A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 33074 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eiseldora
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2013 10:56:27 PM »

Battle/Challenge:September Periodic Table
Team:Multimedia
Bonus Points: Discovery, Engineering
Project Name:Cheese
Brief Description:Calcium is the element I decided to focus on, and since dairy is synonymous for calcium I'd like to submit my first homemade cheese! I've wanted to learn how to make cheese for a while, and I finally learned by making my first cheese, specifically 2nd Day farmer's cheese. Contrary to the name it look less than a day to make the cheese.

I used whole milk. Heated it to exactly 200 degrees F. Then took it off the heat and let it cool it to 135 degrees F.
Next I poured it through a muslin cloth to separate the Curds from the Whey. I let it hang for over an hour and then I had my cheese. I broke up the pieces and added Salt, but then it was ready for consumption.

It made about a pound of Cheese that I used as filling for Manicotti stuffed shells.

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:September Starfleet Uniform
Bonus Points:
Project Name:Chilton
Brief Description:
For this challenge I created a Greek dress in the Starfleet Science Officer Color of blue.
This involves
Project Picture:
NO PINTREST Please

Battle/Challenge:September Monster Madness
Bonus Points:
Project Name:Medusa's Haircut
Brief Description:I'm not a monster person but I've like the classic monsters from Greek Mythology more than the creepy or cuddly monsters of today.
For this challenge I've selected Medusa
I"ve knit her hair ie snakes.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013 01:16:18 AM »

Mmmm, manicotti. And with homemade cheese too! Yum!

Love all the daleks!
Haha, great idea to plunk one in a victorian village, Ezri_B.
Love that pinkleo's pattern was for an egg cozy! Dalek eye movements remind me of a chicken moving it's head to contemplate grain, a bug, a rock, you...

Really like the stitching in the background of your tablet cover, Abbeeroad. Nice touch!

Ludi, I have no idea who Little Rupert is, but yours is amazing!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013 06:33:39 AM »

Thank you!  Little Rupert is my own interpretation of the fish-frog people from HP Lovecraft's story "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013 07:52:22 AM »

Battle/Challenge: September Periodic Table
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: 0
Project Name: Adipose
Brief Description: Hydrogen- Adipose tissue is made up primarily of hydrogen (which I learned from researching, so if someone knows differently please correct me!) Also it's number 1 on the periodic table, and I made one of these cute little (and I mean little) guys. I crocheted him with embroidery floss which was a little tedius, but I sort of LOVE my little Adipose!
Project Picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013 12:02:47 PM »

pinkleo I love your hats!!! They are always so adorable! I love the Dalek and I think it would be fantastic as an ornament. As soon I as finish my Lego blocks, Im making a bunch for my tree!
Calabaza That dress is lovely!
Ludi Lovely eye! Im in favor of a watching wall as well!!! It would be slightly creepy but awesome!
Ezri_B Christmas Dalek and tiny adipose, ADORABLE!!!
Abbeeroad AWESOME whovian crafts!!! I love the Fantastic pendant!
dichotomy I need to make some of these for my husband! He has buckets of dice he uses. I love the fabric choices!
Eiseldora That manicotti looks delicious!!!

Battle/Challenge: September: Palindrome
Team:Textbook
Project Name: Not now, wonton
Brief Description: My mother lived in Japan for two years and taught me to love Japanese food. My favorite things she makes is a slightly americanized wonton she calls gyoza. The best part about them is that you can make a whole bunch and just freeze the extras for later, which fits this palindrome perfectly.
Project Picture:

1 T soy sauce
t garlic powder
⅛ t ginger powder
1 egg
lb ground hamburger
lb ground sausage (regular flavor -  not maple)
c of packaged coleslaw
⅛th of a large onion
1 package of 48 ct. wonton skins

