A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spray paint question  (Read 701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftinghijabi
« on: February 03, 2013 08:06:32 PM »

Hi!! I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a wooden high chair I'm spray painting with a gloss color. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to sand between each coat? Will it be fine if I don't?

2. Is there a way to fix it if a small speck of something or a tiny bug gets on the wet spray paint, or if I make a tiny smudge? How do you keep from stuff sticking to your work if you are spraying outside??

3. I originally chose a yellow gloss. I did just the tray today (sand, prime, paint). I don't like the yellow and want to do red, what I originally wanted. Can I just sand the yellow and spray over it?

Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paisleyhansen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013 02:46:16 PM »

Hi!! I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a wooden high chair I'm spray painting with a gloss color. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to sand between each coat? Will it be fine if I don't?

2. Is there a way to fix it if a small speck of something or a tiny bug gets on the wet spray paint, or if I make a tiny smudge? How do you keep from stuff sticking to your work if you are spraying outside??

3. I originally chose a yellow gloss. I did just the tray today (sand, prime, paint). I don't like the yellow and want to do red, what I originally wanted. Can I just sand the yellow and spray over it?

Thanks so much!!

I spray painted a crib last summer. I only did one sand to begin with. And then I just coated it with paint, then did a gloss finish. I think you'd be just fine to paint over the yellow! As for the getting stuff on it while outside, I can't help you there, a dandelion blew right on it and I had to sand that part and start over! Good luck, post pics when it's complete! Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013 03:08:10 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a freelance writer/blogger who loves to write about all things heath/beauty/fashion. When I'm not writing I can usually be found reading a good book Smiley
Marienka
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013 02:45:28 PM »

I am an avid spray painter. I spray paint EVERYTHING! I only do this because I have found THE best spray paint.

I only use Krylon Paint+Primer. Its the one with the twisty cap. It works on everything. I had enormous suitcase that was a bright yucky orange and lime green. I bought three cans thinking that I would need to go back for more. With one can I spray painted the entire huge suitcase, my surround sound speakers and three embroidery hoops.

I would only recommend that spray paint. It would cover over your yellow no problem.

I don't usually sand unless it is a high gloss orginally underneath. I never sand between coats. High gloss really doesn't hold paint well. I REALLY hate sanding so what I do is use this product called Klean-Strip Degloss and Sander. It costs $7 and goes really far. It goes on like Modge Podge. That is out of sheer laziness though.

If I get something in it when I am painting. I use a small foam brush to pull it out. I brush the paint as even as I can (sometimes it comes off) and then spray over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for U.S.A swap partners!
robylwood
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013 01:25:23 PM »

I spray paint chairs before I do the detail acrylic painting on them.  I do use a high gloss which I love but hate when it puddles.  I will have to sand if I get heavy handed with the spray paint and get a puddle or drip.   If I don't like the color, I just go over it with another but I do agree with the primer all in one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013 12:11:08 AM »

Ah bugs!!!
I solved this problem! I went to walmart and bought a big ole rubbermaid tub. I spray paint my project then drop the tub over the top. I drilled holes in it, so theres airflow. It may take a bit longer to dry but theres never a bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Three Beauty Tips For Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick For Slimming Your Face With Make-Up, from Katia Beauchamp
Beauty Essentials For Men, from Katia Beauchamp
A Quick Remedy For Hair Static, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...