but the lacy border idea is good! I'd use less yarn and get more yardage.

My initial thought was to have a solid border of like four inches on each side, but it might make more sense to do something lacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't do something smart, do something right

-- jayne

http://thecompletistblog.wordpress.com/
A blog where I DIY and talk about television.
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013 11:00:27 AM »

That is a really nice rug. I like the colors and I like the random stripes.

About the yarn colors, I vote for the white; it may just be my monitor - or my eyes - but I don't think any of the other colors go with the blue and white of the rug. And I would use it to make the rug longer; honestly, I don't think it needs a border. That's the nice thing about crochet; the edges are so neat that they don't really need anything more. If you really want a border I would say, stay with something simple, like a sc (dc if you're using UK terms) or hdc (htr in UK terms) or maybe just a blanket stitch; that last would use the least amount of yarn. I'm not sure that lace would wear well, plus it might get caught in people's feet (or claws, if you have pets).

This is just MHO Smiley but I hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
Rienei
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013 08:30:41 PM »

The rug has really nice colours but its a pity you ran out of yarn. I would definitely suggest getting more yarn as the current size of the rug is just too awkward. =x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow me @ instagram : Hsyami
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Amazing Slide Design Inside a Home
ADGreenroom2013_Timelapse-LowRes.Mp4
Madeline Stuart Interview, Architectural Digest Greenroom at 2013 Oscars
ADGreenroom2013_EPK-LowRes.Mp4
Madeline Stuart Interview, Architectural Design Greenroom at 2013 Oscars
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...