A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 33985 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2013 04:53:21 PM »

I can finally post my first project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battle/Challenge: October - Let's Celebrate
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: End of the Trail necklace
Project Page Link: End of the Trail necklace
Brief Description: I chose to submit this under the Let's Celebrate challenge because as I found out, the fourth Friday of every September is Native American Day.  I've grown even more in love with their culture ever since I moved to Arizona (even though I hate it here).  one of my favorite pieces of art is the sculpture "End of the Trail" by James Earle Fraser.  I was so excited when I found this pendant and I just HAD to make a special necklace for it.  I used faceted silver beads and two [pricey] Sleeping Beauty turquoise beads to hang the pendant from.  if you would like to know more about "End of the Trail", click this link (or click the link in the main project post listed above).
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013 12:37:47 AM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2013 05:05:23 AM »

vincentvanbuck - Your mermaid is so awesome!  And your description made me laugh.  What a great "holiday" to choose!

Krafty_Karasu - Your necklace is beautiful!  I love the silver and turquoise beads.  My family used to have a few small bronze sculptures scattered throughout the house that I would look at for hours, amazed at all the little details.  I'm pretty sure The End of the Trail was one of them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013 05:07:40 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2013 05:40:49 AM »

Krafty_Karasu - Your necklace is beautiful!  I love the silver and turquoise beads.  My family used to have a few small bronze sculptures scattered throughout the house that I would look at for hours, amazed at all the little details.  I'm pretty sure The End of the Trail was one of them.

thank you!  Grin  that's so cool that you got to look at an actual sculpture of it.  all I have is what I find online and my necklace.  but at least I have that.  I could have nothing.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2013 06:50:27 AM »

Beautiful stuff here again, and I still haven't managed my update with comments (think I'll give up and will start again new on Friday with comments on anything from today onwards!).

Research update: Nothing done. The worst thing is, I had the time, I DID search for the fabric for the quillows but cannot find it! Must have put it somewhere "safe" 1.5 years ago when the grandparents bought it for us while in the US for vacation.

Therefore I'll have to review the Research for this time - think I'll have to look into a new subject, and hopefully pinkleo will be lenient with me and let me do the new Research Project

Wonder if the fabric has gone on a party with my gilding flakes, Pan Pastels and sewing needles?!??!?! If anybody sees them, please give me a shout! Shocked

Hoping that I find the fabric in time for the Winter Nerd Battles and can then put forward the Research Project again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2013 12:56:13 AM »

Battle/Challenge: October Sighting
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: blue
Project Name: turquoise and silver threader earrings
Brief Description: these are the threader earrings I had been planning to make FOREVER.  I had bought the supplies forever ago but I didn't get around to making them until a couple of weeks ago (I promise, I did them during the month of October).  the beads are, of course, Swarovski turquoise crystals.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2013 12:01:08 PM »

ooh, cool earrings, KK!  Where did you get the threaders?  My DD would probably love some threader earrings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2013 11:21:54 PM »

Battle/Challenge: October Battle Vampires
Team: Media
Bonus Points:
Project Name:Blood Colored Roving.
Brief Description: For this challenge It was tough to pick which side. Eventually I decided to vote for a twilight free vampire. Maybe more Vampire Diaries or Interview with a vampire. Vampires live on Blood. Its the only thing they can eat. Some are vegetarians and eat from blood bags or animals, but most drink the dripping goodness from necks.
This roving started out brown and I dyed it blood red.
It was gifted as part of the Yarnie Scavenger Hunt. (that was a great swap Cheesy)
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Angle
Team: Team Media
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Mobius Cowl
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: This Cowl is created in a Mbius strip. To create a Mobius strip you take an angle, rotate it through 360 degrees. Then take a second angle that is 1/2 your first. If you were to walk along the edge after a complete circle you'd end up on the other side but upside down.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Bottom's Up
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Koolaid Dyed Yarn
Brief Description:This is actually inspired by my husband's favorite drink: Jones Soda. It comes in such colorful combinations.