Beat first 4 ingredients together. Mince onion and coleslaw finely. Mix everything together. For each wonton skin, place a teaspoon size amount of meat mixture at the bottom corner. Wet with water the top edge of the top corner of the wonton skin. Fold bottom corner over the top of the meat to cover to about the upper middle of the top corner. Fold each side over and then roll to make a little package. Fry in a 325 degree vegetable oil (or crisco) for a few minutes on each side until meat is cooked and the wonton skin is a golden brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Tanath
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2013 01:08:50 PM »

BadWolf - That's a clever palindrome, and you're right, it fits perfectly Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2013 02:34:08 PM »

omg I love gyoza!  I always made mine with ground pork as opposed to sausage and hamburger and used fresh garlic and ginger.  MMMM.... craving it now!  Might have to make some this weekend and freeze 'em....  Grin  Perfect palindrome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inselaeffchen
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013 03:34:49 PM »

Battle/Challenge: Monster Madness (September)
Bonus Points: 0
Project Name: EXTERMINATE
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: My first ever knitting project that includes purl stitches (the only things I've done so far were chunky scarves with only knit stitch). And while I can see some missed rows (that Dalek was on a quick diet) and even 1 or 2 dropped stitches, I decided to hand in my Challenge for it. DALEKS are one of my favorite "Monsters" in Doctor Who. Smiley I'm sure I'll knit another Dalek Wash Cloth or might even transform it into a blanket with other Doctor Who inspired blocks. Pattern is from Ravelry

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 03:54:28 PM by Inselaeffchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013 10:05:45 PM »

Things have been sooooo busy, I haven't been able to get to even half my ideas.  But now that this item has safely reached its recipient, I can finally post something new!

Battle/Challenge: Conventions (September)
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: "La TARDIS"
Brief Description: Trading cards, you say?  Yep, that definitely registers on my Nerdometer.  And Doctor Who themed ones at that?  Oh yeah, the Nerdometer clearly indicates that we must be at a convention to be achieving this level of nerdiness, my friends.  Cool I made this ATC for Acadian Driftwood in the Ongoing ATC Swap.  It was my first time to use watercolor pencils -- I like!  Now, not being a Whovian myself, I hope the good Doctor will forgive me if I took a couple of liberties in the design of his beloved spacecraft.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013 10:07:11 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013 06:46:00 AM »

Research Project Submission

Research Project Name:  More Uthando Dolls
Team: Randomizer
Bonus Points:  Engineering, Giver
Brief Description:  I finsihed up the last few Uthando dolls I plan to make (at least for a while).  The top two are larger than my normal ones, and made out of fleece.  I also made some simpler clothes to go with those two, so hopefully they can be given to younger children.  The two larger dolls each have a toga/shoulder knot dress, an elastic waist square skirt, a shirt/jacket, an elastic top/halter dress, a necklace/belt, a purse, and a drawstring bag to hold everything.  The smaller doll has three different dresses, an elastic waist skirt, halter shirt, purse, necklace/belt, and a drawstring bag.  They all also have the required undies.  Additionally, I made a tutorial post for the drawstring bags I include with all of the dolls.  It can be found here.

Project Pictures:

Research Project Proposal

Research Project Name:  Room Re-do
Team:  Randomizer
Brief Description: I have been needing to declutter the office and move my craft room for a long time.  We do not use our living room for its intended purpose, so it has been decided that will become my new craft space.  I need to put down carpet, de-furniture, relocate all supplies, and decorate my new work room.  It will probably take me longer than three weeks, but I hope having it as a research project will help me get going on this project.

Materials:  Carpet tiles, furniture, paint (?), decor.  And literally every single craft supply I own.  Tongue
Timeline:  Three weeks and beyond, if necessary.
Week 1:  Rearrange, organize, and de-furniture living room.  Perhaps start carpeting.
Week 2: Carpet living room.  Rearrange furniture and figure out work station areas.  Start moving craft supplies. 
Week 3 +:  Finish moving supplies and organize them in new space.  Put up artwork/decorate. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Makeup Tricks for Summer
Seven Days of Makeup Looks with Beauty Blogger Nicole Marie
How to Master the Basic Manicure
OMG With RJS: Birchbox May 2014 Unboxing!
Guy Attempts to Follow an Eyebrow Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...