A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 32691 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2013 08:00:01 PM »

I'm going to jump in here a bit late with some September prompts.

I guess if I have to choose, I declare myself a member of Team Fandom!

Challenge: September Conventions
Team:Team Fandom
Bonus Points: none
Project Name:TARDIS wristlet
Project Page Link (if available):http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427222.50#axzz2h5sRkv3b (swap gallery)
Brief Description: Recently I participated in the ninth round of the Doctor Who swap. My partner had pinned a wristlet with two money/coupon pockets, three card pockets, a hinged change pocket, and ID slot on the outside on one side, and a zippered phone pocket on the other. It has a wrist strap, so you would be less likely to lose it at a Whovian convention! The seller also had the pattern for sale (here), so naturally I made a TARDIS out of it. It was a 36 page PDF and worked on a smaller scale then I'm used to, so the workmanship is a bit shoddy. It's functional though!
Project Picture:

Challenge: September Starfleet Uniform
Project Name:Fantastic T-shirt
Project Page Link (if available):http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427222.50#axzz2h5sRkv3b (swap gallery)
Brief Description: My partner's favorite doctor was Nine like me, and she liked stencilled shirts, so I made one using a sun-reactive dye called Inkodye by Lumi. It comes in red, orange, and blue, which I chose to use. It's a bit touch and go since any exposure to UV rays will start the process, but I thought it turned out with a nice vintage/distressed feel.
Project Picture:

Challenge: September Periodic Table
Project Name:Companion Figurines
Brief Description: We also made a small project for favorite companions, and I just couldn't choose, so I made all three of her favorites: Jack, Rose, and Donna. Because there are three, I chose the element Lithium, Greek for 'stone'--- sort of like these little people feel after baking. Because of its reactivity, lithium doesn't occur in nature in its raw form, but due to its solubility as an ion, lithium can be extracted from clays. I also painted each figurine with metallic paints, which goes with the metallic luster of the third element on the periodic table.
Project Picture:

P.S. To pinkleo and SenatorOrganza--- I noticed there was no listed Team Captain or Headquarters for Team Fandom (correct me if I'm wrong), so if you would like me to I could start something up. It's up to you, though Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013 08:14:47 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2013 06:51:14 AM »

Battle/Challenge: October Bottom's Up
Team:  Wordy
Bonus Points:
Project Name: First mug rugs
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I had never made mug rugs before and thought I'd give them a try.  Being as autumn is upon us, it's the perfect time for hot chocolate and tea, two of my favorite beverages!  And what better way to celebrate than with a mug rug or two?
Project Picture:

not sure how the one with the teacups on it ended up so wonky, but... oh well.  Live and learn.

Battle/Challenge: October Seeing From a Different Angle
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Serial Killer jewelry
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Made this for a swap.  The recipient isn't a participant in the Games, so I figure this is safe to post.  The jewelry is based on the story of H.H. Holmes (known as America's first serial killer), who may have killed over 200 people.  He built his infamous "murder castle" in Chicago and advertised it as a hotel for visitors to the World's Fair in 1893.  (You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...) Also a first was the Ferris Wheel, which was constructed for the very first time at the Fair.  I combined these notions into an eclectic necklace.  Hopefully you can see all the little angles created by the spokes on the blood-spattered wheel.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013 07:03:05 AM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2013 11:15:25 AM »

Yikes, that necklace is wonderfully morbid and obscure!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2013 11:46:01 AM »

Yikes, that necklace is wonderfully morbid and obscure!   Shocked

I hope that's a good thing! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2013 02:04:59 PM »

Love those mug rugs, bunny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013 02:32:04 PM »

Love those mug rugs, bunny!
Thanks, Abbee!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2013 06:42:20 PM »

Those mug rugs are super cute! I've just one question that I've wondered about for awhile: is a mug rug like a coaster for hot beverages? Or is it supposed to wrap around the cup? I any believe I don't know that by now, haha.

The necklace is cool and creepy. I hope your partner likes it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2013 09:54:48 AM »

Will have to play catch up again today/tomorrow with comments, but here's my latest item:

Battle/Challenge: Seeing from a different angle
Team:Multimedia
Project Name: Triangular Candy Corn hat? (It's a pouch)
Project Page Link (if available):N/A
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)
In my infinite wisdom I decided to make a "bag" for the trick and treat swap, and it had to be a crochet one. That's what I thought. And I also decided it had to be a candy corn one (which I decided will be more a "pouch" than a bag.

That being said - I've never done anything else really than crocheting in a line, or did one body part (small) of an amigurumi or used more than 1 colour... several years ago! This time, with just the online pattern and a UK/US Crochet "Dictionary" (otherwise known as conversion chart) I started it. It's triangular as you can see at the bottom - and having the pattern written in a different crochet "language"(seeing it from a different angle) than my own (ahem... if you can say that in my crochet baby steps!) , I thought this would fit nicely into this challenge.

It took me ages... or at least longer than it should, and my increases didn't happen all the time in the right places, and I really don't know what the 2ch are for either (I know it means 2 chain stitches, but really don't know WHY they're there!). But it still turned out as a "pouch", and it's still triangular at the bottom (at least).

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013 02:03:19 AM by Inselaeffchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2013 08:55:41 AM »

Battle/Challenge:October Bottoms Up
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: Sauced Sauce
Brief Description: One of my favorite drinks this time of year is Fireball Whisky in Apple Cider or Apple Beer. So having tons of apples I decided to Whisky up some applesauce and can it. It is delicious! I just have to keep the family out of it so I still have some in the winter/spring. I still have a couple of bushels of apples left, I may have to make some more!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2013 12:38:41 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  September Starfleet Uniform - Red
Team: Wordy!
Project Name: Very Small Apples
Brief Description:  I made these apples for a model room Im working on, but they are too big for that one, but the right size for another model I have in mind.  Glass beads shaped with acrylic matte medium, painted, with thread stems.  I think a little more variation in color might help, so I will try that on the next ones.  These apples would work for 1:24 scale.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Change Up Your Look with Hair Extensions
How To Get Effortless Beach Wavy Hair
Amber Valletta at Her Allure June 2014 Shoot
The 5 Best Curling Irons
How to Make Hair Toner with Household Products
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...