A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epic Star Wars 30th Birthday Party (image intense!)  (Read 1672 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars , birthday , party , jawa , jabba , darth_maul , craftsters_10th_anniversary_cross_category_challenge , category_challenge_winner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SilverWing

dreamer of dreams...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 13, 2013 08:11:00 PM »

To me, Craftster means creativity and using that creativity to bring joy into your life and the lives of those you care about. I can't think of any better way to use that creativity than to throw an epic party for someone you love! My husband turned 30 this past weekend, so I crafted it up to throw him the Star Wars bash he asked for. Smiley  I turned our bonus room into the Star Wars Cantina and we had visits from Jabba the Hutt, a sneaky Jawa, a member of Figrin D'an playing our music, light sabers for the guests, and lots of awesome food. Over all it was a hit. I had to get pretty creative to pull this off under budget, though, lol!

First up is my little Jawa. He was probably my favorite project. He's actually a snowman decoration I got for Christmas a few years ago. He was the perfect size already, he just needed some refashioning. Wink  I sewed his robes, loaned him some gloves, and made a mask out of felt, flat back marbles from the dollar store painted yellow on the back, and my favorite part, two little LED cabinet lights. Dollar Tree had them. They're made in two pieces so that you can attach one to your cabinet door and one to the frame. They're magnetic, so when the magnets are apart, the light comes one. I left them taped together until the party and then separated the magnets. His eyes glowed the whole night! cut holes in the black felt just a tiny bit smaller than my marbles, then glued the marbles to the felt and onto the lights. I safety pined the felt to the snowman's face and dressed him up. Best part is that now he can swap between snowman or Jawa whenever I want. Smiley  That's assuming my husband every gives him back...

This is the little guy all finished up.

Before!

In progress, finished, and glowing! Smiley

Next up is Jabba. This guy was a true recycle project. I found the fabric for him and the jawa's clothes at Goodwill. Jabba's body is trash bags filled with the packing peanuts and paper that some of my husband's gifts shipped in. His head is crumpled paper taped in a ball and then smushed to shape.

I rigged up the Star Wars Cantina song to loop over and over via a speaker in the corner. In front of that I set up my dress maker's dummy after I'd dressed it with grey slacks, black top, my husbands boots, and some more of my gloves. I threw together the instrument out of a wrapping paper tube, pipe cleaners, and some ribbon. The musician's head is simply printed out on paper and cut out, then pinned to the dummy underneath the collar of the shirt. He also had a Rock Band drum set to accompany himself, lol.  The song got old after a few hours, but it was worth it.  Wink

Jabba made himself comfy in the window seat.

The cake was supposed to resemble a scene from the first Clone Wars cartoon in which General Grievous fights six of the jedi at once. It was three cakes on separate teirs, connected by rice crispy treat bridges. The idea was that it would look like the planet the ship had crashed on and the debri from the ship. I sprayed the two smaller cakes with silver food coloring spray.

Darth Maul red pepper chip dip from the Wookie Cookies cook book. This stuff was a hit.

Jedi and Sith symbol cookies.

I also made light sabers for everyone out of Dollar Tree pool noodles and duct tape. I saw several different pins on pinterest with this idea, so I winged it from the pictures. It's basically  just duct tape wrapped around the end of half a pool noodle and accented with electrical tape. I left one red noodle whole and just put the tape in the center so it was like Darth Maul's saber. Ahsoka guarded the weapons for us until the guys were ready to fight. Somewhere long after dark they decided to go outside and beat each other to death with them. Who says you have to act like an adult at 30?

I also created a special restroom sign so my Jedi would be able to find the restroom without trouble. I Google image searched for Star Wars icons and then created something similar in Illustrator.

All in all I think everything turned out really well. The hubby loved it and his friends all had fun. Smiley  My cat even made a new friend.  Wink

Hope you guys like everything! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013 08:12:12 PM by SilverWing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

I <3 personal swaps!

angielou1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 09:41:08 AM »

AWESOME! JABBA ROCKS!
My kids(17-24) thought your ideas were great. I do too! And to think you "made" them with such simple items from home.AND inexpensive! Terrific!  I'm going to have to steal some (O.k maybe all) of your ideas Grin
And to think I wanted to make something like this for my son and daughter(in-law)'s wedding shower just for fun but chickened out. ::)AWESOME
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013 11:24:44 AM »

Great stuff!  Love the shiny eyes!  spooky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

largefarva
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013 04:11:09 PM »

I am voting for you for the grand prize (I already voted for you in the catagory Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverWing

dreamer of dreams...

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013 08:40:43 PM »

Aww, thanks ya'll!  Smiley  Everything turned out way better than I had hoped, which was a nice change, lol. And everything is reusable or can be turned into something else.  ^^  My husband loved it, though, and that was the best part.  I have to say, a Star Wars wedding shower would be awesome. Maybe you can use the ideas for a baby shower sometime in the future?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

I <3 personal swaps!

lava

Ooohh...crafty....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013 08:08:59 PM »

Spectacular!  Love it all, and the pic of them fighting with the noodles made me lol.  Great work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
How to Stitch Seams Together
How to Replace Yarn
How to Select Knitting Needles
How to Sew a Tote Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...