A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EDITED! Camouflage (denim) Peplum! Probably a revolution in military trends  (Read 863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kazuneko78D
« on: August 16, 2013 05:58:36 AM »

EDIT: Added another Camo peplum that I recently made for my tiny cousin. check it out!

Hey again! Cheesy
Actually I wanted to enter the Craftster 10th anniversary challenge but unfortunately due to recent Hari Raya celebrations, I forgotten to submit my entries. Whoopsies! Anyways, as much as I regret not entering (and possibly winning a prize haha!) I really wanted to share my idea of Camo clothing as a 'trend'.

The Camouflage fabric is a fairly light denim fabric which I bought at a local craft store whilst searching for fabric. I stumbled upon it when two 'bulky' men went in the store (which shocked me a bit because I've never seen men like that browse through craft stores here unless accompanied with their wives) and asked for 'pant' fabric. The store assistant led them to the denim section and I hastily followed suit, without coming off as a stalker. That was when I discovered the rack of Camo which ultimately inspired the peplum top. After the men left, I immediately went to the store assistant and bought 2 meters of my favourite Camo fabric. The fabric cost BND$18.00 and was 60 inches wide so it was more than enough for my project.

I also bought a printed waterproof canvas as well as lots of studs and a zipper in the pic.

The Zipper is an 18 inch metal jacket zipper. Because it is a jacket zipper (It can be taken apart into two separate pieces) I wasn't sure how to sew the bottom of it to the peplum so there is an awkward crease/pleat where I tried to sew the bottom like how I sew in the bottom of an invisible zipper. But that's alright because I refuse to believe that people will stare at my butt long enough to notice it Grin

I made the peplum top with a pattern that I borrowed from my dad, with the exception of the puff sleeves. He made patterns specifically for me for my Hari Raya clothes so there wasn't any need to modify most of it. The sleeve pattern I hacked up to make puff sleeves because I thought the puffiness would tone down the 'masculinity' of the Camo print and it looks cute (as well as hide my bulky upper arms). So, yay! Cheesy

Btw, does anybody think that this could possibly be a new twist on the military trend? I think it would revolutionize the trend because I've been waiting to buh-bye to those not-exactly-flattering silhouette of the clothes and the repetitive design of coats such as in http://fashion-for-2014.blogspot.com/2012/08/top-trends-military-jacket-with_23.html. Not that they're all bad designs, it's just gets boring after a while, you get me?

P.S. currently I don't have any shots of me in it due to lack of willing photographers to take vain pictures of me in it. I might edit one into the post as soon as I get an action pic because the top looks less flattering on the small mannequin than on me! Smiley
Diya

EDITED:
Here is a pic of my cousin's tiny Camo peplum.

It was just soooooo tiny (than what I imagined) that the whole time I was making it I thought 'This is definitely too small for anybody to fit in. =_=" Thank god that was only me overthinking. My cousin is a fit kid and quite small for her age, so phew!

Close up of the ruffle sleeve (instead of a cuff sleeve like mine):

And because of her tiny size I had multiple problems with the invisible zipper (the lengths sold here are 6, 8, 16, 18, 19, 20, 24 inches) and 16 was way too long for her but 8 was too short in order for her to go into the peplum comfortable. I decided to just use the 16 in and sewed it till it reached the end of the interfacing under the collar. Then I folded it over, snipped the excess length and secured it by handstitching.

She hasn't gotten it/actually tried it yet (as she lives far away from me and I am not able to give it to her immediately) therefore there isn't any action pics of it... yet.

See you soon!
Diya
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013 02:46:42 AM by Kazuneko78D » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecharlimonster
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013 07:43:45 AM »

That's super cool! I really like it! It might even convince me to get into the peplum trend, which I've been resisting before now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kazuneko78D
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013 04:36:58 PM »

thecharlimonster, yeah you should definitely try it out (at least once) but maybe instead of the usual 'flowy', light peplums you could make them (or buy the ones) with a stiffer fabric, like denim. It looks quite like a statement piece and will be different from most peplums that people wear. Cheesy

(I don't know where you live but) The thick denim also keeps you warm for autumn or early winter. Grin
Diya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecharlimonster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013 06:50:42 PM »

Such a good idea. And now I have an awesome excuse to buy more fabric Tongue Thanks for the idea and encouragement Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sheila Weller Reveals What Readers Think About Her
Tyler Colman Reveals His Favorite Movie
Once Upon a Day Book Trailer
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Terrie M. Williams Talks About Black Pain
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...