A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,483
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inner Thigh Jeans Repair  (Read 8184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Neon Sharpie
« on: August 14, 2013 12:59:04 PM »

My sister needed her jeans fixed so she gave them to me. The inner thigh fabric has worn away. I hate it when that happens! I've only darned socks before, so I decided to try something new and attempt to fix the jeans. My dad donated a pair of his old jeans. I used the denim from the lower part of his jeans, so now he has a pair of fabulous cut-offs.

I made a paper pattern.

I cut it out, placed it on the inside of the jeans, pinned, and basted in place. To keep the front and back layers separate, I put a plastic box on the inside of the jeans - kind of like if the pants wearer's leg was made out of a plastic box.

I used a straight stitch to make a zig zag pattern over the worn fabric. Over the holes I used an actual zig zag stitch.

I fixed two pairs of jeans. I used up all my blue thread on the first pair, and then switched to grey for the second. The grey actually looks better. It's way less noticeable.

Thanks for looking! If you have any tips or suggestions on how to do this better, please let me know! In the future I think I'll be fixing my own jeans rather than getting rid of them, and if there is a better way to do this (that has stood up to many washings) I'd like to know. 

Cheesy Have a fantastic day!  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my puppy.
TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 01:13:13 PM »

I've actually done this a couple times with my jeans as well, those darn thighs!
Yours look much neater though, not to mention sturdier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 01:21:53 PM »

nice job!  If I ever threw away a pair of my hubby's jeans, he would probably divorce me...I fix them the same way, but he also loves me to patch them with fabric on the outside...sometimes there are patches over patches...

You do a much neater job than I do...I just cut the patch to fit and zig zag away! Great job...but beware--when people find out you repair jeans, you will get many requests Grin...I had to start charging... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Neon Sharpie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013 02:04:58 PM »

Cheesy Thank you so much! It took forever to do all of that stitching and I am so impatient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my puppy.
Neon Sharpie
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013 02:08:02 PM »

You do a much neater job than I do...I just cut the patch to fit and zig zag away! Great job...but beware--when people find out you repair jeans, you will get many requests Grin...I had to start charging... Grin

Ha ha, I know right? In college I charged people on my floor to hem and taper their jeans for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my puppy.
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013 03:26:41 PM »

That's awesome!  My friend wears out a lot of pairs of her work pants this way.  It's great to know that there's a way to fix it, instead of having to go out and buy new pants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013 06:31:28 PM »

That is a hard spot to patch -- good work!  The way I patch jeans is very similar.  I've actually used fusible interfacing for the patch on the inside.  And my stitching isn't a nice grid, just a lot of forward and reverse going all the way over the edges.  But it's the same basic concept as yours.  It holds pretty good, and isn't as thick or irritating at the edges.  Either way, the next time they rip it's at the edge of the patch and stitching.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013 06:34:23 PM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
craftscout
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013 06:27:18 AM »

Thank you for posting this!  I didn't even think about patching this way, I just slapped a patch on, no darning stitches.  And it was so uncomfortable.  Next time my jeans blow out, I'm going to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013 07:02:27 PM »

Thanks for the clear instructions, I may need to try this sometime, although I worry stretch denim won't patch as nicely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Neon Sharpie
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013 06:54:23 PM »

Thanks for the clear instructions, I may need to try this sometime, although I worry stretch denim won't patch as nicely. 

Aw, geez. Good point. My jeans have some stretch to them, too. When my pants start to wear out, I'll try to patch them entirely with zig-zag instead of straight stitch. I hope it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my puppy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
How to Create a Classic Updo
How to Create a Fauxhawk
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
How to Create a Formal Updo
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...