A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 30919 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2013 09:00:47 PM »

Battle/Challenge: October - Archetype
Team: Multimedia
Project Name:
"The Adventure Begins"
Brief Description: I made this card as part of a personal swap for ATCs based on the video game "Ni no Kuni".  It features the boy protagonist Oliver, and his animated doll-sidekick Mr. Drippy.  Oliver actually embodies a number of the archetypes: The Innocent (he has a special kind of Pure Heart), The Hero (he is the protagonist after all), The Explorer (he journeys through a different world that is not his own), and The Magician (he is a budding Wizard in training).  But I chose to have him represent The Orphan/Regular Guy, as the death of his mother is a crucial plot point in the story, and he is sort of an "Alex in Wonderland" character, exploring a new world that is mysterious and strange to him.
Project Picture:

The card was drawn with a brush tip ink marker and colored with watercolor pencils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • June Ongoing ATC Swap
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
bunny1kenobi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2013 05:49:39 AM »

ooooOOh... watercolor pencils!  Gotta get me some of those!  Great card!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2013 07:41:24 PM »

Battle/Challenge: November - Myths
Project Name:
"Away In a Manger" Needle-Felted ATC Ornament
Brief Description: Somehow "myth" connotes "fictitious" in my mind, which is not necessarily my intent here.  But based on the definition of "myth" given in the prompt, I would say that the Nativity Story is one of the most widely celebrated and represented myths still told today.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: November - Newbies & Noobs
Project Name:
"Christmas on the Farm" ATC Ornament
Brief Description: Playing for Team Newbie today, I present my first attempt at using waste canvas.  It was more challenging than I anticipated, and so my stitch work was not as neat as I would've liked.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013 07:44:33 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • June Ongoing ATC Swap

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2013 08:31:05 AM »

Ludi - Your piece for suereal is so awesome!  I really love it.  I am about to embark on my first project with toilet paper tubes (at least since I was a tot  Grin ) to make some fake crackers for Christmas!  I haven't decided what to put in them yet, though.  They will definitely not be as cool as your use, though.  Cheesy

Calabaza - Love those mitts!  They are super cute, and the fur trim is just perfect!  Your haunted house cut is also super cool!

craftADDchick - Great treat bag!  Those jars of sauce are beautiful!  And what an awesome glassblowing project!  I love the colors!  I've always wanted to try glass blowing, but I haven't been able to find a great place around here where you actually get to participate (kind of like you mentioned in your post).

BadWolf314 - Love those bow ties!  Grin  That's a clever idea for the life counter! And your grumpy cat is adorable.  Nice job with the embroidery!

bunny1kenobi - That sign is so funny!  It turned out great...love the "blood" splatters!  Your card box also looks awesome!  I actually had to look up hand and foot.  I'm pretty sure I've heard of it before, but I've never played!

Inselaeffchen - I love the little coffee cup on your mug rug!  And you can't go wrong with a Who craft in my book.  Cheesy  I like your buntings, too!  Just in the knick of time, but they look great!  Wink

vincentvanbuck - I like your ATC!  I have a pack of brush markers I haven't really gotten a chance to use yet...I like the idea of combining them with the watercolor pencils!  Your ATC ornaments are also such a cute idea!  I think your stitching looks great...much neater than mine would be without the holes on the aida cloth, that's for sure!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2013 04:29:47 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  September - Monster Madness
Team:  Randomizer
Bonus Points: N/A
Project Name:  Nest necklace
Brief Description:  I made this necklace as a gift.  It may just look like a bird's nest, but I chose the beads because they reminded me of dragon eggs.  You can't see it much in the photo, but they are kind of iridescent and have a bit of a marbled effect.  I chose dragons as my monster because dragons are cool.

Project Picture:

___________________ ___________________

Battle/Challenge:  October - Different Angle
Project Name:  Pot holders
Brief Description:  I was at my grandma's recently and she pulled out some old craft loop pot holders I made to set under a dish.  I laughed and she said, "I love those things."  I thought I would update her supply, since I still had a bag of craft loops and a loom in my stash.  They all have lots of 90 degree angles where the loops overlap.

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  November - Welcome Our New Overlords
Project Name:  Washi sampler
Brief Description:  Two things happened recently.  I bought a bunch of washi tape at the dollar store, and my mom asked me if I had any washi tape because she needed some for a project.  I decided to make her a little sampler of the ones I had just purchased.  I cut out the plastic spools on my Silhouette, only my blade was dull, so I ended up re-cutting all of them by hand.  I think if the overlords came, I would want to shower them with craft supplies and hope they understood aesthetics.

