A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED:Fall Nerd Battles --Sept. 3, 2013 thru November 30, 2013--  (Read 31557 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eiseldora
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2013 07:22:58 PM »

Gah this is what happens when you leave a post up and go to bed.  I think my cats posted for me buy jumping on the keyboard.

I will finish with all the details soon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2013 09:03:16 PM »

Krafty_Karasu Gorgeous earrings and necklace!!!

thank you very much!  and I really like your Pokemon Trainer costume.  Smiley  I used to be a huge fan of the show, but it got a little too annoying for me.  Undecided  the original was best.  I still collect anything and everything Pikachu though.  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
docnessie
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2013 01:07:53 AM »

My partner received in my first swap, so now I can post a few projects:

Battle/Challenge: September Periodic Table
Team: Wordy
Project Name:Princess Bride Cameo Pin
Project Page Link (if available):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428703.0#axzz2jHb6riwf
Brief Description: I made this little cameo inspired by the Princess Bride.  I heavily modified the cover art from the movie in photoshop.  It features Westley and Buttercup in the foreground  framed by trees, and a castle in the background.  I then printed the image on photopaper and added it to a cameo setting with glass cabochon.  I put a pin on the back.  The cabochon is made of glass, comprised of the element Silica Smiley

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September Starfleet Uniform
Project Name: Blue jewelry set
Project Page Link (if available):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428705.0#axzz2jHb6riwf
Brief Description: I made this necklace out of fabric from a blue t shirt, and created a set with glass bead earrings and fimo rose hair clips.  Of course, the color I chose is Blue!

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: October Archetype
Project Name: Pink roses jewelry
Project Page Link (if available):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428704.0#axzz2jHb6riwf
Brief Description: I braided some jersey fabric and covered the ends by wrapping with embroidery floss.  I used some pink jersey to make some roses and hot glued them (my first attempt using only sewing was a disaster) to the braided fabric.  I made this one for a swap, but I liked how it came out so I have been making more as gifts.  The hair clips are fink fimo roses attached to a bobby clip.  I think this fits with the archetype The Creator because of course, whenever we craft we create, but also gardening is also an expression of creativity.

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: September Conventions
Project Name: Princess Bride Cameo bags
Project Page Link (if available):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428706.0#axzz2jHb6riwf
Brief Description: What better way to show off your fandom but with a cameo themed bag!  I made these bags inspired by Westley and Buttercup from the Princess Bride.  Freezer stenciling on canvas.

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2013 06:36:19 AM »

Beautiful!  Go Team Wordy!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2013 09:16:39 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Westley and Buttercup cameo!  Beautiful work, and yay for Team Wordy! 

I have a vampire project that I hope I can get turned in by the end of the day if I remember!  And if I can find it.... it seems to have wandered off...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2013 11:48:00 AM »

Battle/Challenge:  October Battle Royale - Werewolves!
Team: Wordy!
Bonus Points: none
Project Name: Spooky Wolfsbane Jar
Brief Description:  Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

I wish I'd had time to do something more elaborate, but at least I got this one jar done by Halloween!  :p

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2013 06:12:09 PM »

fancybutch, I love that Celtic knot on the leaf. Did you press it and preserve it before you gave it?

vincentvanbuck, your zombie mermaid is fantastic, especially her seashells Smiley

Krafty_Karasu, I've never seen that sculpture before, so thanks for sharing the link. It is a beautiful piece of work, and your necklace pays tribute to it quite nicely! I love the earrings, too! They would make a great set without being too "matchy matchy" Wink

Eiseldora, great idea to dye the yarn blood red! I bet it will spin up beautifully, too! And, your cowl came out great (and rainbow-y!), as did your Kool-aid dyed yarn. Your book display is intriguing, and I may have to read a couple of those titles (but some of them look a little too creepy for me!). Your monk hood is gorgeous and I love the yarn you used - it looks so soft and cozy. But, I think the night sky roving might be my favorite. If you spin that up before the games end, I would love to see how it turns out!

BadWolf314, great Twilight Zone/Dr. Who mashup! Fantastic! Clever Halloween costume, too- I love how you could even wear it (or at least parts of it) any time. I like the necklace, too (I really need to try stamping on pennies at some point).  And, your Pokemon badges are really neat! What did you make them out of? And, the moon phase ATC that shows the phases? Love it! Stealing the idea for my classroom!

docnessie, I love The Princess Bride, so your cabochon is ace! And the silhouette tote bags make me want to put silhouettes on everything (I would love them as a set of pillowcases!). I like your jewelry sets, too ( I should make more jewelry, or at least wear more of what I already own!).

Ludi, nice jar of wolfsbane!

I have not yet completed my vampire item (due to time constraints, I have changed my idea about 4 times... if I can get the sewing machine out of the car (if the rain has stopped), I may be able to sneak in a project by the deadline!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2013 07:17:50 PM »

Okay, I've got two projects to share!

