A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,377
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TGMBox of Crafty Goodness Swap  (Read 1839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2013 08:11:17 AM »

My boyfriend recently introduced me to the idea of The Great Internet Migratory Box of Electronic Junk, or TGIMBOEJ. I thought, "What a splendid idea, this would be perfect for crafting supplies!"

So I propose The Great Migrating Box of Crafty Goodness, or TGMBOCG.

The short version is that there would be a box or boxes circulating around that contain a plethora of various crafting supplies, ephemera, tools, or even small completed projects. When you receive a Box of Crafty Goodness, you may take out & keep any pieces you may want or need, but you must refill the box before sending it on. Refilling could be based on size, value or quantity, but should always be roughly equal to what is taken out. But adding more would always be welcomed!

For more detailed info on how the original TGIMBOEJ works, check out this link:
TGIMBOEJ Wiki

I don't know if I would be willing to take on this as an organizer by myself, but I would be overjoyed to be a co-organizer with someone!

I think it would work best to try it in the U.S. first, either structuring it as groups or in a claims system similar to the various ongoing swaps. Maybe taking volunteers to start the boxes? I don't know for sure yet, but I think this could be most awesome for destashing & sharing!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013 08:18:03 AM by Painted Sparrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Ninaprettyballerina
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013 10:50:27 PM »

Sounds very interesting and v cool Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nolansmomster

Yes. I am THAT mom.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013 06:51:34 PM »

Maybe run a big circle? Whoever starts the stocked box gets it back at the end? I Love this idea for the things that I maybe was really into one but just don't do much anymore...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2em
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013 07:17:17 PM »

Great idea, I'd be interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Christine~
Proud SAHM to Emma (11/14/07) and Abigail (6/16/11).
http://www.etsy.com/people/mom2em/favorites?ref=pr_faves
http://pinterest.com/mom2em/
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013 01:05:50 PM »

Maybe run a big circle? Whoever starts the stocked box gets it back at the end? I Love this idea for the things that I maybe was really into one but just don't do much anymore...

My thoughts exactly! I have so many things I had to buy a bunch of to use one or two, that will take me forever to use up otherwise. Very good thought about sending back to the initiator. I was thinking doing smaller groups at least the first time around, just to try it out & establish how it works, then maybe rotate boxes or create one big circle with everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013 12:10:22 PM »

Count me in for sure!  I definitely could work with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013 04:20:53 PM »

It sounds a bit like a round robin? I don't think those are allowed as swaps  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013 05:08:34 PM »

It sounds a bit like a round robin? I don't think those are allowed as swaps  Sad

Hm, I've reviewed the swap info guide & my searches didn't turn up anything. I'll check with a swap mod before-hand, though, if I decide to start it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013 07:35:31 PM »

I've done something similar in Scouts where we sent our mascots on tours. A few suggestions: limit the time between send outs or the boxes could be held in limbo forever, set a pre-planned sequence for partner rotation so everyone knows who to send to, limit box size (maybe a medium Priority box) so postage doesn't become a killer and so box can easily be replaced as needed.

Sounds like a fun way to destash, restock, and gather gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
93/50 in 2014, 47/50 in 2013
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013 10:44:40 AM »

Thanks to Painted Sparrow for checking with the swap mods on this one! We've discussed it and here's what was decided. Because no swap of this nature has been held on Craftster before, we're going to allow it as a trial run, with the following conditions:

• the first round should be limited it to a manageable number of swappers (no more than 10 participants). Further rounds may have more participants, but they should all be put into groups of no more than 10, in order to keep the swap from running on for many months at a time
  • swappers should either all be from the same country, or all from Europe
  • use a flat rate box for all shipments, so all the participants know the cost of sending before they sign up
  • specify a swap requirement. Each swapper should include at least one thing they craft, and should add in at least two or three quality supplies. Boxes should be sent to the next person with no less items than when they were received
  • specify a short turn around time for sending the box out once it's received. A week would probably be optional, with the first person in the chain getting two weeks to send. (Swappers can work ahead to be making the craft(s) and getting together supplies)
  • IF someone flakes, anyone in the chain that did not receive the box will have the swap feedback removed from their profile. Only the person who originally sent out the package will be eligible for a swap angel.
  • *optional, but highly recommended: add a requirement to join of having successfully sent on time and completed a few swaps, and carefully check potential participants' prior feedback to weed out people with habitual poor communication and late sending

If someone does decide to run this swap, please let a swap mod know so we can help keep an eye on things and facilitate a fun swap for everyone!

If anyone has anything to add, or wishes to know how we came up with these rules, please feel free to post here or open a help desk ticket.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013 06:35:34 AM by rackycoo - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Perform Graded Wash in Watercolour Painting
How to Perceive Colour
How to Design a Cartoon Boat
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Car
How to Pick Out Drawing Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...