A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion Thread for Nerd Battles  (Read 67960 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roler
« Reply #1190 on: September 14, 2014 02:14:05 AM »

vincenvanbuck - Those are the first books I ever picked up in Japanese!!  It was fun to see how things like "muggle" were translated. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014 02:35:30 AM by roler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for personal swaps!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1191 on: September 14, 2014 06:42:47 AM »

roler, I think we are related! Grin Currently my dining room (which is where the freezer will go for now) is the repository for my laundry because I am in the process of emptying the bedroom so it can be painted, and the bedroom was the landing spot for all of the stuff from three other rooms while they were being painted. The other landing spot is the living room, so you're right, it's definitely a motivator! Today, in the dining room, I'm filling 3 bins (sweaters, sheets/blankets, summer clothes). Then, I'm going to get all of the yarn out of the living room and break down cardboard boxes for recycling. And pickle some beets and make a casserole. And do laundry. I've already started on the beets and laundry! Now, I have to go and get the empty bins (which are upstairs in the hallway). Baby steps! I just have to take 10,000 of them this week Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1192 on: September 14, 2014 08:20:52 AM »

Very cool, roler!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roler
« Reply #1193 on: September 15, 2014 03:56:41 PM »

Thanks, Ludi!

Hey fellow Nerds, this is not for a prompt in the Nerd Battles specifically, but I figure this bunch of people may be some of the best to help me with a nerdy problem I'm having.  (Is it OK to ask for inspiration help and advice in this thread?  If not, feel free to ignore this!)

I got these awesome plastic Tetris pieces in an old game at a garage sale recently, a dollar for a big ol' set of them, determined to make some nerdy crafts out of them (quarter for size comparison):

But now I'm finding myself stumped as to what exactly to do with them!  My first thought was pendants, but as you can see they don't have a flat back for attaching a bail (the fronts and backs look exactly the same), and I don't have any tools capable of drilling a hole in them (not actually even sure what would do that).  I was thinking of various ways to decorate/embellish them too, but I don't want to hide the texture too much (with the individual square outlines), because then they wouldn't need to have been Tetris pieces in the first place; I could have used any old thing to begin with. 

Any ideas of how to keep them recognizable as Tetris pieces, but still make them into cool pendants?  How about other crafts, since I've got lots of these guys?  Any ideas at all would be super welcome!! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1194 on: September 15, 2014 04:16:46 PM »

Excellent nerdy yard sale find! Can you fill in one or two of the squares in the back with resin so you have something to attach the bail to? Or, can you take a really hot pin or small nail and sort of drill it through the back "lip" and attach a jump ring (or stick a head pin through it and make a loop)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #1195 on: September 15, 2014 06:30:57 PM »

Absolutely jealous over those Tetris pieces.  Great find!

Perhaps you could mount them on something that could have a bail attached? Small piece of wood or something?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014 06:32:20 PM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roler
« Reply #1196 on: Today at 04:20:36 PM »

Thanks for the ideas!  Yeah, I think I'll try sticking something to the back to stick a bail to; I'm actually not where when I'll get to it but I'll try to post the results here when I work something out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Ben 10 Alien Force Spidermonkey
How to Draw Natsu Dragneel
How to Draw Mashiro
How to Draw Maruga
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...