Battle/Challenge: September- Starfleet (Red)
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Engineering a Lunch Bag
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: I've had this Women in Engineering drawstring backpack for quite a while from when I took a group of students to the event. I seldom used it in its original form, so I decided to re-engineer it. I also need to start packing healthier lunches (Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffins can't really count as my vegetable serving  Grin ) and I had two bento-type lunchboxes (one that expands and one that is perfect for salads) and needed a properly sized bag to carry them in. I chopped off the corners of the bag by cutting big notches in the bottom corners (to make a square-bottom bag, perfect for my square containers). Then, I cut off the top part of the bag to re-use the drawstring section (I call it clever, and not my lazy attempt to avoid re-creating the drawstring top). I hemmed each raw edge, and then stitched the drawstring section inside the main body of the bag. Hopefully, my new lunchbag will be just the incentive I need to start eating more nutritious lunches.

New lunch bag:

Original Bag:

Battle/Challenge: October Battle- Vampires!
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Blood Drop Pillow (aka Vampire Shield)
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: Ever since I saw 'Salems Lot when I was a kid, when I sleep at night, I tend to be curled up in a ball, with my head and neck covered (as protection against vampire bites). Now that I'm older, I still sleep curled up in a ball with my head covered, but tend to wake up sore in the shoulders from hugging my arms across my body. I've found that hugging a small pillow alleviates much of that soreness. And, I'm hoping that the blood drop shape will fool the vampires and keep them from biting my neck while I sleep.

I think it needs a cute face (maybe something with fangs), but that will have to wait until I am more awake (bedtime was about 20 minutes ago... and I have two very long, busy days ahead...and my black yarn is at school...).

ETA: Hmmmm... when I rotated the photos in the the Craftster photo hosting, it made them all squashy. And, I'm too tired to figure that out tonight!

ETA 2: I still couldn't figure it out, so I just rotated them back to sideways Smiley
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013 09:21:06 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2013 09:08:21 PM »

Battle/Challenge: October Battle Royale (Vampires)
Team: Randomizer
Bonus Points: N/A
Project Name:  Halloween necklace
Brief Description: I bought a pack of these vampire teeth a few years ago and thought they would be perfect for this challenge.  I just added some skull beads and a clasp to make a quick necklace to wear for Halloween.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inselaeffchen
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2013 04:43:57 AM »

Battle/Challenge: Let's Celebrate (OCTOBER)
Team:Multimedia
Project Name:May the Fourth - Jawas
Project Page Link (if available):http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f34/last-minute-jawa-costume-22362/
Brief Description: Most of the members of the Nerd Battles will probably know about "May the Fourth" being "Star Wars Day". Smiley
Hubby decided this year that our twins would be Jawas (and put 100% trust in me to make and finish the girls' costumes in time for a Halloween Party on the 26th).

He made the "ammunition belts" with normal belts and pieces of cardstock.  Due to their age we agreed not to blacken their faces or put a ski mask over their heads to maybe attach "Jawa Eyes".

I found the "pattern" (see link above) while searching, and it was the easiest approach.  Just folded over the fleece, put the kids one after the other onto it and then drew the straight lines (should have given more space around the chest to have them wear it again next year, but have to come up with a new idea for 2014 now. Smiley ). For the hood I just took one of their hooded towels, added about 1-2 inches for width and then gave a small strip around the neck to add the button.

Have to admit - I didn't measure anything really, placing the buttons was guess work, and I never saw the full outfit on the girls until I saw them at the Halloween party (they stayed over at the grandparents while I was working on the hoods, and hubby picked them up to bring to the party!). Was really amazed how well it all worked out in the end.   Grin

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge: Archetype (OCTOBER)
Team:Multimedia
Project Name: The Hero - DC Pumpkin
Brief Description: We're a household of Geeks here, and while hubby and I picked our DC Hero Personas (Blue Beetle & Wonder Woman) we actually named our daughters after SUPERGIRL and MISS MARTIAN. Smiley (Hubby the driving force here, no Marvel allowed in the household for comics - he likes watching the movies, but only because DC don't get their bum in gear to get more movies done!!  Grin ).

So my pumpkin carving seems to involve always some DC characters, specially since the girls were born - first year there weren't any pumpkins, but I sew their "secret identity onesies" Wink 

This year we had a pumpkin with Blue Beetle, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Miss Martian logos. First year I used pumpkin "scraping/shaving" for different shading (really love the effect of that, have to get proper tools for next year!!! Cheesy ) and like how the pumpkin turned out. Even got a "Blue Beetle Signal" working!!  Wink
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Basic Movement - Sprite Sheet
How to Create a Shooting Animation - Sprite Sheets
How to Create a File Structure for Solar System Scene - Photoshop
How to Create an Orb Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Gas Planet - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...