A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 35393 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dichotomy
Fastest needles in the west.

~Team Wordy~

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2013 10:58:25 AM »

Battle/Challenge: September UFO Sighting
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points: Green! The one on top in the picture is green, even though it doesn't look much like it in the photo. Also it's good for the environment.
Project Name: Food Wraps
Link: http://www.diynatural.com/reusable-food-wrap-plastic-alternative/
Brief Description: Fabric from my stash, pinked into squares, with beeswax ironed into it to make reusable wraps for storing food, to use in place of disposables like plastic wrap, sandwich bags, and wax paper. I bought the beeswax and pinking shears a while ago for this project but never got around to it - until now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2013 03:39:59 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September Bard Battle- Shakespeare!
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: N/A
Project Name: Lady Macbeth Can't Do Laundry Either...
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427829.msg5102133#msg5102133
Brief Description: Laundry. No matter how many different chemical treatments I try, I simply cannot get stubborn stains out of my laundry. From organic, protein-based stains to stains from synthetic materials, I am completely lacking in stain-removing skills. No matter how much I scrub, stains stay. I completely sympathize with Lady Macbeth...

This paper cut was cut using my Silhouette Cameo,and it was originally supposed to be blood red, but the blade didn't cut cleanly (my replacement blade is buried somewhere), so I chose a green paper to represent grass stains. The green will look better in my laundry room anyway (for now).

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013 03:42:23 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Ezri_B
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2013 04:07:21 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September Battle Royale- Austen
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: Austen Quote Pillow
Brief Description: Just finished today, a throw pillow with one of my favorite quotes by Jane Austen. I'm redoing our bedroom in grey and yellow so this is perfect in there. (Sorry about the photo quality, I wanted to be sure I got it in on time, and I haven't ironed it yet, and the lighting is horrible right now.) It says:

The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone.
― Jane Austen
 Love and Friendship

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanath
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2013 04:21:40 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September Bard Battle- Shakespeare!
Team: Fandom (took me all month to decide)
Bonus Points: none
Project Name: Mid-autumn night dream
Brief Description:
As I was daydreaming, someone came and switched the days on the calendar, so the end of the month managed to sneak up on me. Switching things around and causing mischief is something fairies are well known for. That's what they do in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
So, I created a crown inspired by fairies.
Project Pictures:

and some more images, the entire crown, a close up detail, and an actual person wearing the crown:

and now to sleep, I have a feeling I will wake up to quite a few new project posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2013 04:45:39 PM »

docnessie, I love your skull cameo earrings! I have  a skull cameo pendant, and it always gets a double-take. I bet you get a ton of compliments on your earrings, once people pay attention to the details!

Eiseldora- Nice job on the buttons! I have a button maker in the attic, and as soon as I'm brave enough, I'll have to venture up there to dig it out. You've inspired me! I like the washcloth, too! If I ever finish my first knit scarf, I will venture into washcloth territory... And, cheese! I've always wanted to try making cheese at home. I can't believe you didn't have to do anything to it but heat the milk (and let it sit). Nice job on the Chilton, too. I really like the color. And, I'm curious, what will become of the Medusa hair snakes? Lovely colors!

Inselaeffchen- Great interpretation of an element from the Periodic Table! I might have to steal your idea for a future card project! And, I like your knitted dalek washcloth! That style of washcloth is one of the reasons I wanted to learn how to knit (silly as it sounds...).

BadWolf314- Great start for Team Textbook! I really like the stamped penny bracelet idea, but I may have to transform it into a necklace for myself. And, the Empty Bowls project is such a neat idea! I'll have to see if we have something similar in our area. And, even though I don't watch much Dr. Who (it has been a very long time...), I really like those note cards! Your Hulk pillow also rocks. I think pillows are a great way to preserve an old, favorite shirt! The Exploding Picture Box is amazing! I've bookmarked it for future reference (thanks for the tutorial link!). And, thanks for the wonton recipe! I love that they can be frozen for later!

vincentvanbuck- Nice job on the block print! Nice job on the details (especially the eyes!). What size block did you use? Your Halloween Ninni is adorable! I have 2 from a swap, and they just make me smile when I look at them. Great tardis ATC, too!

Ezri_B, I think I need an adult-size version of that doll bed! It's great! And, the matching quilt & pillow set is adorable! Fantastic job on sewing such tiny triangles together! And, your Snow Dalek is a riot! I wonder how long it'll take before she notices it? I do think, however, that I need your little crocheted adipose to carry in my pocket as a reminder to just say "No!" to the candy and chips in the vending machine... Nice stitching on your Austen pillow- fabulous quote, too!