I used Koolaid food coloring to dye multiple batches of roving. This too was given in the Yarnies Scavenger Hunt.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October let us celebrate
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Teen Read Week Display (October 13-19th)
Brief Description:Teen Read Week is a big deal in my profession. Its a week were everyone has a huge push to get teens to read. Its also the week that teens all over the world get to vote in the Teen Top Ten. To celebrate I created a display with all of the books that were nominated for the Teen Top Ten.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Archetype
Bonus Points:
Project Name:Sage/Monk Hood
Brief Description: When you hear myths there is always a wise sage who helps guide the hero on his journey. Frequently this sage is a monk, or hooded wizard that bestows wisdom to the hero on his journey. I've created my own hood that I can wear and play the part of Sage in any story.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Twilight Zone
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Night Sky Dyed Roving
Brief Description: They say that there are hundreds of planets like Earth in the universe. I'd like to think that each and every one of them is possibly an alternative earth. Each of these out in the universe could be the location of the Twilight Zone.
Inspired by space and many of the things that we've captured with our satellites I dyed roving.

Project Picture:

Sorry about the cat posting before
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013 09:57:20 PM by Eiseldora - Reason: Cat posted, Fixing to what I actually meant to post. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2013 11:48:14 PM »

ooh, cool earrings, KK!  Where did you get the threaders?  My DD would probably love some threader earrings!

I believe it was Michael's.  it was quite a while ago, and I haven't gone looking for more, so...but they have lots for sale on Etsy if you can't find them there.  and thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanath
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2013 04:01:23 PM »

Wow, Eiseldora, what a flood of loveliness! I've added all your projects to the tracking list, but noticed you didn't give them descriptions. It might be just the hour (after midnight here), but can you please add a bit about how the projects fit the prompts? Most of them are pretty clear, but I can't figure out October Angle (I love the colors of that one, by the way).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2013 07:08:24 PM »

bunny1kenobi Adorable mug rugs and that necklace is awesomely creepy!
Calabaza Awesome smashed penny bracelet!!! The perfect nerd accessory. And those seat pockets are just the thing for any classroom!
Eiseldora Lovely projects! I love all the colors!
Ezri_B I now know what I will be doing the first weekend in April! Such an adorable werewolf! I just want to give him a big hug hes so cute!
fancybutch WAHOO!!! Welcome to Team Textbook!!! Clever idea to embroider a leaf, I would never have thought to do that.
gozer The ATC is awesome. It looks really nice. The messenger bag looks awesome! I havent read it yet but Graceling is on my to read shelf, Im looking forward to it!
Inselaeffchen I just have to say it again, I love the Doctor Who cookies!!!!
Krafty_Karasu Gorgeous earrings and necklace!!!
leather and lace Yay for Doctor Who things!!! The companions turned out perfect!!! And the wristlet and shirt are the perfect outfit for any whovian.
LovelyMiss That pincushion is adorable!!!! And the owl is so cute! I love the pattern of the bags and I cant believe you cut out all those coins! It definitely is the perfect card.
Ludi Oh wow! Those apples are impossibly tiny! Thats amazing!!! And your eyes always turn out really cool. Im thinking you should go for an eye wall. It would be quite the looker. (please, excuse my awful pun).
vincentvanbuck Awesome merbie!!! It just looks so creepily wonderful!

Battle/Challenge: October: Twilight Zone
Team:Textbook
Project Name: Dont Blink
Brief Description: I found an episode called The Call. Its about a lonely man who accidentally calls the wrong number and ends up talking to women. He continues to call her and finally suggests that they met up. Long story short the women ends up being a sculpture in an art gallery. The whole statues moving when people arent looking reminded me of a certain Doctor Who alien and I just had to put the iconic phrase on a shirt.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October: Archetype
Project Name: Pokemon Trainer
Brief Description: The Archetype I picked is the Explorer. The Explorer discovers who they are by exploring their world. So for Halloween I dressed up as a Pokemon trainer. I painted the hat, made the vest, arm cuffs and the bag. Now I can go exploring all over the Pokemon world.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October: Bottom's Up
Project Name: Apples are Rubbish
Brief Description: My favorite drink this time of year is hot Apple cider! So I made this Whovian inspired necklace of this rubbish fruit.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October: Let's Celebrate
Project Name: Pokemon Badges
Brief Description: September 12th is Programmers Day! And one of my favorite programs is the Pokemon games. Its quite an engineering feat to be able to have that much information in such as small space. I made these badges to honor the programmers hard work to make such an awesome and iconic game.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: Werewolves vs Vampires
Project Name: Phases of the Moon ATC
Brief Description: I chose to pay homage to the werewolf by making an ATC of the phases of the moon. It includes a dial to allow the moon to go through its phases.
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013 09:35:32 AM by BadWolf314 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Garters
What Is a Straight Line Corset
How to Narrow Your Waist Using a Corset
How to Tie a Corset
The Differences Between Cupless Lingerie and a Half-Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...