A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 31609 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013 10:50:43 AM »

Battle/Challenge:September Palindrome
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: Giver Bonus
Project Name: Dammit I'm Mad
Brief Description: We're having a silent auction at our church and my husband and I decided to make a doll bed together, well he did the measurements and told me the cuts to make (I have number dyslexia) then he was called away for a week for work and I had to do the rest myself. Well after tons of measuring and piecing I made the bed, only to find out I screwed up a bit and it's wider than it was meant to be hence the palindrome "Dammit I'm Mad" (Note: There is an amazing long palindrome poem written by Demetri Martin of the same name, which is where I found it, but the whole poem didn't really fit the sit, but felt I needed to give the props) However, even though it turned out to be too wide I'm quite happy with it, I just wish I had made the quilt (below) a bit wider to compensate
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September UFO Sighting
Team:Multimedia
Bonus Points: Green bonus & Giver Bonus
Project Name: Pinwheel doll quilt
Brief Description: I had purchased fabric and made pinwheels for a quilt for my  niece a while back, then found out my grandma was making her a quilt and didn't want to compete, so I set the pinwheels aside to someday be used. We are having a silent auction to raise money for our church I made a doll quilt to go with the bed and pillows I made.
Project Picture:

Before

After
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013 10:59:34 AM »

That's lovely (both pieces) and what a wonderful contribution to make!!  Plus excellent palindrome!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013 12:43:14 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  September UFO
Team: Wordy!
Bonus Points: Green
Project Name: Portrait Eye
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427405.0#axzz2ei0QtIjX
Brief Description:  Embroidery for craftylittlemonkey of a special green eye. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013 10:07:22 AM »

Battle/Challenge:  Star Fleet Uniforms
Bonus Points: none
Project Name: Star Fleet Beaded Bobby Pins
Brief Description:  A few beaded bobby pins done in red, blue, gold, or some combination thereof!  Some of us might like a little touch of pretty to our uniforms  Wink  The gold is my favorite and I was going to make a matching one but didn't have another of the long bicone-style bead so one will have to do.  Or perhaps I'll destruct this one and make two new ones, each with one  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013 08:45:20 PM »

Battle/Challenge: September - Monster Madness
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Halloween Ninni #1
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: Ever since discovering the "Ninni Monster" pattern from Revoluzzza, I have been dying to start making some of these guys.  Two weeks ago, I tried my hand at hand-sewing a cat using the pattern (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427100.msg5088597#msg5088597).  This experience taught me that when cut (especially on a curve), fabric is going to start fraying like crazy.

So!  Using some Halloween fabric I purchased recently, I made a "proper" monster Ninni using a sewing machine.  This was my very first time ever machine sewing.  Since I don't own a machine, my best friend was *supposed* to bring hers to the house of another friend whose house we were meeting at to craft today, but sadly, she forgot it.  Cry However, it turns out our host had a tiny machine his mother had given him, which he had never used before.

The original pattern calls for the stuffing opening to be serged, but I didn't realize that required special equipment.  So, I was planning on closing the monster by using (for the first time) a blind stitch, but I messed up and ended up leaving a curved part as the opening for my stuffing.  Thinking that it would be too hard to blind stitch for the first time ever on a curve, I hand stitched it closed (hence his club "claw" on the left of the photo).

He's definitely a "I'm still learning how to do this" project, but I'm excited to make more of these and get more practice in machine sewing  Smiley

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013 08:46:57 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
fancybutch

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013 04:54:44 PM »

wow so many projects all ready and it's mid month and I need to get crackin

I LOVE the monster Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013 06:29:59 AM »

Battle/Challenge: September Palindrome
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Princess Tee
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Made this for an "avid diva", who been planning her October princess birthday party since March!  Grin My scanner doesn't pick up the flourescent pink very well... that's what the grayish color actually is... Undecided
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September conventions
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Merlin tee
Brief Description: I'm guessing there have been shirts like these by the boatload at various comic-cons... at least, among Merlin fans!
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September UFO
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Bizzeebag
Brief Description: I had all of the materials for this, just waiting for the right occasion to make one... this one is for a young lady's upcoming birthday!  (Yeah, the "diva" I mentioned in my first post!   Wink) Sadly, while I believe there may be a little green on the fabric, I think I can quite unequivocally say that this item is pink... Undecided
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013 10:25:05 AM »

Ezri_B The bed and quilt turned out awesome!!!
Ludi WOW! That eye looks amazing!
rockmygypsysoul They are the perfect accessory! I'd just be careful about wearing the all red ones! Wink
vincentvanbuck Such an adorable little monster! So cute!
bunny1kenobi Love the shirts! And I love the Bizzeebag! I think I need one for myself some days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
SenatorOrgana

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013 08:19:41 AM »

September Challenge: Periodic Table
Team: Fandom
Bonus Points: Engineering (tutorial posted)
Project Name: Luna Layered Movable ATC
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427524.0#axzz2fFvYCVfl
Brief Description: Titanium, atomic number 22 (my favorite number), is an element which is silver in color, like our own moon. Its presence in lunar samples indicated that the Moon has the same composition as the Earth - a very important fact! (From Wikipedia's entry on the Moon).
From wiki.answers.com: "Traditionally, lunar basalts have been classified according to their titanium content, with classes being named high-Ti, low-Ti, and very-low-Ti."

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013 08:35:31 AM »

SenatorOrgana Lovely ATC and fantastic tutorial!

Battle/Challenge: Bard Battle: Shakespeare
Team:Textbook
Project Name: Exploding Picture Box
Project Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427525.0#axzz2fG3ADi5o
Brief Description: I had a difficult time deciding who to craft for but I finally decided that it should be Shakespeare (purely for the fact that he quoted J.K. Rowling that one time Cheesy) I found a quote of his With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come and that inspired me to put together this exploding box of some of the silly and fun things Ive done with my family.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Blastus from Robotomy
How to Draw the Pirate Captain
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
How to Draw a Leopard
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...