Ludi, again, you amaze me! How long does a piece like that Lover's Eye take? My embroidery skills are very basic, but I'd love to someday be able to create something as fabulous! But, my favorite, favorite is Little Rupert Marsh! OMG! I love him!!

rockmygypsysoul, your Starfleet bobby pins are so clever! When I cut my hair short, I ditched all of my hair doodads. Now that it's growing again, I think I need to make some beaded lovelies!

bunny1kenobi, great shirts! Did you use freezer paper? It's still my favorite way to stencil a shirt! The Bizzeebag is so fun! I am tempted to make one for my classroom, but I'm not sure if my 6th graders would appreciate it...

SenatorOrgana, I love your Luna Layered Movable ATC! First, because it has a moon on it, and second, because it moves. And, because it's based on the Periodic Table Smiley

pinkleo Love that baby beanie, and that crocheted bear is adorable! We have 4 or 5 pregnant ladies in my school right now (and one is having twins), so I think I need to dig out my hook and whip up a few baby hats (thanks for the pattern  link!). And, your dalek is just adorable!

Calabaza, that Lucinda costume is gorgeous! I love the fabrics you used!

Abbeeroad, great stamped pendant! Where did you get the aluminum from? It looks like it has a decent thickness to it. And, nice job on the tardis tablet cover! Fun covers like that almost make me want to splurge on a tablet! Smiley And, terrifying as they may be, your tiny dalek cross-sitch is adorable.

dichotomy, great dice bags! I really like how they stand open! That would be handy for so many things! Great fabrics, too! And, what a neat idea to make your own food wraps! I bought a set of beeswax wraps for my friend's birthday earlier this year, but I never thought to try making my own. Thanks for the tutorial link!

LovelyMiss, your Uthando dolls are so fantastic! I love all of their accessories, too!

Tanath, excellent fairie crown! If it wouldn't get totally tangled in my hair, I'd love to wear it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2013 05:44:18 PM »

Thanks, craftADDchick!  I'm still pretty slow, so it takes me about 10 hours to do one of those eyes, but I'll also be looking at the internets, taking breaks, etc during that time, and it's broken up over three days or so.  I like to hope I'll get faster, because  there's a ton of things I want to make.  I'm glad folks enjoy Little Rupert, he was fun to make, though his outfit was a challenge; I'm not used to making clothes that small!   Tongue 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2013 05:53:55 PM »

Ten hours... that's less than a crocheted afghan (at the speed at which I crochet, at least)... I might have to start honing my embroidery skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2013 06:16:19 PM »

thanks, craftADDchick! Yes, the t-shirts were done with freezer paper.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SenatorOrgana
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2013 07:54:30 PM »

Team Fandom reporting in with a last-minute September challenge entry! Smiley Gotta represent...

Battle/Challenge: September - Starfleet Uniform
Team: Fandom
Bonus Points: -
Project Name: Ren Faire Garb
Project Page Link (if available): I used this tutorial for the hat: http://www.instructables.com/id/Kufi-style-Hat/?ALLSTEPS
Brief Description: Been working on this ALL month and finally stopped procrastinating long enough to get it done last-minute of course! I offered to make my BF some new garb to replace his old stuff; he works at the nearby Renaissance Festival that starts soon. He picked out the fabrics and told me what he wanted, and I made it! Smiley Blue tunic (with grommets and lacing to be added later), pants made out of fabric from Goodwill - it's this lovely blue and gold stuff, you can see the colors and pattern in the detail pic; and finally a hat to match! I love making hats. So it's even kind of a uniform! Smiley He also wants some red stuff but I haven't gotten around to that set yet.

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013 11:33:43 AM by SenatorOrgana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2013 07:59:42 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September Battle - Dickens
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: Discovery
Project Name: Steampunk/Victorian Bellydance Skirt (saga)
Project Page Link (if available): coming soon...
Brief Description: Steampunk is generally a re-write of Victorian England, right about old Dickens' time.  It just so happens that we are also working on a steampunk choreography for our bellydance troupe, so costumes were needed!  I am not going to post anything of my actual costume here, for two reasons 1) it's not done and 2) I don't want anyone getting a sneak peek before Saturday.

This was one of the early prototypes, and will not be used by the troupe.  I have some lovely tweed fabric that coordinates with it, though, and I'll probably turn it into a Sherlock Homes-esque costume complete with bustle and hat... and that's just a few years after Dickens' time, so close enough?  Cheesy

Soon I will post an entire page on my voyage of discovery when it comes to these costumes (skirts in particular), but I wanted to get this battle in on time!

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013 08:01:18 PM by Smeddley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Pad Thai
How to Make Raita
How to Use Fresh Ginger Root
How to Cook Ma Po Tofu
How to Make Salmon Tikka
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...