A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 31661 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013 07:28:34 PM »

Research Project Proposal

Research Project Name: More Uthando Dolls
Team: Team Randomizer
Brief Description:   Id like to finish three more dolls before I ship out my package for the Uthdano Project.  I will be making at least two of them out of fleece, and larger than my others, so that they are appropriate for younger children.  Ive never sewn fleece, or used it for anything other than tie items before, so Im not sure what to expect.  I will also need to come up with some different clothing designs that are more appropriate and easier to get on and off for the younger kids.  I may also need to figure out a different way to do the faces, if my Painters dont work well on fleece.  The technique I used to attach the hair on my last batch wasn't as successful as I hoped, so I will be trying something new for that, too.

Materials:  Fleece, other fabric, thread, rope, yarn, stuffing, embroidery floss, ribbon, Elmers Painters, sewing machine
Timeline:  About three weeksby September 28.
Week 1:  Cut out bodies, sew, and stuff.  Add faces and start on hair.
Week 2:  Finish adding hair, start sewing clothes.
Week 3: Finish clothes, make draw string bags.  Photograph, post, and hopefully ship out package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013 08:40:31 PM »

Inselaeffchen that card turned out awesome! I love the colors!

I thought I wasn't going to get anything done this week but surprisingly I have. I didn't get to work on my Research Project as much as I was hoping but I got some other projects done instead.

Battle/Challenge: September: Monster Madness
Team:Textbook
Bonus Points: Charity - Empty Bowls
Charity Link: http://www.emptybowls.net/
Project Name: Pokeball Bowl
Brief Description: Empty Bowls is such a fun charity craft to do. Basically people donate decorated bowls to food banks around the U.S. These food banks then have a day where people wait in line, buy a bowl and get some soup, like one would have to do in a soup line. The money can then be used by the food bank for supplies and food for those in need in the community. One of my favorite monsters are pocket monsters or as most people know them Pokemon. So I painted this bowl to look like their favorite place to hang out, the pokeball. This bowl hasnt actually been fired yet so the colors are a bit dull, but I wont get to see it again so thisll have to do.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September: Periodic Table
Bonus Points: Charity - AquaHearts Carepackage
Project Name: Doctor Who Themed Penny Bracelet
Brief Description: I choose the element of copper and one of the common uses is pennies. So I crafted this bracelet using pennies stamped with some Doctor Who themed things.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September: Starfleet Uniform
Bonus Points: Charity - AquaHearts Carepackage
Project Name: Doctor Who Themed Cards
Brief Description: I made these blue cards with some Gallifreyan sayings someone else had made up. Im a Doctor Who fan, not a linguist.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013 05:39:44 PM »

--Congratulations BadWolf314 !--
--You are the first to earn the Monster Madness Badge!--

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges. 

*Once revealed, a badge can be found in the Badge Center.*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013 09:39:25 PM »

Battle/Challenge: UFO Sighting September
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: turning in a green UFO
Project Name: Signs of San Antonio #3
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427340.0#axzz2eSUQ1heW
Brief Description: My UFO sighting for this month, is (a representation of) an actual flying object!  This angel is part of the logo for a restaurant in my hometown of San Antonio, TX.  This summer, I bought a Speedball lino block printing kit, and have loved using it so far.  I have been using it to make a series of block prints reproducing signs and logos from places around town that are meaningful to me.  I meant to complete this guy right after I finished the first 2 back in July, but got side-tracked with other projects.

I have to point out that since this is the logo from a restaurant, I only reproduced it as a lino block print, but did not create the original image itself.  (I wish I knew the name of the artist, so I could give proper credit for that.)  But at any rate, this is by far my most ambitious carving project to date, and I LOVE how it came out.  I was quite nervous while carving, because I was afraid I was doing a really sloppy job on the detail work, and was expecting it wouldn't come out looking like the "real thing".  
Project Picture:

This is the first print I did, on a piece of canvas paper.  I simply pressed the inked block to the paper, which resulted in a fairly faint image.

For the second print, I took a piece of brown Kraft paper, and applied it upside down to the inked block and burnished the paper with the back of a metal spoon, resulting in a much fuller image transfer.

Pretty happy that I am so pleased with my first project for the Fall Nerd Battles!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013 08:56:41 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013 06:03:11 AM »

--Congratulations vincentvanbuck!--
--You are the first to earn the September UFO Badge!--

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges. 

*Once revealed, a badge can be found in the Badge Center.*

--All September Badges Revealed--

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013 08:40:32 AM »

vincentvanbuck - I miss San Antonio! It has been too long since I've been there and I haven't had good Tex-Mex in way too long! I love the detail you were able to do on the block, I think it turned out awesome!!!

Battle/Challenge: September: Convention
Project Name: Hulk SMASH!
Brief Description: Ive sadly never been to a convention, so Im just assuming that there would be pillows of your favorite super hero. I mean who doesnt want to cuddle with the Hulk? I actually made this out of my favorite shirt that I had worn so much it had lots of little holes everywhere. A little bit of interfacing, stuffing and some work on the sewing machine and VOILA! I have a new favorite pillow.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013 04:29:20 PM »

There is so much awesome stuff being done here!! 

I spent over 2 hours today working on my monster craft only to have ruined it with my own idiocy.  Very frustrated, especially since it was working with a lino cut so my hand hurts (since I have fibro) with nothing to show for it   Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013 09:15:05 PM »

Very frustrated, especially since it was working with a lino cut so my hand hurts (since I have fibro) with nothing to show for it   Embarrassed

It is heart-breaking when working with a lino cut, and then all of a sudden your hand slips and now there is a giant gash through part of your design.  Or you realize you carved out the wrong part.   Embarrassed  What ended up happening?

And yes, lino cut *definitely* makes the hand hurt, especially if you're working at it for a while.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013 05:40:42 AM »

Like a truly stupid person, I didn't transpose the lettering.  I'm new to all of it so when I work with rubber stamps, if there's lettering I often just cut straight through the rubber.  But of course, this was lino and it's a whole different ballgame.  I just wasn't paying attention and that's what happens when you don't pay attention  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013 01:41:30 PM »

This is my first research proposal; I really hope its OK and Ive done it right?  Huh

Research Project Name:De-manning our new home; part one of many
Team: Wordy  Grin
Brief description:
I moved into my bfs a while back, and I am beginning the process of de-manning the house a wee bit it needs a bit of TLC, and Im starting with the bathroom. Ill be doing this on my own, as he is a) pants at DIY and b) away with work for most of the time.
Week 1: Researching the colour scheme; we have a green bathroom suite that I need to work around, so I need to plan how to tone it down a little. Ive already spent three nights on craftster researching!
Buying materials and starting the prep work: stripping, sanding, and so on (and removing the worrying stain by the toilet lets not dwell on that)

Week 2: Finish prep work, paint tiles and walls, fix ceiling and paint. Re-grout and reseal (not in that order)

Week 3: This is where my team wordy comes in: Do detail painting, Im going to paint bathroom related quotes and words from other languages around the bathroom.
Paint and pretty up the furniture and the bath panel again with wordiness.
Paint the window in the door with a bathing quote.

I have some before pics, so you can see what I'm up against, but wasn't sure where to put them (if anywhere?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013 01:43:49 PM by lozzieozzie - Reason: made text easier to read » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
The Zoe Report: 15 Beauty Must-Haves For A Sunny Escape
Surprising Uses for Cinnamon in Your Beauty Routine
January Jones Reveals Her Must Have Beauty Products
5 Must Have Beauty Devices
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...