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  November - The Scientific Method
Bonus Points:  Lab report (10 pts), Engineering (10 pts)
Project Name:  Mini pies
Project Page Link (if available):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=429360.0
Brief Description:  I made some Nutella and banana mini pies for Thanksgiving.
Lab report
Question:  What would be a delicious, adorable dessert for Thanksgiving?
Hypothesis:  Pies that contain banana, Nutella, whipped cream and graham crackers would be tasty, and miniaturizing them would make them cute.
Experiment:  I combined pre-made pie crusts with Nutella, banana slices, fresh whipped cream, and graham crackers, as described in the link above.  I tested different banana ripeness levels, and graham cracker crumble sizes.
Data collection:  Taste testers were amassed to eat the mini pies and comment on their deliciousness and cuteness.
Analysis:  All taste testers reported a pleasurable flavor and visual experience related to the consumption of the mini pies.
Conclusion:  My hypothesis stands. 

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  November - British Invasion
Project Name:  Dalek card
Brief Description:  I love many things British, but mostly their media.  Of course, Doctor Who is the top of the list, in close competition with anything Mitchell & Webb.  I was going to make a Peep Show craft, but that will have to wait for another challenge, as the Daleks called to me and demanded glitter before my extermination.  (Coincidentally, Mitchell & Webb voiced the robots on "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship."  Grin )  Those are chipboard letters, and they actually line up and are much more evenly spaced than they look in the photo.  The glitter also covers the entire card, but I couldn't get it all to sparkle at the same time in any photos.

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  Novmeber UFO
Bonus Points: UFO bonus (red)
Project Name:  Santa hat tag
Brief Description:  I got this fabric from my mom along time ago with the intention to make Santa hats or something Christmas related.  I finally worked out a prototype for reusable gift tags.  I sewed on a piece of clear vinyl, and hot glued the trim and pom on top.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make more, but this one will probably go with my brother's gift this year.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2013 04:51:21 PM »

Welcome Our New Overlords

Har, har...a small speck of double tape...and you have a mini wreath happening! LovelyMiss. Quite beautiful!

Idea...to hang it on the tree? Then pull apart to use and such for next year... Grin

And I love doing those potholders. They are fun to weave. {And I even have a neat clown trick I do with the strands.} If you can't find the "strings", you can use pantyhose style tights. Just cut 1" strips across the legs, then stretch. That is all they are mostly anyway. And 'runs' in them don't matter, so use up your old ones. My clown trick is different, but if you wish to know that one PM me  Grin

And OMG...we are over doing it with school. I just reviewed....you poor kids. Settle down with school. Relax. Enjoy life! I am all for learning, but don't take it crazy. Take a breath. There. Do you feel better? Whew.

~T
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013 05:02:50 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2013 07:46:02 PM »

Final submission!

Battle/Challenge: September - Starfleet Uniform
Project Name:
Home Sweet Home hoopla
Brief Description: Made this hoop for a recent swap partner.  (She hasn't received yet, so I am posting a link to the picture instead.)  As you will see, it is made up of two colors: red, and a lovely tie-dye shade of blue that I got from a fat quarter, both of which are classic Starfleet uniform colors.
(Link to) Project Picture: http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t556/vincentvanbuck/Jessihoopla.jpg (the picture is partial so as not to reveal extra personal info about my partner).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • June Ongoing ATC Swap

Smeddley

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2013 11:14:50 PM »

I hope I'm not too late with my last batch...

Battle/Challenge: September Conventions
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: None
Project Name: Skirt Bags
Brief Description: Bags are something so incredibly useful, and often given out at conventions.  I'd love it if bellydance conventions gave out skirt bags, because when you hang most 25 yard skirts the hem will become uneven, because the top is usually a circle, so... bias cut fabric... stretching...  D:  I made 9 bags for skirts I have, most made out of matching fabric (for the skirts I made) or coordinating fabric (for the skirts I bought.  Sorry it's not the best picture, it's dark in my skirt stacking/dumping corner!
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October - Bottoms Up!
Project Name: Mug Cozy
Brief Description: In the end, tea really is one of my favorite drinks (yes, okay, sometimes with brandy...).  So what's more fitting than a mug cozy?
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Archetype
Project Name: Explorer
Brief Description: A painting done for Lifebook, with a quote a friend once sent me... it's apropos on one hand since my dad lives on his sailboat (currently in Fiji) and so not me on the other, since I get severely motion sick...
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Let's Celebrate
Project Name: Button Day Button Hoop!
Brief Description: Made this for a friend's birthday - saw the idea floating around on Pinterest.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: November Overlords
Project Name: Dragons! (zill case... yes, another one...)
Brief Description: Dragons are making a comeback, and I'm pretty sure they're scheming to take over the place...
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: November Myths
Project Name: Release... the QUACKEN!
Brief Description: Kracken, Quacken... who can keep them straight?
Project page: HERE
Project Picture:

I think that's all I can squeeze into the descriptions!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eiseldora
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2013 11:36:43 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September Sighting
Project Name: Green Hat
Brief Description: This is a Green hat started by a teen and I finished it for them.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: November Battle
Project Name: Jayne's Hat
Project Page: On Ravelry
Brief Description: I made a hat just like the Hero of Caton
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: November Scientific Method
Project Name: Yeast
Brief Description: Recently I learned how to make Natural Yeast. For this Thanksgiving I decied to do an experiment. I made two batches of bread. One with Natural Yeast. One with storebought regular yeast.
Hypothosis: Natural Yeast bread will taste the same or better than the store bought yeast without activation.

The Natural Yeast takes longer to rise than the regular, but after 24 hours I was able to make the natural yeast bread, and it tasted better than bread made with store bought yeast.
Project Picture:
After 2 hours

After 19 hours

Control

Battle/Challeng: British Invasion
Project Name: Doctor Who
Brief Description: For the One Small Doctor Who Swap I stenciled a shirt for my partner and made her a set of buttons.
Project Picture

Battle/Challenge: Newbies & Noobs
Project Name: Embroidery
Brief Description: I decided to learn how to do embroidery for this challenge. I took two classes. One was on long arm cross stitch. The other was on Loop Stitch. Here are the samples I made from the classes.
Project Picture

Battle/Challenge: October Sighting
Project Name: 15th Century Dress
Brief Description: I had a dress that didn't quite fit right, so I cut the side seams and added some extra fabric on the sides so it fits better.
Project Picture

Research Project Name: Knit Socks
Project Page Link On Ravelry
Brief Description: With the help of someone who knits and 2 books I was able to learn how to knit socks.
I created a tube sock, a cuff down sock, and two toe up socks.
Project Picture:
Green

White

Battle/Challenge: November Myths
Project Name: Susuwatari
Brief Description: In Japan there is a magical creature that exists in myth. These wandering soot creatures are kind spirits who loves to bring joy and happiness to innocents The great animator Hayao Miyazaki captured one of these creatures in many of his films.
Project Picture

Battle/Challenge: November Overlords
Project Name: V
Brief Description: These are to represent the Visitors that came to the Earth in the TV series V. These aliens looked human, but underneath they were reptiles
Project Picture

Battle/Challenge: November Sighting
Project Name: Ketchup
Brief Description: I've been wanting to learn to can for a while. I decided to try my hand at making my own Ketchup.
Project Picture
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013 12:17:20 AM by Eiseldora » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2013 09:38:51 AM »

I don't see an official closed sign so I hope I can sneak these projects in. I got home way later from a cousins' baby shower than I thought I would! I solemn swear I made them last month.

Battle/Challenge: November British Invasion
Team: Randomizer
Bonus Points: -
Project Name: Keyword necklace
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=429372
Brief Description: For my partner in my 1st Doctor Who swap I took keywords from one of her favorite quotes ("I’m going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers, and a fez" -theDoctor), stamped them on dimes pounded smoothish and ringed them on 3 chains turned into 1 necklace.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September Monsters
Project Name: Character necklace
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=429372
Brief Description: after making the above project, I got a request for one about Strax (the "potato monster" from Doctor Who Smiley ) but not using any 1 quote.
Project Picture:

The picture didn't turn out too well, sorry. The words are Holmes, grenade, boy, ha and Strax.

ETA: More projects, since I guess we can for a little while more  Smiley

Battle/Challenge: November Scientific Method
Project Name: food marker "decorated" cookies
Project Page Link (if available): the recipe for the cookies themselves is here
Brief Description:
Q: Will food markers make the cookie decorating process easier?
H: Heck, yeah! What could go wrong?
E: Make and ice cookies as usual then write Who-ish things on them with the markers before serving on Nov. 23.
A: Okay, that could go wrong. Green stops writing after 1 letter, red bleeds all over, yellow, blue and black work intermittently.
D: Writing takes less time than when done with icing but markers are unreliable and, well, icky to work with. Although the back of the box didn't say so, perhaps the product would be better utilized on royal icing. Cookies were tasty nevertheless.
Project Picture:

Silence cookie that made it home to be photographed and was subsequently devoured.

Battle/Challenge: September Starfleet
Project Name:
Project Page Link (if available): -
Brief Description: Please see picture. This project is a secret for now. No peeking, Sticker!
Project Picture:
Here, and the ones after it Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013 01:20:55 PM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Garret Kramer Talks About Stillpower
Sherry Jones on Her Novel Four Sisters, All Queens
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...